User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

T&M

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Sir Bergersworth1

Hi All, What is your typical markup on materials in a T&M situation?

Thanks>>>

April 12, 2009 at 11:54 a.m.

TomB

As Jed said........>>>

April 11, 2009 at 2:28 p.m.

Rozziroofer

Adding 10-15% on to materials is something that is common and should be expected. Your responsible to get the right materials on the job site at the right time, you deserve it.>>>

April 11, 2009 at 9:21 a.m.

elcid

I trust that your G&A expenses are included. Learned an interesting item in a class conducted by the Fails Institute, sponsored by OCF about 30 years ago. Materials purchase can vary from year to year, from 25 to 60% of your costs of doing business, so they claimed it is only logical to assign a similar portion of your G&A. This requires a tight handle on month to month operations. These academics were experts in construction costing, and provided interesting formulas on how to conduct a profitable business.>>>

April 11, 2009 at 9:05 a.m.

builderr

In an economy that forces homeowners to look into every aspect of their sources of information regarding costs, quality, expected lifetime, and installer credentials, One thing I find commonly is homeowners that have a few bucks stored away for home improvements offer this scenarion...."If I can buy my materials at Home Depot or Lowes, I don't have to pay anything until April 2011. This allows me to use the cash I have... to pay you, and pay for material later." Anyone here NOT want that business? residential guys especially. Same with some commercial stuff.....property owners want to set up an account with a wholesale supplier for a huge amount of purchases. You know that your distributor will sell to anyone with a business card....and your portion of their purchase order with this distributor might be minimal, compared to other items... 'windows, doors, millwork, siding gutters etc. So...do you refuse to do business with this guy....especially if he wants a special order item that you know your going to need to pay for it possibly from a distributor that you don't have an account with. One thing I'm noticing, especially from ABC is, previously...before their corporate re-organization....they would special order anything you wanted....now.....it's "nope...all we carry is Ideal Metal roofing...no more Fabral, or Armaclad, or whatever." And I'm talking as a cash contractor....I would pay right there on the spot ...in full for the purchase order to go thru....not the old 50% down...payment when delivered.

And with the newer WIFY programs...."we install it for you", owners have a newer option in front of them where or competition in supplys is now courting our installation business as well. What's a guy to do?

>>>

April 10, 2009 at 11:47 p.m.

egg

Why let them look over your shoulder and time you with a stopwatch? Nary T&M for me. I put it in a number, roll the dice, and hope I make my margin. Of course, that's why all my profits are marginal.>>>

April 10, 2009 at 10:29 p.m.

builderr

I sell retail, for retail, even if I pay wholesale, I don't charge more than you can buy it for, I just don't give up my discount.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

LP Building Solutions - Banner Ad - Remodlers Edge
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
ARCA - Sidebar ad - 55th Annual Roofing Expo
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad