English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Sticking to the Basics

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

OLE Willie

Hi, gonzo's topic about computer software got me thinking about modern technology. How there are numerous "bells and whistles" out there these days. I don't think there is anything wrong with any of them by any means, however my personal experience has been that the more of these type things i tried to add in along the way, the easier it was to get off track from the main focus which is the basics. Some of them have helped and others were a total waste of time and money. My focus needs to be on the basics as much as possible. As in our industry this is what is really important. If people wanted to buy fancy looking papers or gadgets they would probably go to the mall and look around rather than call a roofing company. What they want to buy is YOU! ( and your reputation ) Their looking for someone they feel they can trust. Who makes it fairly obvious when they speak and act that they have more than ample experience and knowledge to handle the project at hand. Not for a computer guru or a rocket scientist. lol They want to feel confident that this person is honest, will address the concerns they have about the project and honor the work that they perform. Don't get me wrong. You need to look and BE Professional. However, i believe you can try to be too professional in this business. I dont know about you but if i were the average homeowner and i had a roof problem, I would want a "roofer" to show up to handle it for me. I wouldn't be looking for someone in a 3 piece suit, driving a mercedes who can whip up a fancy estimate on his lap top sitting in his car in front of my house using satellite imagry and a computer program. Which by the way i can do exactly that if i choose to. ( woulnd't want a toothless hippie with cutoff jeans and a cigarette hanging out his mouth either ) lol But i can not tell you how many jobs i have gotten simply because i was the only person that even got on the roof. I lost count years ago. What is impressive to a homeowner is someone who will actually listen to their concerns, investigate them, diagnose the causes and come up with the solutions. These type things are all any of us will really ever "need". Most everything else is optional and could add or take away from the basics! JMHO. :)

October 22, 2009 at 9:33 a.m.

Dr.ROOF

Good post Willie.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Construction Solutions - Banner Ad - Where do you like to get your training from manufacturers?
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all