User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

The shape of the roof effects wind damage?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

vickie

I just saw this article and thought the concept was unique but it didn't list any of the "Modern roof shapes" it's referring to. What's a modern roof shape?

It also writes that some of our wind resistant applications are assuming that the wind is coming from one direction which is also an interesting thought.

Isn't it true that if mother nature wants your roof off that nothing is going to keep it on?

I did meet a guy about a year ago at a trade show that has a roof that will adhere with wind.

Lot's of questions for you guys. Now show me how smart you are!

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2016/10/13/Scientists-pit-modern-roof-shapes-against-high-speed-winds/7971476366447/

October 20, 2016 at 5:20 p.m.

Lefty1

Some people talk to hear themselves talk. Seems like this guy writes to see himself in print.

He says you do not have to worry. There is no danger, but lets write some new building codes.

October 18, 2016 at 9:03 a.m.

wywoody

In my years of observing and dealing with wind damage, I have found that hip roofs are better at resisting damage than gable roofs (except for hip trim) and that uplift is more likely to occur 3-5 feet in from the edge than starting at the edge of the roof.

October 16, 2016 at 10:23 a.m.

Old School

Probably the steep roofs with lots of angles and hips and valleys; like they used to have in the 20's and 30's and early 40's before the war and the "Ranch" house. Everything old is new again...blah, blah, blah!

October 15, 2016 at 7:52 p.m.

vickie

So what do you thing they were referring to when they said modern roof?

October 14, 2016 at 8:21 p.m.

Old School

Well, the wind is always doming from one direction at any time. It may be coming from different directions at different times, but I don't think that is what you are talking about.

As far as Mother nature taking off your roof, A jet plane can fly at the speed of sound and not lose it's skin, so it depends on how the "skin or roof" is attached. A round roof and building will react quite differently than a square building. The round shape lets the wind flow around the building without "catching" anything, just like the shape of an airplane. The airplanes are either riveted or glued together to keep everything from moving too. You can do the same thing with a roof, but it costs a lot more.

As far as the roof that adheres with the wind, those are designed to have the wind suck the air from beneath the sheet to let the atmospheric pressure push the sheet down and hold it on the roof. IF there is a failure in the structure, the whole thing will blow apart, but as long as it holds, the harder the wind blows, the tighter the roof holds down.

A dome or sphere would be a great shape for a roof to resist the wind pressure. It is harder to roof though.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Spanish Lunch & Learn Series
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway