User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
USG - Sidebar - Wind
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

the great truck debate

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

TARBABY

Okay fellas, I need some help choosing a truck. My f150 is 7 years old, runs great, and is my fave truck I have ever owned, and I have owned lots of P.o.S. Its the only truck I have bought brand new and I am going to keep it for a repair and estimating truck.

I am killing the poor thing now pulling trailers with it, and I would like to extend the trucks life as much as possible.

So here are my top contenders for purchase.

97 dodge 3500 cummins engine. 190k miles 99 f350 7.3 power stroke. 300k miles.

I am leaning more towards the dodge because of the lower mileage and I like the body style, but some people I have talked to ranted and raved about the greatness of the 7.3 power stroke.

Both trucks are 8500.00 and the sole purpose of the truck will be for pulling trailers (dump and flat bed).

any thought or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

August 1, 2010 at 7:03 p.m.

andy

Jim,

There are many options out there for increasing HP. That same basic engine is used in marine applications rated at 600hp, so there's plenty of reserve strength left in that set up. However, marine application is used at much lower rpm over extended time. The same basic engine was used in the Case IH Magnum series ag tractor, and Skytrac uses that engine profile also, but in a 4 cyl inline configuration.

I would be careful of increasing hp over stock until you beef up the auto trans. I've always left my Cummins stock because I need the trucks to "be there" every day. I believe that once deviation from stock happens, shortened component life can be expected. That being said, I've known individuals who have boosted power with no ill effects, but they use the increased hp wisely. (Not a lot of hole shots or truck pulls). I'm not convinced of the fuel mileage claims . . . . seeing is believing . . .

If you research the site I pointed to there's lots of really great info. If you see keeping that truck for the near future, the $35 membership fee will be money well spent. That's a great bunch of guys on that forum. Not too many ego's, and ready to help IMHO.

Andy

July 27, 2010 at 9:54 a.m.

Pot Gregory

At 300k miles on the ford git ready to do sum serious maintenance, especially if it has an E4OD trans.If it is 6 speed, maybe not. I have a 95 F250, with 300k miles on it, that I just won't give up. It is imo, the 2nd best truck that ford ever rolled off the line, I also owned the 1st best one too, it was an 86 F350 that I put 400k miles on, then sold it to one of the guys that worked for me back then and he is still driving it today. It's got to have at least over 600k on it and still going strong. In the last 4 yrs I have prob. spent 5K+ on my f250, on things that just wear out, but she still gits the job done......no engine rebuild, but a new automatic tran.,all the electrics to the injector system, couple of waterpumps, some front end suspension stuff, couple of starters. One of the best moves I ever made is switching from Rotella to Shaeffer oil, which I wood recommend to anybody to use. 10,000 mile oil change. ;)

July 27, 2010 at 9:21 a.m.

jimAKAblue

Thanks for the advice/tips Andy. If the tranny starts acting up, I'll try the tin foil wrap and poke around that site.

I normally get about 19 MPG and can nurse it up to about 22 if I'm doing a lot of highway. I've got a 3 speed automatic with Overdrive.

Overall, I've gotten my money's worth but I was very dissappointed about having to pay so much for brakes and seals over the lifetime of the truck.

A friend was telling me about a computer module (or chip) that I could add that would greatly increase Horsepower and/or fuel mileage. Do you know anything about this?

July 26, 2010 at 7:48 p.m.

andy

Jim,

Try noodling around on turbodieselregister.com. Lots of good info there. If I recall, your shifting issues might have something to do with electrical noise getting into the communications buss link on that truck. The recommended cure was a shield of some kind for the hot and/or ground cable at the battery if memory serves. My '99 did the same thing, but not frequently enough to annoy me. Dealer tech said to wrap the battery cables with tinfoil, but I never got around to it. I did have a couple of axle seals replaced under warranty. The first trans failure on that truck was at 175,000 miles, after five years of commercial plowing, towing our roofing dump trailer and our 26' travel trailer. Didn't figure it owed me a dime.

I've spoken with owners of newer model Dodge/Cummins trucks. They aren't particularly happy with the short longevity of suspension and brake components, and as the hp and torque increase, the fuel mileage is dropping. Our '91 with the 3 spd auto (no overdrive) routinely clocked 21 - 23 mpg. Not sure we'll ever see those numbers again on these newer trucks.

July 25, 2010 at 9:33 p.m.

jimAKAblue

I've got a 99 dodge ram diesel. The engine is as tight as it was new at 225k. I've had a lot of problems with the brakes...a LOT of problems...and I'm not particularly hard on them. I had problems with leaks in the main seal and tranny seal. I think I remember paying to have at least three seals replaced.

The tranny was/is an issue. It started acting up in it's second or third year. It would cycle up and down from overdrive at about 45mph. The dealers switched sensors several times. They never really fixed it. it would work for awhile then start that annoying cycle again. Then it would suddenly stop the cycling. I had to rebuild the tranny at about 200k. Within a month, the cycling started again. It stopped as suddenly as it started and it has been more than a year since it's acted up.

All in all, I'm not real happy with the dodge. My families a Chrysler family, but I'd probably buy something different.

July 25, 2010 at 2:05 p.m.

Mike H

Billy,

I don't have your e-mail address, but the best way to get the info you are looking for is to e-mail my brother Ryan and ask about the trucks we have for sale. I think we have 3 older trucks, two chevy's one Ford, and all three are crew cab, 8' beds, 1 tons. $3,000 would get your pick. They were all crew trucks, so the interiors may be rough, but we maintain our vehicles well. I try to rotate them every 10 years, but these ones are a little older than that, I believe. We have had them in reserve, but I'm tired of looking at them sitting around.

RyanAtHRI@aol.com is his email address. Put "Mike said you have some trucks for sale" in the subject line. I'll tell him to watch for your e-mail.

PS: the Ford comment above was a joke. I like the seats in Fords, and have developed a good relationship with my Ford dealer, but all three brands have worked well for me. Dodges have had more problems than others, but I've never owned a Dodge diesel.

July 24, 2010 at 7:05 p.m.

TARBABY

So looks like I am going to be needing to buy another van as well, My top foreman totaled this morning on the way to work, picture in another thread, he is in bad shape.

Mike if you do not mind, would you email what trucks you have for 3k? I might bypass the van if you have a king cab for sale. LThomeservicesllc@gmail.com

thanks for all the advise guys. that is why I post here, the wealth of knowledge a man my age can pick up from you guys is priceless.

July 24, 2010 at 6:35 a.m.

ottawa_roofer

IF your trucks going to be pulling, all i have to say is"cummins engine."

So that being said, Sorry guys, Love my full size Toyota.. :blush:

July 23, 2010 at 6:58 p.m.

copperman

I'm with Mike with this one. My '99 F250 with the 7.3 has run like a champ. Never had cold start problems until the 6 year old batteries got weak. Once replaced no more hard starts. Got 160,000 on it now and still looks show room clean. Only thing I ever had to replace was a water pump at 120,000. I to think the price is way to high in this economy! Take Mike up on his offer This is not mine , but it looks just as good

July 23, 2010 at 5:15 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

Fords later than 99 are good investments. Diesel trucks last a long time and 200,000 miles is probably your brake point where major repairs become prevailant. So I worry about the 97 dodge. With the F350 There is a good chance the trany has been replaced and the engine rebuilt (maybe). If the owner cannont provide documentation of this, then ask to come down on the price. You are looking at $4,000 and $6,000 respectively to repair such items.

Dodge...ready to break down anytime

or

F350...already been repaired and has added life

I would choose the F350 !

July 23, 2010 at 3:20 p.m.

andy

Billy,

No disrespect for Mike H., but I've owned a few fords, and while they are good work trucks, the Cummins powered truck is the better of the two you are considering. That being said, I just let a '99 Dodge/Cummins with the front and rear plows go for 7500 late last summer. That truck had 225,000 miles on it. I believe there are better deals to be had out there than the pricing you are looking at.

My current truck is a 2001 Dodge/Cummins with 227,000 miles. Original auto trans and motor. Just routine maintenance. Showing a little Michigan cancer. If you do purchase an F brand diesel truck, make sure it has the 7.3 as that is the best of the bunch for that manufacturer.

July 23, 2010 at 2:37 p.m.

Mike H

Billy,

I firmly believe that the only people that argue about trucks are people that have never owned a Ford.

However, as much deep affection as I have for my 7.3 F-250, there is NOWAYINGODSGREENEARTH that I would pay 8500 for either one of them. If you just want a trailer puller, I have a couple of trucks I'd let go for $3000.

July 22, 2010 at 9:21 p.m.

wywoody

I have a 7.3 in a 93 Navistar. It's hard starting first thing in the Winter. After warming up runs fine all day long. I have a neighbor with two vans with Powerstrokes and they're hard starting, too. I seem to see more smoke coming out of old Fords than old Dodges, too. But that's not very scientific. Go with the Cummins.

July 22, 2010 at 9:11 p.m.

tico

Dodge,with the cummings.

July 22, 2010 at 9:05 p.m.

robert

Go with the lower miles i have one dodge a 99 but its gas v10 its a hog, a bunch of fords 300k is a lot of miles.The cummins will out live the dodge body.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

NRCA - Banner - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad