User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Too many color choices!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

vickie

Do you find that there are too many color choices to show homeowners?

Do you just let them from a certain amount of options?

In the past painting my house, for example, made me paralyzed. Last time around we put SureCoat (RCS's good customer) on my house and it only came in 16 standard colors so it was way easier.

In January I am going to build a studio/office in my yard and I want a metal roof. (Someday I'll put metal on my house). There are so many colors, too many. Do you find homeowners/building owners picking the same colors? Is there anything that is new that is interesting?

December 19, 2016 at 12:59 a.m.

kelly1

Metal roof's do have a large choice of color.I remember looking over a metal roof color chart when I was shopping for roof's during a renovation. I gave it up right away as it was way too confusing.I finally had to settle in with a asphalt shingle roofing and I had it installed by a neighboring roofing company ( http://www.rooflines.com/ ). I prefer asphalt shingle to metal.

December 13, 2016 at 2:52 a.m.

Lindsey Hill1

Metal roofs are always priority for me. Along with energy savings, metal roofs often come with warranties of up to 50 years and can last over a century.

November 10, 2016 at 10:20 p.m.

vickie

I used to tell homeowners 'a beautiful home with an ugly roof is like being all dressed up with your hair wet.' There is a subtle difference with a beautiful roof that you just can't put your finger on (unless you look at roofs all day like me). But your house will just look a bit nicer.

November 9, 2016 at 2:16 a.m.

WEHerdon

Yes, I agree. Metal roofs are better than shingles and asphalt. The ventilation in metal roof is much better. Moreover, it won't catch fire. And if it snows in your region then the snow will slide off easily. The best of all it can be repaired at a very low price

November 7, 2016 at 9:35 a.m.

wywoody

When I was distributing and had a showroom, I only displayed what I wanted to sell, not everything that was available.

In the NW, every roof eventually gets pollen on it and that pollen turns a dark grey, so you want to steer the customer towards charcoals or browns.

In my experience EVERY client that has chosen a special order color has eventually been a difficult client. It's a red flag to me and I doubt I would ever do another one.

November 6, 2016 at 5:20 p.m.

natty

Lefty Said: I will ask the customer when the last time they looked at their roof before this. They usually say never.

This is interesting because what you are talking about is curb appeal. After living in a place awhile, it all blends together. But a properly installed roof with enhanced ridge row and straight stacks and clean lines will stand out. They just won't necessarily be able to put their finger on the difference.

I always emphasize what they won't notice is subliminal. Point it out and it will stick with them and make them proud.

November 6, 2016 at 5:12 p.m.

natty

Vickie the Boss Said: Do you find that there are too many color choices to show homeowners?

There are too many colors and too many brands. But that is what is great, and also what is bad. Sometimes it comes down to what is available and whether you are willing to wait on special order items.

In all my years, only a handful have anguished over color and only one has requested a specific brand. All, save that one, go with what I show them. I show them the brands that I like. I don't mind the ones anguishing over color because at that point, I already have their business.

November 6, 2016 at 1:17 a.m.

Lefty1

I will ask the customer when the last time they looked at their roof before this. They usually say never. We only looked at it because everyone else in neighborhood was getting their roof done and our house was built at the same time.

I tell them after we are done you are not going to look at it again. If you are not going to change the color of the siding stick with the color you have now. A designer put these colors together when the development was designed because they go together.

Most just stick with the color.

November 4, 2016 at 6:04 p.m.

seen-it-all

A lot of people have a hard time choosing a suitable colour for a roof. I usually ask what they have in mind and if I think it will look like crap I usually ask if they are planning on painting the exterior or installing new siding. If they say no, I try to get them to view a similar coloured house with a shingle colour that matches.

Some people are just stuck on one colour. Had one years ago that had grey vinyl siding with purple trim and they wanted a cedar tone colour laminate. It looked terrible compared to the other houses on the street.

Mid to late 80's was dual brown, earth tone cedar and 2 tone green. Early 90's was mostly 2 tone grey for a few years. Then came the laminates that had colours that made you think you were in a paint store. Copper canyon, heather blend, prairie wood, beechwood, stone wood, ironwood, and on and on. Each with its own colour of special ridgecapping. Too many choices for most people.

November 4, 2016 at 7:27 a.m.

Lefty1

Roger122 Said: I agree with you that Most of the homeowners are turning towards metal roofs, because of the longevity and durability they offer. Metal roofing has emerged out as a viable option for roofing. If you are considering replacing your roofs with Metal roofs, then consider these things before you make a decision of upgrading your roofs to a metal roof, it is necessary for you to weigh the pros and cons of metal roofing.

http://www.dimensionalroofingusa.com/

First, do you understand that you are talking to contractors not homeowners?

Second, if homeowners are turning more to metal roofs, how comes your website does not address this for homeowners?

November 4, 2016 at 7:16 a.m.

Roger122

I agree with you that Most of the homeowners are turning towards metal roofs, because of the longevity and durability they offer. Metal roofing has emerged out as a viable option for roofing. If you are considering replacing your roofs with Metal roofs, then consider these things before you make a decision of upgrading your roofs to a metal roof, it is necessary for you to weigh the pros and cons of metal roofing.

Benefits of Metal Roofing

Durable:- If we talk in terms of durability, then metal roofs provide extreme durability. They are maintenance free and can last a lifetime. The lifespan of asphalt shingles and wood is about 15-20 years. On the other hand, metal roofs can last upto 70 years or more. Minimal maintenance is its another big advantage. A metal roof is highly resistant to fire, strong winds and can tolerate extreme temperature conditions. If you are residing in areas where there is heavy snowfall, then metal roofs are the best choice for you. The snow melts and slides right off, without causing damage to your roofs.

Versatile:- Metal Roofs are versatile. They are made up of various metals such as tin, copper, zinc, steel etc, hence you can pick the one that best fits your needs. The style options for metal roofs are endless. They come in a wide variety of shapes, textures, and can be even made to mimic the look of wood and other materials. You can also get the roof painted in your favorite color or can also get it repainted if required.

Energy Efficient:- Metal roofs reflect solar heat, and hence can cut back cooling costs. You can see a huge decline in the utility bills of your house when you have installed a metal roof. It regulates the flow of air and keeps your house warm in winters and cool in summers. You can also peace of mind that your roof will not go up into flames, when it is lightening outside. You can also save money on making metal roof repair.

Metal Roofing Drawbacks

Expensive:- The biggest drawback of metal roofing is, the initial costs, which are quite high. If you have plans to stay in your house for long years to come, then it is a good decision of investing in metal roofs, as you will save on seasonal maintenance. However, if you are moving into a house for a couple of years, then you would not get any return on your investment.

Denting:- Most of the people live in an impression that they will not get any troubles, once they have installed metal roofs. But this is not the case. When heavy hailstorms hit your metal roofs, they are likely to get dents. For any of your metal roof repair, trust the job with the skilled and experienced professionals.

Here's my recommendation for professionals http://www.dimensionalroofingusa.com/

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WSCRA - Banner - RCS Ticket Giveaway
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June