User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Shop sheet metal brake - Newbie over here

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

clvr83

I'm in the market for a heavy duty industrial brake. Something that can handle 24 gauge Kynar sheets with no sweat. I want to be able to do coping, drip edge, valley metal, counterflashing...you know, roofers stuff!

Two years ago we bought the VanMark 12'6 Metal Master Industrial which is portable. It does 24 gauge, but does not love it. It needs adjusted often. The bends aren't as crispy as that of a shop brake.

The problem is that I know next to nothing about shop brakes. What differentiates them, or their brands? What should I look for, or lookout for?

I almost bought a new 10' Morlin, but then I decided to do some homework. The Boyd Builts are the cheapest I see, but I don't want to regret this purchase. What about Baleigh, or a used Chicago or Roper. School me please.

October 31, 2016 at 6:55 a.m.

Old School

Hand brakes are nice, and they can bend material up to a certain thickness, but to bend a lot and to bend it consistently, nothing beats a computer folder. It depends on how much your time is worth. To shear, trim, mark and bend a lot of p;pieces takes time. he computers will do it the same every time. It is worth it to just call in your order and go pick it up. I have done it both ways. For the small things, the hand brake is great. for the larger, order it.

October 30, 2016 at 12:08 p.m.

clvr83

Lefty Said:
If you are looking for an 8 brake you should be able to find one rather quickly. They are more common

I phrased that kinda weird. I asked him to see if it was a 10' because he didn't specify on the post. I'm shooting for a 10' but for $800 it is hard to pass up.

October 30, 2016 at 10:53 a.m.

Lefty1

Im leaning towards the be patient and cheap route rather than impulsively buy new. I did just barely miss a good 10 for like $2200. I actually asked that guy to make sure it wasnt a 10.

If you are looking for an 8' brake you should be able to find one rather quickly. They are more common.

October 30, 2016 at 10:22 a.m.

wywoody

There is a production shop near me that I use sometimes for large orders. I notice that many of the roofing companies use them as well. Recently all three of their CNC brakes were broken down and they had to shut down production even though they still have a couple of manual brakes sitting against a wall. None of their employees knew how to use them.

October 29, 2016 at 8:16 p.m.

clvr83

Lefty Said: OfferUp is a new place to find stuff.

I'm leaning towards the "be patient and cheap" route rather than impulsively buy new. I did just barely miss a good 10' for like $2200. I actually asked that guy to make sure it wasn't a 10'.

Never heard of Offerup, looks decent.

October 29, 2016 at 3:15 p.m.

Lefty1

I found mine on ebay. I drove 600 miles to get it. Got it for $800.

Here is one on craigslist near you. Looks like an 8' brake. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/5849297681.html

Wait and a 10' will show up on ebay or craigslist.

OfferUp is a new place to find stuff.

October 28, 2016 at 2:23 p.m.

egg

"... it doesn't brake anything..."

It does, though. When you clamp the brake down on the metal before you start lifting the free end, it stops (brakes) the bend at the line you've established with the clamp.

October 28, 2016 at 8:50 a.m.

clvr83

I'm looking for a manually operated break, and less I find a helluva deal on a hydraulic. I can get a new 10 foot Morla i'm looking for a manually operated break, and less I find a helluva deal on a hydraulic. I can get a new 10 foot Morlin 18 ga for under 6000 shipped

October 28, 2016 at 8:47 a.m.

clvr83

We have a 60x80 pole barn not insulated. Wood heated, so that's not worth much. I have a 24" wilder slitter on the way!

October 28, 2016 at 7:06 a.m.

Old School

David, How much do you want to spend? That would be the first thing to figure out so that you know what to look for. Just remember that to really use a break, you would also need a way to cut the stuff you want to bend and that would also mean a shear; and a shop to put them in and the room to use them and a layout table and power and heat etc. $ 40 or 50 K would be a good place to start for a used setup. FYI

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad