User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Stone Roof Repair - (real stone, not that cheap slate stuff)

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

dennis

I recently had a chance to work on one of the old estates in northwestern PA. Birthplace of the modern oil industry. Drove about two hours for a measly 2 shingle roof repair. Lots of fun working on a one of a kind roof. ( One of a kind in the US. There's many of these stone roofs in the old country.)

http://www.slateandcopperroofrestoration.com/Cleveland-Slate-Repair/stone-roof-repair.html

September 29, 2009 at 10:10 a.m.

Jed

No.....I'm thinking like a toilet plunger, the shaft moving up and down and how the rubber plunger looks as it is moving.....it's just a theory mate "I dunno"

September 28, 2009 at 6:35 p.m.

dennis

Jed,

Are you saying that the covering stone worked itself under the lip of the nail and curled it up into that mushroom shape?

September 28, 2009 at 8:41 a.m.

Jed

Looks like the head of the nail was trapped by the weight of the stone, but the shaft was'nt and the signs of wear are due to it's movement against the heads lack of.

September 28, 2009 at 7:47 a.m.

dennis

Copper nail head.

Looks like maybe the copper was wrapped around a lead cap?

[IMG]http://www.roofingcontractorreview.com/gallery/d/763-1/copper_nail_head.jpg[/IMG]

September 27, 2009 at 9:43 p.m.

tinner666

I tried to reply yesterday, but I crashed! Dang it. That's what a real roof looks like, alright. I've thought about shanking my own stone like that, but I need more knowledge than I have, and access to the right stone to boot. Nice job.

What/how much corrosion are you talking about? The whole head rotted off like an EG nail after 7 years? Just 'ruts' in the copper, like lead does? Or just vergis?(sp)

September 27, 2009 at 7:42 p.m.

Old School

A sandstone roof, A slate roof, both are rock and both are beautiful. They will last for centuries with little maintanence needed. I wonder what that roof would look like by now if it was wood shingles or asphalt shingles?

September 27, 2009 at 6:19 p.m.

dennis

Thanks all.

Rafters are 2x6 rough sawn. Steep pitch and short joist span limits sagging? Previous owner opened up the attic/ceiling and made cathedral ceiling exacerbating the ice accumulation on the front dormer. It used to have gutters.

If I put apprentice lauzier on my resume, can I charge more?

5 1/2" SS #12 on top piece,and 4 1/2 " on lower shingle. Drilled and countersunk. Top piece I lifted the crappy apron and installed screws. Originally the nails were covered with mortar. I sealed with silicone so they could be easily removed when proper repair work was done. Lower piece is screwed through the joint and covered with a copper bib.

Odd thing about the original copper nails. They were corroded at the shank/head. Just the top. The "head" of the nail seemed to be a washer. Possibly a lead head or washer that corroded? I dunno.

September 27, 2009 at 11:36 a.m.

Jed

20p copper for the originals though.....I shoulda said "did wonder"....my baad

September 27, 2009 at 10:20 a.m.

egg

He used SS screws.

September 27, 2009 at 8:50 a.m.

Jed

Nice one Dennis. Brings a good arguement to all the "you have to have a waterproof underlayment cos' everyone knows that all slate and tile roofs leak" *roofers* out there. I do wonder about the tensile strength of the copper nails being able to not wilt over time with the weight of the stone though.

September 27, 2009 at 12:38 a.m.

kage

Hate to be standing there when one fell loose.....frick..

September 26, 2009 at 9:10 p.m.

egg

If you keep packing stones like that up a ladder by yourself you're going to live up to that surname. j/k Thanks for sharing that one with us. Still wondering about attachment. Where did you put the screws?

I like the way you handled the statement in the 'about us' section of the website. Actually, everything on it.

September 26, 2009 at 7:19 p.m.

wywoody

In the old country those are lauze roofs. I don't know if putting two on makes you a lauzier yet, but you're ahead of the rest of us.

September 26, 2009 at 7:11 p.m.

Bill6208

I think I would travel the 2 hrs to work on it too, I have a feeling a two shingle repair on that could eat up most of a day though lol. What kind of rafters do they have? All that weight and I didn't notice any sagging so it must be well framed.

My back started hurting just thinking about lugging those up the ladder, especially some of those 3 footers :blink:

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SafetyHQ: Banner Ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar