User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

The decline of a neighborhood.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

natty

There are 22 houses on my street. All built in 1955 originally roofed with tar and gravel. Over the years I have roofed 14 of them with much effort, I add, because of the pitiful previous roofs I had to tear off and repair. This is a picture of my next door neighbor's "new" roof. I had roofed it 25 years ago with nary a problem until last year. The double coverage roll roofing I had used on the 1/12 was finally failing. I told my neighbor to call insurance and they granted her a new roof. However, because she had a cut-rate policy, she did not collect replacement value and only received $3200. I gave her a price of $4800 and that was a deal. Material was going to cost $2400. I was going to do a complete tear off, double coverage underlayment on the 2/12, special valley underlayment, 4 1/2" exposure with 15 sq. name brand 3-tabs, and 8 sq. self adhere base and cap on the 1/12. Everything was going to be new and I was even going to fix the ventilation.

Two weeks ago on a Saturday, 6 guys show up with a pallet of un-wrapped seconds. They tear off the front leaving the old felt and valley. They did not tear off the double coverage roll roofing and did not install new underlayment. They slapped on the seconds and were gone in 6 hours. Material could not have cost more than $500 if they had indeed purchased it.

I do not know if she got scammed or if she is just stupid because I had explicitly warned her that you can not shingle a 1/12 pitch and that shingling a 2/12 is risky without extreme caution.

December 8, 2014 at 8:53 p.m.

cts racing

Well, you know what's coming next after it starts leaking...

...the dreaded 'blue' roof.

December 8, 2014 at 7:38 p.m.

Chuck2

Well, shoot! I hate to hear that one of the crews from around here has traveled to your area. But it's all good because there's plenty of other equally crappy crews still here to make up the difference. :laugh:

December 8, 2014 at 6:37 a.m.

spudder1

We could not use double coverage selvage all of our low pitch had to be modified or go back to T&G when people looked at the price difference they usually chose T&G I was finally able to cut a deal with the mfg of a modified which brought the price down, and with a double 10 & 10 warranty we were able to to sell a modified system rather than the old T&G

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

IB Roof - Banner - RLW Watch - Myths Vs. Reality
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad