User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Subcontractors Needed

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

masteroftheroof

We are looking for Labor Subcontractors for Single-Ply and Modified work in Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Anyone interested?

June 29, 2010 at 2:05 p.m.

masteroftheroof

We have work now

June 28, 2010 at 4:46 p.m.

Jed

Tom, I was'nt taking issue with anything you wrote. jim blue is the one who got me puzzled.

June 28, 2010 at 4:12 p.m.

CIAK

This is the advice I would follow hiring subcontractors ...It would be very prudent for you to consult an attorney. You will need advice on how to structure and organize an agreement between you and your subcontractors. A standard agreement may suffice for subcontractors, but it would be best to have it vetted by an attorney first. Once you have your agreement in place, then you are in business! The government doesn't care if subs are hated or not on this forum . It is best to do it right.

June 28, 2010 at 1:17 p.m.

TomB

Jed,

I took the "They hate subcontractors here" statement, in the context I wrote above....When one "subs" the labor of his/her own primary business it doesn't sit well with some....

It's a phenomenon that's taken over the residential roofing industry, primarilly in states that lack contractor licensing. It especially affords the hiring of illegal aliens.... It's wrong and illegal, however prevails.....it's "just one of those things".....

June 28, 2010 at 9:16 a.m.

TARBABY

What do you mean I am not a door knocker/contingency contract kind of guy..? Im a bit confused about the connection of those two terms. Are you okay with other forms of cold calling but not door knocking? Are you against the use of a contingency clause on a contract?

Before early 09 here, noone and I mean NOONE used contingency contracts until the stormers showed up with slick salesmen, contingency contracts and the promise of a FREE NEW ROOF for signing.

I tried sales like that and I always felt like a slimeball, it does not sit right with me personally. Now will I jump out of the truck and knock on someones door to give a card or free estimate to someone who has a visibly damaged roof or a tree on it? hell yes, and I get alot of work that way. The stormers are still coming in but the local forums are abuzz from unhappy homeowners and the people here are getting hip to their schemes.

June 28, 2010 at 9:07 a.m.

jimAKAblue

humbled Said: Everyone needs to start somewhere, from what I have seen, most of the really good subcontractors are fantastic at their jobs and their workers know what they are doing, but sales is not their strong point.

I am a pretty decent salesman, but I am not a door knocker/contingency contract kind of guy but if I get one contract in a subdivision I will end up with 10 more.

I do alot of sub work myself and am always looking for more, like I said, everyone starts somewhere.

What do you mean "I am not a door knocker/contingency contract kind of guy.."? I'm a bit confused about the connection of those two terms. Are you okay with other forms of cold calling but not door knocking? Are you against the use of a contingency clause on a contract?

I sub contracted for more than two decades and I think I was a pretty good sub, if I may say so. Thats why I was somewhat surprised to see so much anti sub rhetoric in the other threads. It's kind of comforting to see that the boys have now decided that subbing is a legit form of contracting LOL.

June 28, 2010 at 7:57 a.m.

Jed

Thanks John. It's not just a dubious statement it's absurd. Like most of us here I have been a sub, am a sub, and use sub's all the time. In fact if it were'nt for subs I'd be wearing a toolbelt again reinstalling the callouses on my hands that I've finally managed to get rid of. I would still like to know what qualifies the statement "they hate subs around here"?

June 28, 2010 at 3:40 a.m.

TARBABY

Everyone needs to start somewhere, from what I have seen, most of the really good subcontractors are fantastic at their jobs and their workers know what they are doing, but sales is not their strong point.

I am a pretty decent salesman, but I am not a door knocker/contingency contract kind of guy but if I get one contract in a subdivision I will end up with 10 more.

I do alot of sub work myself and am always looking for more, like I said, everyone starts somewhere.

June 27, 2010 at 1:53 p.m.

jimAKAblue

Jed Said:
jimAKAblue Said: They hate subcontractors around here. This probably isnt the place to ask.

Where did that come from??....and are YOU not part of the THEY?

No, I'm not against subcontracting from either side of the equation. I have had to defend the use of them in here though. Maybe you can check back a few threads to see the conversations that seem to rail against using subs.

June 27, 2010 at 10:49 a.m.

TomB

Huh?

June 27, 2010 at 8:54 a.m.

Jed

jimAKAblue Said: They hate subcontractors around here. This probably isnt the place to ask.

Where did that come from??....and are YOU not part of the "THEY"?

June 25, 2010 at 9:07 p.m.

TomB

Subcontractors are not hated here....What's hated, are contractors that circumvent paying appropriate labor burdens by misrepresenting employees, as independent subcontractors.

Unless a roofing contractor refrains from doing any new construction at all, we're all subcontractors at times.

June 23, 2010 at 7:40 a.m.

Jed

masteroftheroof Said: We are looking for Labor Subcontractors for Single-Ply and Modified work in Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Anyone interested?

Do you have work now, or are you preparing for the forecasted bad hurricane season?

June 22, 2010 at 10:51 p.m.

TARBABY

I would like to hear more about the modified work in Mississippi, and Louisiana.

lthomeservicesllc@gmail.com

June 22, 2010 at 9:34 p.m.

Roofdaddy

Yes you can contact me at bert.fowler23@yahoo.com.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS Trends 2024 - Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
USG - Sidebar - Wind
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar