User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Stubborn customers

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

OLE Willie

I've been doing work for a lady that manages a condominium complex for about 3 years now. They usually have us re-roof 1 unit per month. If not then they will have us do a repair on one. So thats a lot of jobs in 36 months. Well the last time i was there doing a repair i noticed some rotten wood siding along a wall. ( and some idiot had smeared black mammy all up and down it ) I mentioned it to her and she had a handyman type guy give her a quote to repair it. Evidently this guy has a regular job somewhere and was working on this siding only after 4 p.m. and was also using lights after dark. He told her that he would be replacing the flashing at the wall. She called me to give a quote to replace the roofing on the small area that connects with this siding. ( about 8 sq. total. ) While im doing the estimate i see this guys work. He was installing a piece of sheet metal over the existing wall flashing on the wall of the unit. covering the top 2 inches of the wall flasing and leaving the bottom two inches exposed. And then installing the siding over that leaving both old and new metal showing. Strange way to do it if you ask me. He also replaced a small piece of wall flashing around a corner where the wall turned from vertical to horizontal. But he left a split in the corner because he didnt allow the apron flashing at the horizontal piece to extend passed the corner. Nor did he allow the vertical wall flashing piece to extend a little beyond the corner. Didn't bother to caulk it either. I tried to explain to her that what he did at the corner actually created a leak and what should be done is replace all the wall flashing first and then come back and install the siding. She said no he didn't either. He's a good guy. Blah blah blah choosing to believe this fly by night over me after all the problems we solved for her over the years. And just totally refused to listen to me. It got to the point where i finally told her she could just find another roofer if it was going to be this difficult to communicate. When i sent my guys over to do the work she again gave them a hard time as well. Even called this idiot who Phucked up the flashing work and put him on the phone with my supervisor. The fly by night got upset and started mouthing off at my supervisor. FInally my guy just told him "you do your job and i'll do mine". lol She overhead that and told him he was just like me. lol I dont think this guy could change a set of spark plugs and wires by himself without phucking up the firing order. lol

November 4, 2009 at 10:18 p.m.

fayetteroofing

I don't mind shotty work done by relatives or fly-by-nights cuz it keeps us local folks busy later on. Ole Willie: That guy sounds like he was a real trip. I think I would have reacted the same way.. Why call me out here if you don't have any confidence in what I'm going to say? What a goon. I'm glad you got the job

October 27, 2009 at 7:58 a.m.

OLE Willie

Well she is single so either they are related or have been interrelated before if you know what i mean. Hell this IS Alabama so it could be both!! Lmaooo!!! lol

October 27, 2009 at 7:53 a.m.

wywoody

I would bet that the handyman is related to the manager woman.

October 27, 2009 at 7:29 a.m.

OLE Willie

PS. Oddly enough the very next morning i went to bid a repair for another guy and discovered the leak was directly below a plumbing pipe. When i got on the roof the first thing i noticed was the pipe collar around it was brand new. Only problem was it had been installed on top of all the shinlges except about 2 inches of the very top shinlge. There was also a butt joint right in the center of that shingle letting water right underneath the pipe collar. The homeowner is standing on the ground watching me. I tell him its an improperly installed pipe collar. He says "OH NO ITS NOT EITHER!!! THATS NOT THE PROBLEM!!! lol lol lol I said well ok sir, then i won't be able to help you. Walked down the ladder and started carrying it to the truck preparing to leave. He said whats happening here! lol I'm like well sir if you don't believe what im telling you then i cant help. Then i asked who had installed the pipe collar. He said his son had just did it less than a month ago. I told him that while i respect the fact that his son was willing to take on the job, it did not change the fact that he had installed it improperly. Then he says theres another one under that one. So he had also installed the new pipe collar on top of the existing one. lol He says how much would it cost to have that one and the other 3 he did replaced. lol We made a deal and he gave me the job. HA! HA! lol

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad