User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Steep Roofs and Age

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

OLE Willie

Hi, At 41 I still get on the steep ones to measure and do many steep slope repairs. Whenever its a minor/quick repair i usually fix it on the spot. However I'm not as fond of it as i once was if you know what i mean. In my 20's and 30's I would just look up at the 3 story monster and think, " Hey theres Five Hundred Dollars Bills up there" I need to get up there and get those ASAP! lol I went to bid a repair yesterday after a long week and a long overtime day on a saturday and the problem turned out to be a leaking 750 square vent 3 stories above a concrete driveway up near the ridge on a 12/12 slope with no way to access it from any valleys etc.... I only had a 24 ft. ladder with me and it would reach on the front side but not on this triangle end over the driveway. Not sure if im getting lazy, old or just wiser but i knew it wasnt safe under those conditions so i just sold the job and plan to send TWO guys out with ropes and harnesses to do the job next week. I guess im at some kind of turning point or something becuase a few years ago i would of just jumped up there and fixed it. Or maybe it just took me 25 years to come to my senses. lol OK thats my confession of the month! lol Anyone else get in these tight spots? The customer was nudging me to fix it right then on the spot because there was rain in the forecast.>>>

August 4, 2009 at 8:53 a.m.

Jed

..........don't do steep anymore.....got comfy seats in my truck :laugh:>>>

August 4, 2009 at 8:35 a.m.

SoCalroofer

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/128957768gzISCP

Maybe this will work. Still waiting for webmaster Steve's how to video.

The steep roof pictures or on webshots.com under socalroofer if that don't work. >>>

August 4, 2009 at 5:21 a.m.

tinner666

At 56, or so, the 14/12 I was on last week made me wonder about my sanity.>>>

August 3, 2009 at 10:58 p.m.

clublaugh

We did a 12/12 metal roof a couple weeks ago, actually a nice job, one story, 3/12 porches below 3 sides. Homeowner says one roofer they called out for an estimate wouldn't even get on the roof :laugh: oh well more for me :P>>>

August 3, 2009 at 8:51 p.m.

OLE Willie

Ironically, my very next call after making this post was exactly the same thing as far as the location of the problem and type of roof. Im ready to give these really high steep ones up. This one was 3 stories over a concrete driveway also. lol 12/12 slope. It freaked me out. Like twins 20 miles apart. My guys are busy on a big job that will take a week and this customer did not want to wait as we have rain in the forcast everyday for eternity. From now on i'm carrying a 24 foot ladder and thats it. If that dont reach then i dont want it. lol When he said he couldnt wait a week i just told him sorry i couldnt help you. :unsure:>>>

August 3, 2009 at 8:37 p.m.

craftesman

i just finished a steep one last week. front was a 12/12 with 2 small dormers and the front entrance way was a 14 or 16-12. harbor blue durations. looks great. now in the process of sidding and gutters. d5 dutch lap and blue shutters. when i was done with the front i had 22 roof jacks on it.>>>

August 3, 2009 at 6:35 p.m.

mnr5970

I guess none of HEAL!!!! as fast as we used to >>>

August 3, 2009 at 6:30 p.m.

CIAK

Steve we need that video lesson soon ;) ;)>>>

August 3, 2009 at 6:20 p.m.

SoCalroofer

[URL=http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1128967416054207268ZpTmDK][IMG]http://thumb8.webshots.net/s/thumb1/6/74/16/128967416ZpTmDK_th.jpg[/IMG][/URL] I agree with steep is easier on the back but at 52 I don't think I'll do another one.

Did this one about 15yrs ago>>>

August 3, 2009 at 3:23 p.m.

tico

I think mono is monkey.chango by my colombian friend was gorilla. like little gorilla was what they were implying.>>>

August 3, 2009 at 3:08 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

Steep roofs are better on the back for me as well, I can still best the young pups in production (as they spend most of thier time piss-in and moan-in all day long about how steep it is). Just turned 40 and tipping the scales at 299, and can still move pretty good on the steep stuff. The mexicanos I used to work with called me "gordito chiango". in english...I thank that means "fat monkey"!!!>>>

August 2, 2009 at 9:04 p.m.

CIAK

This roof is cut up steep and has plenty of age . This was the first roof job I did way back in the early early 70's in Florida . The staff including the maids and elevator operators would look out the window and try to coach me in because they were afraid for me. It got so I could run around on this thing as if I were walking on flats. Once I got my sea legs it was nothing but forever . Just had a huge sell off of a lot of the contents . http://www.preservationnation.org/travel-and-sites/sites/southern-region/belleview-biltmore-hotel.html>>>

August 2, 2009 at 7:45 p.m.

jfreynik

http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/show_album_photo.asp?userid=69&albumid=320&file=3409&s=54 I did this one at 49. All off chicken ladders and cleats.>>>

August 2, 2009 at 6:38 p.m.

kage

wywoody Said: But it probably doesnt take him 20 steps to walk fully upright in the morning.

I know what ya mean some mornings.. :lol:>>>

August 2, 2009 at 6:32 p.m.

wywoody

OS, I've got two 2x8s spanning between those 2 valleys to the left of the front door with a 2' wide plywood tacked onto them. It gives me a flat island to store things and do repetitive cuts.

Most of the time working on this steep is easier on the back, it's almost up in your face. But cutting the tile 2 1/2 inches from the center dictated where the saw had to be and the position of operating the saw. It was having the muscles in the back locked in place while cutting that did the damage. But it's not just age, the kid in his 20's that works for me felt it too. But it probably doesn't take him 20 steps to walk fully upright in the morning.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Construction Solutions - Banner Ad - Where do you like to get your training from manufacturers?
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Maven Group SIdebar Ad
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices