User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Small Town Inspectors

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

OLE Willie

I was down at the little permit office of this small town about 25 miles from my office today getting a permit for a 200 sq. job we were fortunate enough to have come our way. This little town actually has the police riding around checking people doing ANY kind of work for permits. I made a special 50 mile round trip just to get this permit. I knew way better than to start any job in that town without getting one first. When i walk in this little short man was over behind the counter talking to the lady i usually get the permits from. He started eyeing me doing a staredown. lol Then he started coming up with all kinds of questions about my job that they never asked me before. Then the guy goes and says i can not get the permit today they will have to look everything over blah blah blah. The lady told him yes he can get one too if its "just for a roof"! lol He kept drilling me for a bit more then finally walked out. Its my opinion that an inspector should look for things that are right and not just for things that are wrong. Seek and ye shall find. This guy was already trying to "MAKE" something be wrong and i haven't even started the job yet. I was only doing the right thing and getting the permit a few days in advance. Had another lady call me yesterday saying an inspector told her there was a "split" in her upper gutter. So i go look at it and it was only where the gutter folks cut a hole for water to run out. lol Whats wrong with these folks? Is their job so boring they have to do this kind of stuff just to have something to do?>>>

July 31, 2009 at 6:45 p.m.

OLE Willie

Uh, After reading it the first time i was thinking you might be right. I didn't give him any reason to act that way. Actually we began our business about 3 miles from this job and thus have a good referral base in that area still to this day. But he probably doesnt know that or care! He asked me when we were going to start, leaving me to think he might come by the job and give us a hard time. I dunno. But they never asked me that before. At the time it had been raining off and on every day for a week and the next 10 days were 40-60% every day so i just said with this kind of weather i really have no idea. He just gave me a "humph", then walked out and drove off. lol>>>

July 31, 2009 at 1:51 p.m.

jfreynik

Sorry I got a stuttering problem>>>

July 31, 2009 at 1:50 p.m.

jfreynik

More then likely he does not like some out of towner coming in and taking work away from the local contractors who are probably his cousins or other relative.>>>

jfreynik

More then likely he does not like some out of towner coming in and taking work away from the local contractors who are probably his cousins or other relative.>>>

jfreynik

July 31, 2009 at 1:49 p.m.

jfreynik

July 31, 2009 at 12:18 p.m.

OLE Willie

If you have a permit posted not only do they not get on the roof. They dont even get out of the truck. Or in this case the police car. lol>>>

July 31, 2009 at 10:15 a.m.

kage

little man syndrome. :lol:>>>

July 31, 2009 at 7:54 a.m.

Jed

They never got on one of mine either ciak. From Port Charlotte to Zephyr hills, no inspector wants to put up a ladder and go poking around on a monolith that gives nothing up. It ain't trust, it's lazyness.>>>

July 31, 2009 at 7:47 a.m.

CIAK

The budget around here has caused a reduction in staff along with a reduction in permits . The inspectors have for the most part done drive by inspections for me.I can't remember the last time they were on one of my roofs . They have become familiar and friends for years . In my very best Roger Miller King of the Road " I know every engineer on every train All of their children, and all of their names " Trust is rare and is earned everyday , every job .>>>

July 30, 2009 at 8:34 p.m.

Old School

Short man's desease>>>

July 30, 2009 at 5:58 a.m.

pgriz

Job security for the inspector? :dry:>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024