User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

The jobs I hate!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

tinner666

I got another one of these yesterday. I get 6-8 a year, and currently have 3 on hold for 'repairs' or a redo. This, on top of my nromal workload. It's really sad and I hate getting these jobs.

"I had contacted you about a year ago and you

came out and gave me an estimate for my

slate roof. I went with a lower bid and now,

I am regretting that decision. One of the

main issues that I am having now is my built

in gutters are leaking all around the house

and I am concerned about water damage to the

soffits. The other issue is that I want to

make sure that my roof is okay considering

the money that I paid this so called “master

roofman” to do my slate. I will be out of

town for most of the weekend, but I would

like for you to come out and take a look,

you don’t need me for that." :(

March 20, 2010 at 3:41 p.m.

andy

I have a real appreciation for the hacks . . . they are a large part of the success of our company. But for their lousy workmanship, we would have been off at least another 30% last year.

I do feel sorry for the consumers who don't make good purchase decisions out of ignorance. Some lessons are more costly than others . . . .

March 20, 2010 at 10:51 a.m.

Old School

I don't get mad, I just make more money when I do it the right way the second or third time. I figure if they can afford to do it wrong twice, they hae enough money to do it right the third time.

March 20, 2010 at 10:23 a.m.

tinner666

OK. Here's my take. Never form an opinion, or if I do, I immediately delete- it, until I/you walk in THEIR shoes. We never know what's with anybody. I've smiled and said I was fine, even with broken bones. I've been sick and said I was OK. WE ALL HAVE. We have all also looked at that Sony and had to settle for the magnavox. Or looked at that Ford we couldn't afford and gotten stuck with a Chevy. Went with Craftsman when we really wanted Mac. It's life. I wish no ill of them. Why should I? I'm only looking for clients that can afford me. I'm not marketing to everybody. I don't get into bidding wars either.

It is what it is. There are K-mart customers. (Me) There are Macy's customers. (Not me) It's what it is. :)

March 20, 2010 at 9:24 a.m.

tico

2ndgen Said: Great for you T. :)

Another customer I had bid a building renovation for flat out told me that she wanted to do the work now because she knew there were a lot of good contractors that were out of work and that needed the job and that theyd do it for pennies. In other words, she was taking advantage of their desperation...another millionaire.

this is rampant in S.Fl folks are really gouging fo the low ball price. they want repairs that would run 600,easily,done for 15 an hour. so many folks that used to pay the trade repair price are rooting out the unemployed,once employed by A contractor,tradesman.circumventing many processes.the liscensed and insured contractor,the permiting process and the garunteeing process. I don't have A problem in this world going to sleep and praying they get rain through the roof,water through the plumbing or A thief through the window due to gouging and bottomfeeders. I'd hate for the thief to kill them but I'd be ok if they punched them in the head.

March 20, 2010 at 9:08 a.m.

2ndgen

Great for you T. :)

The customer I gave an example for had money flowing out of their ears. They weren't folks who were down on their luck. I understand your compassion for those who are struggling though.

Another customer I had bid a building renovation for flat out told me that she wanted to do the work now because she knew there were a lot of good contractors that were out of work and that needed the job and that they'd do it for pennies. In other words, she was taking advantage of their desperation...another millionaire.

I never went back.

I blame no man for doing what they need to do to feed their families, it's just that right now, we're in a (said in a Daffy Duck voice) "revolting" time.

March 20, 2010 at 8:57 a.m.

tinner666

2ndgen Said: Git da fudge out of here! come look at it while Im away? Screw them Tinner! Let them pay someone else MORE now! They dropped a dollar to go pick up a penny.

I had the same deal a few days ago. Came to WV to do a roof. Once I got here, they gave the job to a family member master general contractor who preceded to screw up the roof on their million dollar house and take a month to do it.

So, they call me back. Oh, our roof is leaking more than before! How soon can you get here? When can you do the job? I come back to WV and on within hours of arriving, Im on their roof photographing everything and have a proposal to them with a dozen pictures within hours.

When they get my measly price to fix up the guys screw ups (because I felt sorry for them) and to finish sections he didnt even touch that were part of the job, I get...Well let you know. We have to get some other prices.

:angry:

Ok, fine...go hire some toothless no-name out of work handyman jack leg shoe maker! Enjoy when you get screwed the 2nd time. And Ill laugh my arse off just like I did the first time.

Now, Im never going back.

Some people just deserved to get F-ed.

That hasn't been my experience Steve. I get the jobs. I get much more than I first bid them too. I just feel sorry that they pay twice. :( And the referrals from these keep coming. I'm easily backlogged into Aug. or Nov. this year. Or into 2011. I just finished one from '09. And a change order there, is now scheduled for next month.

I just feel so sorry for the home owners. And these DO get pushed farther back than regular and first time clients. A different one called last night and said he had bought larger buckets for his attic. I honestly feel very sorry for them and hold no ill thoughts for anybody except the jacklegs that got them into a deeper hole than they started with. :(

March 20, 2010 at 8:47 a.m.

2ndgen

Git da' fudge out of here! "come look at it while I'm away"? Screw them Tinner! Let them pay someone else MORE now! They dropped a dollar to go pick up a penny.

I had the same deal a few days ago. Came to WV to do a roof. Once I got here, they gave the job to a family member "master general contractor" who preceded to screw up the roof on their million dollar house and take a month to do it.

So, they call me back. Oh, our roof is leaking more than before! How soon can you get here? When can you do the job? I come back to WV and on within hours of arriving, I'm on their roof photographing everything and have a proposal to them with a dozen pictures within hours.

When they get my measly price to fix up the guys screw ups (because I felt sorry for them) and to finish sections he didn't even touch that were part of the job, I get..."We'll let you know. We have to get some other prices."

:angry:

Ok, fine...go hire some toothless no-name out of work handyman jack leg shoe maker! Enjoy when you get screwed the 2nd time. And I'll laugh my arse off just like I did the first time.

Now, I'm never going back.

Some people just deserved to get "F"-ed.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MRCA - Banner - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)