English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Silly Me

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

tinner666

Wife was fussing about the tube lights needing their lens recleaned, and as I looked up and really observed the ceiling, I thought about the water stains. You can see where I used Kilz to paint over stains from back in the 90's when the chimney leaked, then when I got caught in that huge storm when I torn the old roof off and it rained for several weeks. Boy, was that a learning curve because I didn't realize just how much the newer improved felts absorbed water. Stuff wrinkled so much, it puckered and popped 1/2" hole everywhere it was nailed, First time in my life I had to felt a house in a rain and had to leave it for some time. (This after hearing it was going to be clear and sunny for a week. huge storm rolled in as I tore it off and it rained for about 2 weeks.) :( :ohmy:

Then, there are 4 huge brown stains from 2 years ago from where the 30 year old 3-tab section of roof finally started leaking and I finally got around to doing the shed section 2 years or so ago. :(

:laugh: As I looked at that mess, I could only cringe wondering what Mike and Lefty thought about that!! :laugh: I should be shot for leaving that ceiling like that knowing who was coming to visit! :P :blush: Embarrassing to be honest! :blush:

December 15, 2015 at 6:32 p.m.

tinner666

Just don't forget to swing by here again! :) Breathing a bit easier now that the move is over. Lots of concerns there. :)

December 15, 2015 at 3:46 p.m.

CIAK

Truth be known. I believe we all suffer with the malady many of us will recognize: "roof anxiety" :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

December 15, 2015 at 9:01 a.m.

wywoody

My shop has 7 skylights. Since it is over 30 years old, some have failed. But for some reason, I can't bring myself to throw away old skylights that I have swapped for customers, I have about 30 of them.

Probably a third of them leaked, a third of them are milky or cloudy between the glass and a third were perfectly fine but removed for other reasons. Unfortunately for me, I never separated them into different piles as I let them stack up.

About a month ago, I noticed one of them leaking. It was a small leak, originating from the top of the curb, so I knew it was the skylight. Before writing this post, I swapped the skylight, embarrassed at how easy it was and how I had let it go. Within a day or two, I will know whether the new one is a leaker or not. If it does, I hope it doesn't take me another month to swap it again, but you never know.

December 14, 2015 at 6:10 p.m.

Lefty1

Tinner, the stains will not be what I remember. The company and stories is what I remember.

I was called to roof a house once. The house was 5 years old and they were living in the house. I put on the first roof. Up till then they had put down 30 lb felt put firring strips on the rakes and seams. I took off the firring and shingled over the 30 lb.

December 14, 2015 at 6:02 p.m.

Lefty1

These are great stories. They will bring a smile to my face for awhile.

Never use an ice cream pail to fix a leak on either side of the roof.

Seen-it-all my best thoughts come when I have no pencil and paper to write it down.

I am chuckling so much. I can not remember my own stories. When I do I will post my moments.

December 14, 2015 at 10:47 a.m.

seen-it-all

I have a few stains on my ceiling also. When the house was built the plumbers never glued the joints on the elbows on the vent pipes allowing them to leak during periods of heavy rain with the amount falling directly down the pipe. I had an ice cream pail wedged under one over the kitchen ceiling that worked great until it overflowed a few years ago. Had to repair that by putting an aluminum turkey roaster pan under the ice cream pail to catch any overflow. I should check that today as we have had over 18" of rain in the past month.

Have another stain in the dining room because I had re- roofed the house and delayed putting on the ridgecapping for 7 years and the UV rays ate through the peak on the overlap.

You usually are reminded of these things when they leak and it is to wet to do anything about them or when you wake up in the middle of the night with these random "things that go bump in the night" thoughts saying "you need to fix that"

December 14, 2015 at 10:45 a.m.

Mike H

My neck hurt. I never looked up :)

December 14, 2015 at 7:06 a.m.

clvr83

I'm glad I'm not the only one ignoring their roof! That's pretty good though!

We bought this mobile home w/ an addition on it in '09. The bathroom vent pipe broke off even with the top of the trailer some how(it's a almost flat metal type.) I remembered it about 30 minutes before a huge storm. I caulked around it and set a plastic ice cream pail over it with a brick on it. It's still like that two years later... OK I had to replace the pail once, but there is no shortage of old ice cream containers around.

Yes it's a vented bucket. :laugh:

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Adams & Reese - Banner Ad - Christopher Kane - Storm Ready: Insights on Hurricane Preparedness
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar