Français

User Access

IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
McCormack Succession and Exit Planning - Sidebar Register
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

solar panels good or bad???

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

glassemulsion

Are solar panels worth the cost? Iam seeing many of bldgs with them now.

April 21, 2024 at 10:05 a.m.

mroofer

I got My answer from the experts: Golden Tree Roofing

April 27, 2011 at 2:46 p.m.

glassemulsion

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

April 27, 2011 at 11:17 a.m.

Robby the Roofer

The smallest roof I installed solar panels on was on a 20sq roof (9 panels). Rough calculations says they would pay off the price of the contract in about 20 years. The house would use more energy than what the panels generate in the winter then flip in the summer. Overall...they would generate a plus every year (but not whole lot)

So even though they are in the plus....it would take about 20 yrs to pay for the panels.

So...The smaller the house (with a 9 panel system) would pay it self off quicker.

Bigger house...needs more panels...more cost....and longer to pay off

Right now....It takes more energy to manufacture a panel than the panel can generate, that is why they are so expensive. Once they have perfected the manufacturing process (less energy to make)..then the price will go down.

April 27, 2011 at 9:06 a.m.

Patty Cakes

One of my neighbors that I don't know, their yard all turned up,me being nosy stopped and asked the worker "what are you doing, hooking up to sewer" nope they were going geothermal. Ran into the limestone, which is quite prominent in this area. $$$$$$$$ chaching chaching, that is why I haven't hooked to the sewer, my next door neighbor hooked up and broke 2 diamond drills, took a week , don't know what it cost him, he doesn't want to say.

OS not quite the same. Skylights are great, I just love the natural enery, it is there why not use it. JMO PC

April 27, 2011 at 7:20 a.m.

Old School

WE have all been using solar panels for years. We just call them skylights! A skylight uses the "solar panel" to light a house. If you want to use the sun to heat water or to create electricity, the flashing is the same, but the cost is a lot different. So are the payback times.

It costs about 4 times as much to buy a PV (Photo-voltaic) panel as it does a solar heat collector. How much depends on where you are at, but the costs are in the thousands. The amount of energy generated is relatively small for the amount of money spent. I believe you can spend about $15,000.00 to get a PV system that will generate 1,200 watts. That is about enough to run a small hair dryer. You do the math.

I believe you would be much better off installing skylights for light and paying the electric bills.

April 26, 2011 at 10:59 p.m.

glassemulsion

Does anyone know what there ball park cost is installed? How many panels does it take to be cost effective on say 200 square roof?

April 26, 2011 at 10:28 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

There are many new solar products on the market. It is preferable that they are at a high point (roof top). Why? Sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Trees can cast a shadow on panels. There are sections on the panels that get a slight shade and the whole section won't generate power. If there are placed on the ground...they will be affected greatly.

On flat roofs...you do not have to penetrate...There is a ballast method with slip sheets. Basically a frame with cinder clocks place within the frame to hold it down.

April 26, 2011 at 8:25 p.m.

Patty Cakes

I beleive in Solar, do they have to be on the roof? Good point Elcid.

Why can't the solar panels be on ground like wind mills? Too much work or cost? Don't know just asking, just a thought. PC

April 26, 2011 at 6:48 p.m.

Old School

Yes they are! Good and bad!

April 26, 2011 at 5:40 p.m.

elcid

Most solar installations are found atop the roof. I wonder what provisions are being made to maintain and service the roof. Also, these devices require numerous roof penetrstions for the structual steel supports, and just to rely on pitch pockets presents another problem for the roofer. And ultimate replacement years hence is an important factor that should be considered in the economics equation.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

NRCA - National Roofing Week 2024 - Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

USG - Sidebar - Fire
ICP - Sidebar Ad - APOC Professional Protection
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
MetalForming - Lunch & Learn
EVERROOF - Sidebar - Podcast Training - Dec 2023
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif