English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Tile roof question

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Jed

Bidding on a large tile roof- new construction- 4 on twelve, 300sq- ice and water shield over plywood two nails per barrel tile, from the print it looks like cake, fairly low to the ground, I need a labour number....I know this question lacks detail but this is all I have right now. Ball park? Robert....woody? Also using "tile clips"? around the perimeter

April 6, 2010 at 7:00 a.m.

Jed

Seems I was quick to shoot with my original reply (what's new) and two sq is the general consensus from those I have spoken to locally. My first thought was 2sq WTF?? harkening back to my own tile days on massive shopping centers and alike but on reflection when the field has been laid, much time is spent mudding in the hips, ridges and valleys, cutting chases in brickwork for flashing etc and there is many a worn toecap from straightening up a course gone awry. That said I have to imagine the different methods play some part in the equation too. One guy I spoke to said you have to lay the tile from above (meaning don't walk on it) That is alien to the crews I worked with, we were all over our tile roofs without a second thought. Maaaybeee a little more care was taken with the little 6 x 10s 'cos they'll crack on the bridge but otherwise the humpers humped, the tilers tiled, and whoever got the cream would lay a 2x6 up the hip and get mudding. Another mentioned the time it takes marking the tile for cuts and then using an angle grinder or con saw. (leaving dust all over the roof) Again we only did this for the valley and then it was an easy one time deal once the valley had been roughed in, snap a line run a saw down it and muck it in. The hips were cut with a hammer and laid. We never secured every tile either nailing only the first two courses then every other so you could always access a "kicker course" for repairs.

Edit: There is no batten system. Ice and water shield over wood deck then tile. Cheep and cheerfull :dry:

April 5, 2010 at 10:04 p.m.

egg

So much is true to my experience also, although as you say that is lay-up only. Basically the smallest easiest part of the job. Drive you crazy if you consistently under-value the time for lay-out, loading (correctly), and cutting/detailing/finishing. End up feeling constantly angry and depressed. I know a guy who laid 45 square in a less than a day...loaders couldn't keep up with him. Course he wasn't nailing much, just shoveling them on. Lay up is easy with a little experience, harder to keep the concrete "S" tile from getting squonky on you than the very forgiving villa and roma types of mechanical tiles. Clay S is actually very hard to fly on without having it turn to garbage on you. Per Jed spec, you'd also be looking at about five thousand nails and twenty-five thousand pounds at that high performance rate (which said square-age I have also done on concrete, but am both too old and far too picky to achieve any longer) What's really unpleasant is to put two nails each in a bunch of tiles and then have someone notice they're not straight enough to suit them and have to go take some of them or some of them and then some more of them or all of them up again and try to adjust the field to get back on track. What kills you is the unproductive man-hours outside of the simple portions of the job and the fixing things when cheap help proves the falsehood of its presumed economy. The profits often seem too good to be true until they either head south and turn into mounting losses or leave you holding the bag on a job where you say to the spectators, "I wasn't actually on that job but the boys worked hard at it (all the while hoping they don't see you standing there with your fingers crossed)"

April 5, 2010 at 6:35 p.m.

TomB

Clay or concrete?

Whats the underlayment system? metal? If concrete; What's the batten system?

For concrete on battens, on a 4/12, my guys would set 8 - 12 sqs/day....I've laid 25+ on straight-run hotel type projects....(that's no mudding of course; The mudding.mortoring can make or break the job depending on the proficiency of the mechanics).

April 5, 2010 at 4:28 p.m.

tinner666

I don't think we ever made over 2 sq, per man, per day.

April 5, 2010 at 4:03 p.m.

wywoody

I used to average just under 40 squares a week with a three man crew. It worked out to be about 2.5 squares per man per day. That was mostly flat tile with ridge taped hips. But if you're talking an s-tile with mortared hips, I think EGG's figure is right in there. There's lots of people that look at how fast you can lay tile in the open field and bid accordingly. I hate bidding against them.

April 5, 2010 at 3:33 p.m.

egg

No offense taken, but to run the underlayment, do the lay-out, load the roof, lay the tile, detail the tile. mortar it in, and clean up the debris, if you get more than an average of 2 sq. per man per day, you will need to ask what didn't get done.

April 5, 2010 at 12:44 p.m.

Jed

No foam adhesive. Clips on the perimeter then the second course only. One piece S tile. Sorry for the lack of info, not my job. (another pm- new guy, questions are being shouted at me from another office)

April 5, 2010 at 12:39 p.m.

wywoody

Is it two-piece cap-and-pan barrel rile or a single s-tile? Directly nailed to the deck or over battens? Do you have to use the foam adhesive like in Florida? I don't like clips an the bottom row, in my area there's always gutters all around, so the tile edge doesn't hang out to catch the wind. Since I have a wide antiponding drip edge around the perimeter, I don't want penetrations every foot at the bottom. I can usually talk them into allowing clips on the second course. Clipped tile will break easier and be far harder to replace as well.

April 5, 2010 at 11:37 a.m.

Jed

Thanks egg, but with respect if I hire a tile guy and all he produces is two sq in one day on new construction then that will be a career ending day for him.

April 5, 2010 at 11:32 a.m.

egg

Start to finish: two squares per man per day.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

METALCON - Banner - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald