User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Shut down costs related to insurance claims

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Sixsigmacontracting

I have a commercial project involving six trades on a hail damage claim. I am a general contractor in Montana and I am not sure if the shut down expense of the three businesses affected should be added to the scope of my bid? Or is the shut down costs something the insurance company handles directly with the insured?

The reason I am involved is because we have two equipment bays on the roof that have to be off loaded so we can replace the TPO. The duration of that aspect of the job will directly affect how long those three businesses will be out of operation.

Dear Mr Roofer/ arrogant dumb ass. If that was my goal I would not pose the question. The fact is my initial adjuster told me to include shut down costs into my scope. I was ambivalent about the veracity of this issue. I have never had this issue before and a friend suggested this forum. No need to show the world what a jerk you are....just add value to the conversation, but evidently your ego is to fragile for that.

As my father once told me, "better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt", but now at least we know what you are :)

August 19, 2016 at 12:02 a.m.

Mike H

A roofer should have a little tougher skin than evidenced by the edited OP, but I'll at least answer the question in an effort to be somewhat helpful to a forum newbie....

I've had a lot of contracts that had shut-down clauses due to our own foo-pah's, but to include such expenses in your own bid.... I think you're getting into a scary bit of liability of your own here. Sounds like an opportunity for the owner's underwriter to come after you own policy should you shut them down longer than anticipated.

This is an issue that should be solely between the property owner and their underwriter, despite my hesitant deference to our own dearly beloved CIAK from that land where the sun shines damn near every day, who has a tad bit of experience from the adjuster's POV.

My advice, refuse to carry this liability in your proposal.

August 18, 2016 at 11:21 a.m.

TomB

Oh - (dumb-ass me) - Now I noticed to add to the original post.

Yeah....well.....I agree w/CIAK.....I'll steer-clear.....As my father once told me..."...son, if ya swim in chit - some's bound to rubb-off on ya.....".....

August 18, 2016 at 11:13 a.m.

TomB

Guess I missed all the fun(?)

August 18, 2016 at 8:02 a.m.

CIAK

Vaa Fakaosifolau Said: I see 6sigma has added new information to the original post and had a crack at someone (cant see who or why).

The reason I am involved is because we have two equipment bays on the roof that have to be off loaded so we can replace the TPO. The duration of that aspect of the job will directly affect how long those three businesses will be out of operation.

As often happens with generalistic type questions like this was to start with, you cant expect anything other than a generalistic answer.

It wasn't well presented from the get go. My impression now of sixsigmacontractor response to a poorly worded topic and then a revised version with disparities cast towards the responses ......:-( life has taught me the reaction towards Tom B reveal the true nature of sixsigmacontrator B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

August 16, 2016 at 3:48 p.m.

TomB

OMG - Really? - WTH? - This is an example of how the insurance'"restoration' scammola BS can get out-of-control with contractors intermingling with insured & their respective carriers/adjusters.....It's none of your concern as a contractor. Plain n' simple.

August 16, 2016 at 8:03 a.m.

CIAK

They are all different. Not sure how shut down cost would be the GC problem. Residential H/O contract policy generally have an extended living expense for the owner that is displaced because of a loss to the home. Insurance company deals directly with owners on that one. B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

August 15, 2016 at 9:27 p.m.

Old School

What do their insurance contracts read? That would be the determining factor. They could all be different!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tremco - Baner Ad - Safety First: Tremco
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad