Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

So I hired a Mexican

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

clvr83

My laborer was sick too often, so as soon as I started asking around, this guy randomly calls. 26 years old, couple years experience. Sure why not. Let's see it Jose.

So today is his first day and we are doing a vertical seam roof. I'm showing him how to snip the panels and I say "I think you might be the first Mexican we've every had working here." He replies "I was just about to tell you that I've never worked with American's before." :laugh:

He was actually born right here locally for the record.

Young feller, good attitude, seems to learn fast. I've hired two other guys in the past year that have really changed my attitude about the labor pool. This guy may be the third. If I keep this up and I just might have to try to run two crews again.

December 6, 2022 at 6:47 a.m.

johnchris

It sounds like you got lucky with your new hire! It’s always great to find someone who is willing to learn and has a good attitude. It’s even better that he was born locally and has some experience already. It definitely sounds like he is going to be a valuable asset to your team. With this kind of luck, you may be able to start running two crews again. Good luck and enjoy the journey! (https://vanityroofing.ca)

March 3, 2016 at 5:48 a.m.

clvr83

Same here. I refuse to sub out roofs.

About a year ago I was still a little salty after dealing with some employee issue. As MikeH put it, I was planning on being an owner with a tool pouch to ensure quality. I've made a few good hires and really tried to focus on training and making a better work environment. Now I'm trying to be a better businessman/salesman. It's going great.

Managing two crews of 8 would be my limit, and that might drive me nuts. I only have so much trust. To have 10 crews, I would have to seriously trust several other managers, plus it would be hard not to go down the line investigating techniques constantly.

The lure of getting the job done quicker at all costs is too great for most people when money is involved.

March 2, 2016 at 9:06 p.m.

Old School

That would not fly with me.

March 2, 2016 at 8:07 p.m.

Chuck2

Quality Control? They sell the job, send the Mexicans to do the job and send a bill in the mail. Only way to get an inspection is demand one before paying the bill. Even then it's like asking the police department to investigate themselves. lol

March 2, 2016 at 5:19 p.m.

Old School

Kind of hard to have any quality control like taht. I honestly don't know how some of these companies have 20 or 30 crews. It would be 20 or 30 migraine headaches for me.

February 27, 2016 at 4:12 p.m.

Chuck2

The vast majority of all roofing companies around here hire only Mexicans for the actual roofing work. One legal immigrant to "sub" the jobs to with the illegal ones working under him. But that's all good because I'm too old to work on tear offs all day every day anymore anyhow and these "Subs" create a host of repair work for an old coot like me. :)

February 27, 2016 at 8:16 a.m.

Lefty1

I have had a couple of women who were not interested in looking for work once they found a job. Just like a lot of the men.

I have had 2 that did not just keep up. They raised the bar and made the guys work harder. Give me a women any day, they do not complain.

February 27, 2016 at 7:13 a.m.

clvr83

Twill: Yes, but he admitted to being "Mexican." He was born at the same hospital as I was. I'm not the politically correct type, but I'm not racist. Last year I did have a guy with immediate Portugese descent, but he was a bit different. I haven't had many Hispanics ask to work, and when they did they could barely speak English.

Lefty: We've had a couple of women roofers as well. One of them could keep up very well in the labor department. Needed a bundle to go 3 stories? No problem. We also had a petite blonde driving our boom truck. That ended up causing a small problem when we hired a guy who turned out to be a real bug.

February 26, 2016 at 11:11 p.m.

Lefty1

We have 2 guys of Spanish decent working right now. As long as there is not thick accent does not matter the nationality.

Would love to have a women crew. Had 2 women working awhile back. They were great workers.

Sue loved to tear-off. Had her run a tear-off crew. Both crews would go to a house and as soon as one section was tore off that would get prepped and the shinglers would start shingling. Sue would finish ripping off the rest of the house. Sue would leave and start the next house. The shinglers would finish prepping and shingling. Then the next day catch up with Sue on the next house.

February 26, 2016 at 10:00 p.m.

TomB

;)

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Adams & Reese - Banner Ad - The Ins and Outs of H-1B Visas (Podcast)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad