User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Third party inspections

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Robby the Roofer

Yes it could be used as ploy...and why not....most contracts (or all) say pay once you are satisfied with the work. And the consultant writing up spec could be a good idea

May 29, 2010 at 12:13 p.m.

seen-it-all

Have the homeowner get the consultant to write up the specs for the job and then see if you can do the job to his specifications. This would negate any problems with the instalation. Just a thought.

My first thoughts were that this is only a ploy to delay payment and shaft you out of some money over some minor details.

May 29, 2010 at 11:01 a.m.

Robby the Roofer

"Stephen"....A good consultant in a residential setting would use common knowledge as a tool ...(to avoid many uneeded arguments where who has the largest....) and the common practice without looking at any instructions is always gonna be eave under and rake/drip edge over. (WATER RUNS DOWN HILL) Eave, though, is most important...drip/rake could go either way.

In a commercial setting it is important to follow the installation instructions/GC installation package to a tee (CLASS ACTIONS).

May 29, 2010 at 7:54 a.m.

jimAKAblue

Stephen Said: I would NOT agree to it. Period.

in the case of a building inspectopr/permit situation-sure-thats fine- the building inspector is there to make sure things were done to code- and the code is right there in black and white.

but a consultant?- what we are really talking about is a professional brother in law, LOL.

Its an argument waiting to happen-and at best a slow pay.

for example- icegaurd.

do you install icegaurd over the drip edge-or under the drip edge?- bet you have a strong opinion which is the proper way.

I can show you 2 well known brands of icegaurd that have opposite recomendations( one over,one under) so-what are you gonna do when the consultant-after the fact ,mind you-says It should have been done this way? and when his OPINION-is in contradiction to your work practices?

Best wishes, Stephen

If that was something that occasionally was disputed, I would have a line item in my written contract that specifically detailed which method I was going to use. That way, they would be agreeing up front. A demand later to change it would result in a change order.

May 29, 2010 at 5:32 a.m.

Stephen1

I would NOT agree to it. Period.

in the case of a building inspectopr/permit situation-sure-that's fine- the building inspector is there to make sure things were done to code- and the code is right there in black and white.

but a "consultant"?- what we are really talking about is a professional brother in law, LOL.

It's an argument waiting to happen-and at best a slow pay.

for example- icegaurd.

do you install icegaurd over the drip edge-or under the drip edge?- bet you have a strong opinion which is the "proper" way.

I can show you 2 well known brands of icegaurd that have opposite recomendations( one over,one under) so-what are you gonna do when the "consultant"-after the fact ,mind you-says" It should have been done this way"? and when his OPINION-is in contradiction to your work practices?

Best wishes, Stephen

May 29, 2010 at 4:18 a.m.

jimAKAblue

Robby the Roofer Said: How would you feel if your bid was accepted by the homeowner only on the condition that a third party would inspect the roof.

Because now the homeowner has shared the company name with you and while researching, you find that the company does not do any roofing (no competion) and only operates in an advisory capacity to residential roofing. Has over 20 years in the industry.

Many of us have accepted those conditions, often in our careers. Every time we agree to work in a locality that requires permits is an example. The third party would be the municipal inspection.

I would enthusiastically agree to a third party inspection without hesitation.

May 28, 2010 at 8:55 p.m.

Old School

If they know what they are doing it would be agood thing. If they don't, the homeowner is wasting their money. The homeowner or a consultant or anyone that wants to come on our roofs are welcome. Don't bother me one whit!

May 28, 2010 at 6:11 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

All of here on RCS are good at what we do, but that is only the small percentage of the roofing population country wide. The rest could be hacking everything up.

I read complaints all the time about sombody else bad work and here many stories how homeowners are getting screwed with bad workmanshop. Would you be upset at the homeowner for protecting thier interest?

I would think it a challege to maintain my status and exceed it where it would be a vidication of the great work that I do. 2nd..... for the sloppy joes in the world, it might force them to put up or shut up. Either way, the customer is probably going to get a good product...Right?

May 28, 2010 at 5:47 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

Would you accept the bid...or have a problem with it and why? That is what I was trying to ask.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Beacon - Banner Ad - Living the dream summer adventure 2024
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar