User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

The truth about canadian healthcare

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

robert

Last thursday my mother went to the doctor and found out she he has 99 % blockage in a main arterie on the outside of the heart,they admitted her to the hospital.Well here it is a week later she is waiting to be transfered from salmon arm to victoria where they will preform the bypass surgey and no idea when this will take place.They say when a bed comes open in victoria,once there she will have to wait untill they decide to operate,so we wait waiting to get a date for her surgery so we can be there as its a long trip frm louisiana.

November 12, 2009 at 7:32 a.m.

robert

Just got home from Canada last night they operated pretty much right after they got her to Victoria.She is recovering very slowly and yes thier still working on the roof of the empress,looks like thier doing it a piece at a time.We met prince charles and camelia in Victoria and David Hasselhoff in Vancouver shooting a movie.

November 7, 2009 at 10:06 a.m.

Jed

This from drudge.

PELOSI: Buy a $15,000 Policy or Go to Jail JCT Confirms Failure to Comply with Democrats’ Mandate Can Lead to 5 Years in Jail Friday, November 06, 2009

Today, Ranking Member of the House Ways and Means Committee Dave Camp (R-MI) released a letter from the non-partisan Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) confirming that the failure to comply with the individual mandate to buy health insurance contained in the Pelosi health care bill (H.R. 3962, as amended) could land people in jail. The JCT letter makes clear that Americans who do not maintain “acceptable health insurance coverage” and who choose not to pay the bill’s new individual mandate tax (generally 2.5% of income), are subject to numerous civil and criminal penalties, including criminal fines of up to $250,000 and imprisonment of up to five years.

In response to the JCT letter, Camp said: “This is the ultimate example of the Democrats’ command-and-control style of governing – buy what we tell you or go to jail. It is outrageous and it should be stopped immediately.”

Key excerpts from the JCT letter appear below:

“H.R. 3962 provides that an individual (or a husband and wife in the case of a joint return) who does not, at any time during the taxable year, maintain acceptable health insurance coverage for himself or herself and each of his or her qualifying children is subject to an additional tax.” [page 1]

- - - - - - - - - -

“If the government determines that the taxpayer’s unpaid tax liability results from willful behavior, the following penalties could apply…” [page 2]

- - - - - - - - - -

“Criminal penalties

Prosecution is authorized under the Code for a variety of offenses. Depending on the level of the noncompliance, the following penalties could apply to an individual:

• Section 7203 – misdemeanor willful failure to pay is punishable by a fine of up to $25,000 and/or imprisonment of up to one year.

• Section 7201 – felony willful evasion is punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment of up to five years.” [page 3]

When confronted with this same issue during its consideration of a similar individual mandate tax, the Senate Finance Committee worked on a bipartisan basis to include language in its bill that shielded Americans from civil and criminal penalties. The Pelosi bill, however, contains no similar language protecting American citizens from civil and criminal tax penalties that could include a $250,000 fine and five years in jail.

“The Senate Finance Committee had the good sense to eliminate the extreme penalty of incarceration. Speaker Pelosi’s decision to leave in the jail time provision is a threat to every family who cannot afford the $15,000 premium her plan creates. Fortunately, Republicans have an alternative that will lower health insurance costs without raising taxes or cutting Medicare,” said Camp.

According to the Congressional Budget Office the lowest cost family non-group plan under the Speaker’s bill would cost $15,000 in 2016.

November 4, 2009 at 6:40 p.m.

seen-it-all

Are they still working on the slate roof on the Empress Robert? They were still doing a section when we were down last spring.

November 4, 2009 at 10:34 a.m.

robert

She got to Victoria sunday night and they operated at 1 pm monday,everything went fine and she is recovering now.We flew up on mon to vancouver and now are staying at the Empress hotel in Victoria.

November 3, 2009 at 8:21 p.m.

Roof Doctors USA

Remember the Walter Reed scandal? That's a Government run Hospital. Maybe the team from FEMA will help run our socialized healthcare system.

Heck, the Department of Defense pays $640 for a toilet seat and $436 for a hammer, the National Park Service's paid $797,400 for an outhouse.

The Army lost track of 56 airplanes, 32 tanks, and 36 Javelin missile command launch-units.

The Pentagon recently spent $998,798 shipping two 19-cent washers from South Carolina to Texas and $293,451 sending an 89-cent washer from South Carolina to Florida.

Congress recently gave Alaska Airlines $500,000 to paint a Chinook salmon on a Boeing 737.

The Office of Education spent $219,592 in 1978 to develop a curriculum to teach college students how to watch television.

The Environmental Protection Agency for spent an extra $1 million to $1.2 million in 1980 to preserve a Trenton, NJ sewer as a historical monument.

Yep. We need to put these fools in charge.

Robert - Sorry to hear about your mothers health problems. Hope it all works out okay.

November 1, 2009 at 3:42 p.m.

Old School

Western medicine. They make us sick and then we demand that we get well on everyone's dollar. go figure.

November 1, 2009 at 2:16 p.m.

robert

My father just called they are finally transfering her today,10 days later.Now we wait for a operating date

November 1, 2009 at 1:00 a.m.

seen-it-all

The system here does have it's faults. Having experienced it close hand with my broken pelvis and then a blood clot that passed through my heart and into my right lung, I've seen lots. When my wife comes with me for tests she always says "Welcome to Turtleville" because everything goes so slow.

They booked an MRI on my shoulder in July and my appointment date came for July 26 2010, almost a year later. WC got it bumped up and jumped the que so I had it done last Wed Oct.28.

October 31, 2009 at 4:24 p.m.

Alba

My friend was diagnosed with severly blocked arteries at 5 o'clock P.M.The next morning at 6 a.m he was on the operating table having triple bypass surgery.That is the good part of our system. The bad part of the US system is that once you lose your job you lose the insurance too.I figured i paid over $15000 worth of premiums during the 5 years that i worked for my last employer.I never went to the doctor.When i lost my job i was offered Cobra which was $375 a month dental not included.As my income dropped i decided to do without insurance.If i get sick I'll be in debt forever and all that money i've paid in the past on insurance i never used won't count for anything.

October 30, 2009 at 6:48 a.m.

Jed

The truth is it is "free" for those that need "free", and the doctor is right, essentially it isn't "free" at all because we all contribute from our gross wage,.... if we are working. For those who don't need "free", they will go private and have the work done in a timely manner. Most prefer this option for two reasons, a) it is done when you decide, b) there is more of a chance the work is done right. "Free" equates to adequate if you get my drift.In the UK it is called a National Insurance contribution and is deducted from your check along with taxes etc. Also, back when I was a kid, trips to the dentist were "free". The dentist pay scale was calculated on a work "performed" basis......meaning, if he filed down your two front teeth and crowned them, as opposed to just filling the small cavity that bridged the gap between the two, he would make a lot more dosh. Thanks a lot Dr Lakhani.

October 29, 2009 at 6:58 p.m.

Old School

No good deed will go unpunished!

October 29, 2009 at 5:44 p.m.

Dr.ROOF

It's not free man! The people that actually work in this country get taxed to death to pay for it. And then when someone that has actually made a contribution to the system gets sick, they get to wait in line behind the people that have abused the system since birth and the immigrants that have done very little to contribute to the system.

Sorry your mom is sick Rob.

October 29, 2009 at 5:27 p.m.

Pot Gregory

....yea, and this is the type of public option system Washington and nobama are tryin to push on us...right?

October 29, 2009 at 4:12 p.m.

robert

And if they deem somebody else more critical then her she will be bumped,so the truth is it sucks!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick - June
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23