User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
USG - Sidebar - Wind
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

slate restoration

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

max

this house was built in 1924 they hire another roofer to repair the slate roof they did such a bad job I got hired to restore the whole thing

May 17, 2015 at 10:08 p.m.

max

good try Woody this is my favorite slate hammer all timeonly cost $12 and not made for Roofing guess that's why they only cost $12last time I bought a real slide hammer I spent over a hundred bucks this works just as well with a bigger head and the pic allows meto poke a hole wherever I want

May 17, 2015 at 9:09 p.m.

wywoody

I noticed the hammer, Max. It reminds me of the one my Grandfather had for shoeing horses.

May 17, 2015 at 6:50 p.m.

Old School

Re-punch them and nail it solid. The nails can't be driven tight, they have to be flush so they don't hold the slates up and don't strain them. they cannot be driven into crack though.

May 17, 2015 at 4:49 p.m.

natty

bdub Said: Im a huge fan of the solid wood deck and step flashed valleys
What do you guys do when the nail line coincides with the gap in the planks? Do you mark the gaps and redrill the nail hole, or do you hit the void and go and blow? I always see that as a problem that is rarely addressed.

May 17, 2015 at 2:35 p.m.

max

anybody notice my fancy slate hammer

May 17, 2015 at 2:21 p.m.

max

bdub Said: Im a huge fan of the solid wood deck and step flashed valleys
that is 90 year old heart pine

May 17, 2015 at 2:18 p.m.

max

wywoody Said: I pressure wash tile routinely. I dont usually need to pretreat, but I have a larger washer and use a turbo tip. When I do pretreat, I mix up a mixture of bleach, TSP, and some sort of soap as a surfactant. Your clean slates look so nice in comparison to the others, that I wouldnt be surprised if your homeowner wanted you to clean it all.

I wonder about the gap between the first and second full slates on the gable end. Would it have been better to have pulled over three or four them and uniformly spaced the gap over more pieces?

that is the work of the other roofer awful work I have taken it off, cleaned, reinstalled

May 17, 2015 at 1:53 p.m.

wywoody

I pressure wash tile routinely. I don't usually need to pretreat, but I have a larger washer and use a turbo tip. When I do pretreat, I mix up a mixture of bleach, TSP, and some sort of soap as a surfactant. Your clean slates look so nice in comparison to the others, that I wouldn't be surprised if your homeowner wanted you to clean it all.

I wonder about the gap between the first and second full slates on the gable end. Would it have been better to have pulled over three or four them and uniformly spaced the gap over more pieces?

May 17, 2015 at 1:26 p.m.

bdub

Im a huge fan of the solid wood deck and step flashed valleys

May 17, 2015 at 1:23 p.m.

max

that's 90 years of mildew tree sap and pollution on the slateI have found only one product that will do the jobthey must be pretreated and then pressure wash anybody else ever done that surely there must be I've done it many times

May 17, 2015 at 12:56 p.m.

clvr83

Wow thats quite a gig. Things like that seem like it would be hard to put a turnkey price on rather than T&M, but I guess after you've done it a bunch it's no sweat.

May 17, 2015 at 12:20 p.m.

max

been on it for 2 weeks now one more day to finish the front I have done 80% of the install myself

May 17, 2015 at 12:17 p.m.

max

Old School Said: Max, I am not sure how you posted this, but it is very difficult to see the pictures as they are so spread out. we would have set a scaffold along the bottom for a place to stack the slates.. It looks like a challenge!
I posted em straight from my phone I can see them just fine not a challenge really piece of cake must take to the driveway to properly clean not a problem when you're getting paid for it

May 17, 2015 at 11:09 a.m.

Old School

Max, I am not sure how you posted this, but it is very difficult to see the pictures as they are so spread out. we would have set a scaffold along the bottom for a place to stack the slates.. It looks like a challenge!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sherwin-Williams - Banner Ad - Roofing Passport
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June