User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Single Ply Roof in Dallas miraculously turns to metal before hitting the ground

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author
December 22, 2015 at 11:42 p.m.

Mike H

Yeah, that's been the assertion of this post from the beginning. I can see where that would not necessarily be obvious. Back in November, this was actually posted as a "tongue-in-cheek" to a sister post, but without the two being side by side any longer, the humor is long lost.

December 19, 2015 at 12:14 p.m.

andyrosco

My assertion that the standing seam had been reroofed with TPO is inaccurate. The building is located at Mercantile Center Dr. in Fort Worth, and one can easily find pre-storm views.

A current thought is that we are actually seeing the metal roof and purlins blow off in huge segments, and there is likely no single ply involved.

December 19, 2015 at 1:15 a.m.

Mike H

I don't know what the white "filler"looking stuff is, but it's on the underside of the metal. You can see it on the ground later in the video. Besides, we fill and cover metal roofs all the time, but why would anyone do it on an equipment shield after spending all that money on a standing seam? To me it appears like some kind of a baffle. Perhaps a sound deadening material to reduce resonance transferring into the building? As egg says "waddoino" but I don't see any sign of a single ply roof, before or after it hits the ground.

December 18, 2015 at 11:25 p.m.

andyrosco

Pretty common in Texas to apply flute fillers over metal roof system, then recovery board and TPO. Looking at frame 42 of the video, most of the mansard framing is still intact, but the purlins and metal roof... all over everywhere. A portion of the flute fillers are still visible above A/C unit in upper center of frame 44.

The pic uploaded here is a basic R-panel recover with flute fillers being applied. http://forum.rooferscoffeeshop.com/users/andyrosco/2015-08-26 13.06.56.jpg

November 9, 2015 at 6:33 p.m.

Mike H

No,, its a metal roof shown blowing off. You can see the ribs.

The only possible other kind of roof it could look like with all that pattern is a modified, but from that distance even those seams would be about impossible to see.

A single ply, if it was possible for it to catch the wind like a sail, would not show visible seams at that distance.

November 7, 2015 at 12:43 a.m.

Mike H

I'd agree with a lot of them.

Here's one for ya to show otherwise though.

This year, I replaced my first "failed" fibertite roof in 34 years of putting it on. It was the standard 36 mil material installed 20 years ago. When it was around 10 year old it got hit with baseball sized hail. Darryl's son was up here working the storm. Every car in the lot had it's windshield busted out.

We reflashed all the drains, as the hail penetrated the non-reinforced material used to form into the drain sumps. Last year they started getting a couple leaks. Of course there are spider webs all over the roof, but only a very few had penetrated past the reinforcement. They replaced the office roof, but left the 400 squares over a portion of the mfr'g facility in place. Said they could live with the occassional leak when it showed up.

Have 600 squares across the street that didn't have internal drains and hasn't been touched since the storm.

All single plies are not created equal.... even single plies of metal ;)

November 6, 2015 at 8:07 p.m.

Mike H

That's alright Tim, we don't 'spect much out of dem foamers. Lol

November 6, 2015 at 5:56 p.m.

RoofDude

HAHAHAHAHA :laugh:

November 6, 2015 at 4:31 p.m.

Mike H

I don't think it was CBS that made the mistake

November 6, 2015 at 7:53 a.m.

wywoody

CBS, eh. The accuracy legacy of Dan Rather lives on.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Commercial Distribution Specilaists
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2