User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Standing Seam Material.....

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RandyB1986

Any of you ever install the standing seam from Menards? I have a customer who wants a standing seam roof on a gambrel barn house. He wants to use Menards brand but I am concerned about getting all the trim parts that are needed.

Any of you put standing seam on a gambrel roof......what do you use for transition where 24/12 and 4/12 come together?

I hate metal but could use the work.....

Thanks!

March 15, 2010 at 11:20 p.m.

WildBill

Randy,

There are some basic metal roof details at Englert's site but I didn't see a gambrel eave detail...It's just basically a combination of an "eave" detail and a "high side roof to wall" detail.

click on the "construction details" on the following site:

http://www.englertinc.com/roofing-panels.aspx?Page=5

Basic exposed screw down panels in 26 ga with polyester paint sell for around $70 a square around here in Alabama, which competes with shingles....These have a "galvalume" substrates which has a 25 yr warranty..... G60 and G90 substraits usually don't have warranties. The siliconized polyester paint has a longer warranty but you had better read the warranty...the fading part is usually not more than a 20 year warranty and it only offers replacement of the materials. It does not cover the labor cost, but I don't know of any manufacturer offering that for homeowner stuff. It is offered for commercial work.

G60 and G90 refers to how many ounces of zinc it has per 10 sq ft...I think G60 has 60 ounces per 10 sq ft., and G90 has 90 ounces per 10 sq ft.... so G90 is a better product....usually G60 is a secondary product, but you can't tell the difference when it is new, but it usually has cheap paint and the edges will rust very quickly.

The commercial standing seam projects that I do have material cost usually in the $2.50 to $3.50 range per sq ft. That is for 16" wide, 24 ga galvalume with kynar 500 paint. So your 30 sq job should cost you about $7,500 to 10,500 for that kind of roof.

March 14, 2010 at 8:48 a.m.

RandyB1986

Yeah.....Menards material is G-100, don't know if that is better than G-60 or cheaper. They do offer lifetime warranty on it, but that dont mean anything to me.

I keep hearing that metal can compete with shingles in price......I just don't see it. This job is 30 square total. Menards 28 Ga snap lock system is around $7000....materials only. My supplier bid the same system for me in 24 Ga and it was around $17,000 materials only...........that would be some pretty expensive shingles.

I am trying to get this customer to go with a Lifetime shingle instead....not having much luck though.

Wild Bill......I will be getting a hold of you for some advice on trim details on gambrel roof in standing seam.

Thanks Guys!

March 13, 2010 at 7:09 p.m.

WildBill

Randy,

Once you educate the homeowner about the cost of a really good standing seam roof they usually change their mind because they can't afford it.

I don't know anything about the roof from "Menards", but it sounds like a cheap one to me. Beware of the polyester paints, G60 galvanized substrates, and make sure your supplier is selling you a tested system that meets the building code.

What happens if the paint fails on this roof 5 years down the road? What does the warranty say it will do in case of failures?

If you need help with the flashing details, let me know.

bill@johnskirksey.com

March 13, 2010 at 3:34 p.m.

andy

Robert,

I agree. However, I'm reasonably sure someone gamed the program and "adjusted" the material prices to get where they needed to be. It'll be ok 'till some questions get asked . . .

March 13, 2010 at 8:55 a.m.

robert

The tax credit is on material only,and only a percentage of it.

March 12, 2010 at 9:01 p.m.

andy

Randy,

I lost a 30yr comp shingle t/o and install to a Menards steel roof last year. The homeowner said I was beat by $300 plus the promise of the $1500 tax credit. Spoke with the H/O after the job was completed, and he was pretty happy with the finished product. Should be interesting to see how it all stands up over time.

I was very surprised at the pricing. I double checked my numbers and they were dead on, so I'm still scratching my head on that one.

March 7, 2010 at 7:19 p.m.

RandyB1986

Yeah Twill....I know what you mean, and honestly....half the "roofers" I know think that old cheap pro rib is standing seam. I think these manufactures screwed up when they made everything so the DIY homeowner could install it.

This particular customer said he wanted the "standing seam from Menards like they use on banks"......I just started laughing, the average consumer has no idea the difference between a true manual made and seamed standing seam roof in 22 ga. and a 28ga. pro rib from Lowes!! Makes me so mad.....and then you know how the contractor is "always trying to rip off the consumer" it makes it kind of hard to explain to the average Joe the difference.

That's part of the reason I have to learn to install this stuff....everyone sees it at Menards and Lowes and then that is what they want, if I dont learn it then someoen else will offer it to them.

What's a man to do......

Enough rambling from me. I'll have plenty more questions I am sure. Thanks guys!

Twill....what is your email?

March 7, 2010 at 5:27 p.m.

tinner666

I clip the tops, box fold the ends. TO attach an apron, I use 8" cleats at the point I want the apron to terminate. The cleats are folded into each fold of the finished seam, then the excess is folded back across the finished seam, then I cut off all but the last 1/2" to 3/4". After installin the apron, I pop-rivet it to those cleats. DOesn't take any extra time, nor do I get any panel penetrations.

March 7, 2010 at 1:31 p.m.

RandyB1986

OS.....Our longest panel on the entire job will be 12 foot. I am in central Indiana.

March 7, 2010 at 11:45 a.m.

Old School

Randy, how long are the panels? If they are really long, you may want to have them made on site. If you go to the web sites of the different panel manufactures, you can see their different details for that kind of stuff. Where are you located? You may try oldworlddistributors.com for some ideas. They are good people!

March 7, 2010 at 10:32 a.m.

RandyB1986

Twill....Well, I think Snap Loc is what we are referring to as standing seam.....can a standing seam not be a Snap Loc like this?

http://www.archmetalroof.com/instaloc.html

BTW.........I am suggesting the customer use a brand from Bradco or Reese, I just hate Menards materials.

March 7, 2010 at 6:32 a.m.

copperman

I have no pictures. I don't do machine made standing seam roofs . I do old school tinsmithing. But as I understand it they make a transition flashing from one pitch to the other. It has to be custom made to the pitch you are dealing with. I also have seen were the seam is cut at the transition and a patch is attached over the cut. I don't like that, it seam to me to be a fail point.http://www.magicmetalsinc.com/ezsnapguide.pdf

March 6, 2010 at 4:26 p.m.

RandyB1986

OS, They want to use the Lifetime Standing seam....with hidden fastners....16" panels. The house is shingled at this time but is going to be torn off and re-decked. Thank You.

Any info you have to offer would be greatly appreciated! I have done maybe 2 or 3 standing seam roofs.....but I get so many people wanting metal that I think I am going to have to learn it.

Thanks again!

Randy

March 6, 2010 at 3:46 p.m.

Old School

It is going to be very thin and will have a tendancy to oil can badly. Is it standing seam or the pole barn metal that you screw down?

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Elevate - Banner Ad - The Future is Calling (2024)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July