User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Stairstep or Straightcut

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

tarstrip

When re-flashing a chimney which method do you feel is the all around best way?

August 26, 2015 at 9:21 p.m.

tinner666

Stair only. No need to ruin the brick.

August 25, 2015 at 6:43 a.m.

RoofDude

Old School Said: Twill, I have done them that way, but I would put a hem on the bottom of the flashing, and then kick it out at a 45 degree angle. I would also keep the bottom about a half inch above the shingles, and make sure that the step flashings are slightly exposed. (dont run your shingles tight against the wall. It lets the water run freely right off the roof.

On the other hand, whatever works!

I always run my shingles tight against flashing/walls. To be honest, I don't use counter flashing either. Strictly continuous. Then again, every place I install flashing the shingles are cemented to the flashing. I spent a lot of time in snowy/icy conditions, & have seen ice migrate under step flashing installed in the manner you describe. Have never had ice work under shingles/flashing the way I do it.

August 24, 2015 at 8:26 p.m.

Old School

Twill, I have done them that way, but I would put a hem on the bottom of the flashing, and then kick it out at a 45 degree angle. I would also keep the bottom about a half inch above the shingles, and make sure that the step flashings are slightly exposed. (don't run your shingles tight against the wall. It lets the water run freely right off the roof.

On the other hand, whatever works!

August 22, 2015 at 11:00 a.m.

wywoody

The point I was trying to make in my previous post was that the stairstep disperses water evenly, where the straightcut has a tendency to concentrate it at the bottom. I have never seen it cause a leak, but have seen it cause efflorescence in the brick where it terminates.

August 22, 2015 at 8:39 a.m.

RoofDude

twill59 Said: We almost always straight cut.

The stairstep is traditional. Dudes did not have diamond blades on their grinders 300 yrs. ago.

Same here. I remember years ago making cuts with a skill saw (diamond blade). Wow. things changed dramatically when I got a grinder :) Pretty easy to do. I've done some steps but, I like the way a continuous piece looks.

Here's one I did recently. This one was a no brainer as the previous roofer had already cut into the brick.

August 21, 2015 at 4:03 p.m.

andy

Not a fan of cutting into the brick, so we stick with the classic stair step. When done correctly, I can't imagine that either method would cause an issue.

August 21, 2015 at 8:23 a.m.

wywoody

If it's a chimney in the field of the roof or the brick ends where the roof ends, use a straightcut. If it's a large exposed wall that extends beyond the roof, use a stairstep.

August 20, 2015 at 8:01 p.m.

Old School

Just pulling your chain! I do both methods. Normally I will use a termination flashing instead of cutting into the chimney though. Even on the stepped applications it works well. Just make sure and do a two piece system instead of trying to make the step flashings and the counter - flashing one.

August 20, 2015 at 5:42 p.m.

CIAK

Yup B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

August 19, 2015 at 8:20 p.m.

Old School

You bet, that is how I always do it and it works.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS Roof Hub - Banner Ad - Spring 2024
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio