English
English
Español
Français

The Good Problem

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Chuck2

We had over 4 inches of rain here last Sunday night a week ago. I'm usually doing a few estimates for a day or two and then a few jobs. Back and forth like that. Telling peeps I can get to the work within just a day or two.

Well, I've been running estimates for a solid week now and just got caught up today. ( About 30 leads ran ) No one got left out but it pushed me to the brink just like the flood we had back in the spring when it rained 6 inches over night. For the last few days, I had to tell them that it will be two weeks or longer before I can do the work but was still unable to scare anyone off. Not that I wanted to but I guess I was just afraid it would because with repairs people usually want the work done pretty fast.

I had to pause my Google Adwords campaign for the first time ever. Now it's time to roll up my sleeves and get all these jobs done. A lot of chimney flashings, etc. I plan to turn the advertising back on a couple days before the last job is done. I just can't handle any more work right now and don't trust anyone else to do any of it properly. I did nearly 400 repairs in the last couple years, had only one warranty issue and I'd like to keep it that way.

How's the workload with "Yeez Guys"? :cheer:

December 1, 2014 at 8:45 p.m.

Chuck2

I was there in Homestead, FL for about 6 months Darryl. From Thanksgiving until April. This is nothing like that at all. It just doesn't take too much to keep one guy busy for a while. We had a 100 mph straight line wind storm here back in 2001 when I was still replacing roofs and I had 8 crews working full time. While that's less than 1/3 of what you had going on, I certainly know where your coming from. :cheer:

December 1, 2014 at 12:25 p.m.

spudder1

I remember Hurricane Andrew down in Miami area I and 5 sales people ran around for a year trying to get caught up on the leads, then it stopped, I had 27 crews out doing everything from re roofing,repairs, rebuilding housing and fabricating some new construction, it was a rough time for some like me insurance rates went thru the roof truck repairs were out of sight something that I don't want to go through again most of my contractor friends closed up shop when all the work was completed when the smoke cleared cleared I wonder were everyting was B) :woohoo:

December 1, 2014 at 7:59 a.m.

Chuck2

It's been two weeks now since the flood. I've got this week booked with jobs and not taking any new appointments until next week. It was pretty cold the first week running leads. A little better the second week doing some of the work but still cold in the mornings. And now its improved greatly to 65-70 degrees all this week to finish up what I sold. It's a blessing, just hard to tell in the midst of it all sometimes but I'm grateful. :)

November 30, 2014 at 8:17 p.m.

clvr83

Vaa Fakaosifolau Said: I did attempt to do some PVC one day it was 65kmph steady, gusting to 110km every 10 minutes or so.

:blink: That's rough! I did a TPO job next to a cornfield a few weeks ago that was gusty. I tried to be thankful that we didn't have to deal with that, or worse, often. 25mph steady winds. Ended up laying out all the sheets and weighing them down. Had no rain or dew expected and it was as simple as they come.

Weak, I know :)

November 25, 2014 at 5:02 p.m.

clvr83

Glad to hear for you, getting that OT! We had a super storm blow through in '08 and repairs have been a huge part of my business since.

We had a slow start to the year then pedal to the floor since May 1st. Slowed down this fall, but haven't ran out. We just sold an easy 110sq prevailing wage job, but can't do it below 45 degrees, so it may have to wait until spring. :(

We've got highs near 60 next week so I'm actually going to be able to do two small modified bitumen jobs I sold JUST before the temps dropped.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

NRCA - Banner - Empower All 2024
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
NRCA - Side Bar - Empower All 2024
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Take Control of Your Work Day
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all