User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

The 4 Secrets of a Great Roofing Takeoff ...PlanSwift???

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

T-Dub

I came across a post on LinkedIn titled "The 4 Secrets to a Great Roofing Takeoff (Obvious, but Seldom Used)". Pretty cool, but the thing that blew me away - this guy was using PlanSwift to measure roofs on-screen. Anybody use PlanSwift for takeoffs?

Here's the link if you want to check it out. It's actually a video. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/four-rarely-used-secrets-great-roofing-takeoff-john-salmons?trk=prof-post

November 25, 2016 at 10:19 a.m.

TomB

We use "Quickeye" - I searched around a few years ago & tried a couple -

November 24, 2016 at 10:22 a.m.

Old School

That is funn6y as hell! I take a print and a tape measure and I can do a take off in about 60 seconds. They break down each odd shaped side and make it complicated. You have to add for the waste anyway. One of the first things I will do is roughly measure the foot print of th3e house. You know then that the roof has to be more than that. Then, just break it down into rectangles. 2 or 3 will normally take in the whole roof and they are easy to multiply. A tape measure makes a great adding machine when figuring drip edge or ice and water shield. On a big print, I might have 10 or 15 feet of tape out as I just keep pulling it out of the case going around all of the elevations. then, you note the number of inches and multiply it by 4 or 8 depending on the scale of the print.

I had an engineer once that brought in a set of prints. He had it figured himself, and had taken all of the measurements and converted to inches and got the square inches of area and then divided by 144 to get the square feet. I did my thing with a tape, and got the numbers in about a minute and he almost shit himself. Kind of hard to beat a man at his own trade.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CC-Season5-UnlockingEfficiency-July11-Banner-Watch
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all