User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Tar and Gravel

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RandyB1986

I have a small flat roof that ties in with a shingled roof. I need to replace both shingles and flat roof. Do I have to tear off the tar and gravel or is there a better way to do it? What is usually under tar and gravel? I have never torn off this stuff....I am visioning a base sheet with tar and several ply sheets/tar covered with pea gravel on top.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!>>>

July 28, 2009 at 5:28 p.m.

robert

The best way to do it si to pay someone else to do it! :laugh:>>>

July 28, 2009 at 2:27 p.m.

CIAK

Mike Yeah that was the bottom for my company . Work from where it is the hardest and go to the easiest . There are always exceptions . I would never start if there was a major chance of rain. Always tried to work once not twice , tear off sweep and dry in ad nauseum . The common rule start at the break work toward the rest . Roofing 101 Really pretty simple . ;) B)>>>

July 28, 2009 at 12:01 p.m.

Jed

Jed Said: Randy, Yes, if the edge is your low side start at the edge, just tear it all off same as any other type of roof, there is nothing at all to dread. Down to the deck, nail a sanded base sheet, torch down the smooth innerply, and then the cap. Dont forget to use asphalt primer before you strip in the edge metal. Start the innerply on a half sheet so the cap doesnt lay seam on seam. Easy

For those whose comprehension of the english language would rival a three yr old (ciak) The obvious implication (obvious due to the sentance structure) of my first sentance is thus :- You start at the "low side" because if you get caught in the rain it is easier to effect a tie in (slide in under the old) and when going back with the new you won't be lapping the wrong way. The reason for my previous post however was primarily concerning the latter part of what is written above. The tie in part can be argued either way depending on circumstance, ie if the shingle roof adjoins at the upper gradient, which it probably does.>>>

July 28, 2009 at 11:39 a.m.

CIAK

Spudder That how we always did it. Start where it is the hardest and work to the easy. If there is such a thing in roofing . T/O's I would insist that the job site foreman start there. Had to break some arms every now and then when some " Yo - Yo " would try to start at the edge. Best roofing install is bur 3 ply solid mop IV and SBS mod caps . I would pit this system up against the coal tar and I believe win !!!!>>>

July 28, 2009 at 6:32 a.m.

Spudder

I would start at the tie in and work your way to the edge, we use tear off spades for small decks for larger decks we use a roof cutter and a Gravely or roof ripper. It's a piece of cake. Now if the roof is coal tar pitch then the adhesive is called Tar, if the roof is asphalt based then we call the adhesive asphalt 2 different materials 2 different names. I will assume that the deck is composed of wood depending where you are located the fastening will be mechanical we use tin tags and nails, if we use insulation the we use plates and screws or nail the insulation down and mop a base sheet or set set a 4 ply shingle style, our speciality would be for a BUR base sheet 3 plys ply IV and a modified granulated cap sheet.>>>

July 27, 2009 at 2:44 p.m.

Jed

Randy, Yes, if the edge is your "low side" start at the edge, just tear it all off same as any other type of roof, there is nothing at all to dread. Down to the deck, nail a sanded base sheet, torch down the smooth innerply, and then the cap. Don't forget to use asphalt primer before you strip in the edge metal. Start the innerply on a half sheet so the cap does'nt lay seam on seam. Easy>>>

July 27, 2009 at 2:31 p.m.

RandyB1986

Thanks Guys...I will let you know how it goes. The last flat roof I did was torch down and it came up very easy and base was easy to pull.

This one dont look as easy. Looks like it is tar and gravel....and then over the years has had some extra tar applied. Where do you guys start them at......the edge? I dread it......

Thanks!

Randy>>>

July 27, 2009 at 12:17 a.m.

egg

Your only concern is probably the base sheet attachment. If it was mechanically attached or sprinkle-mopped, you don't have a problem. If it was solid-mopped you do. The only way a heavily mopped base sheet will come up is if it is cold. Once the sun heats it, you might as well call it off until the next A.M. Even solid-mopped membranes usually come off cleanly if they aren't too "green." All in all, tearing off tar/gravel membranes is not difficult, they come up in slabs if you do it right. I've always enjoyed it. We keep a variety of tear off tools on hand and let the job determine just which ones work the best.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS - L&L contest
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad