User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Shocking Insurance Adjuster

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

OLE Willie

A lady called today and told me a large tree had fallen on her house and wanted me to come over and give her a quote for Insurance purposes. Evidently I was being pessimistic today as i was thinking this is probably going to be a waste of my time but w.t.h. Upon arriving i remembered having done a repair for her a couple years back so turns out shes an existing client and a very happy one at that. :) She took me around to the back yard and pointed out this enormous tree stump. ( the tree service folks had already been there ) Then i look up and all the soffitt, facia, gutter and some of the rafters at the bottom overhang were broken off and laying on the ground. lol The deck was smashed in as well as her AC unit. :unsure: I't was a good bit more wood damage than i had anicipated and the actual roofing repair work was going to be a very small job once the structural damage was repaired. About this time her insurance adjuster pulls up, jumps out of his car, walks over, introduces himself, looks up and says well i thought it was gonna be a lot worse than this. lol I was like oh boy here we go with the B.S. lol Then he pulls out an old wooden fold up ladder from the trunk of his car and runs up the roof with me trailing behind. To my amazement he started measuring the whole roof. I asked, are you going to pay a whole roof claim? He says, well why not its got hail damage all over the place, do you see it? I said oh yeah wow i didn't even look at it yet. ( I didn't see a darn thing ) lol Turns out he was filling in for some guy that just quit and he was heading back home ( up north somewhere ) the next day. He said he was paying all claims to the max for the rest of the day and then he was gone and wasn't leaving anything behind. I never found the golden horse shoe but i should be passing it by tomorrow sometime. lol

January 1, 2010 at 1:09 p.m.

Old School

We know Willie. No offence taken. Hey, I lost about $20.00 the other day also. Kind of a waste, but I had a lot of fun too! LOL

December 31, 2009 at 11:06 a.m.

OLE Willie

P.S. I didn't mean to get bent out of shape. I had just came home from a bad night at the poker table when i made that 2nd post. lol But if you notice i did put a couple of L O L's after the first couple of comments. :)

December 31, 2009 at 11:05 a.m.

OLE Willie

Hi, The whole point of the topic was that i was shocked at the ease in which he paid the claim. I was only expecting a small allowance for a minor roof repair ( from the "tree" damage ) as far as the roof work portion of it. We did have some minor hail damage back in the spring and there are a few hail claims being paid in some areas of town but this was not one of those areas. How many times have all of us struggled at dealing with insurance claims? Even though there is good money in getting an adjuster to pay off a claim I have never been the type to try and push a claim. I try to stay out of it as much as possible stating that it is an issue between them and the homeowner and all i can do is give my opinion ( based on a quarter century of experience).

December 30, 2009 at 8:20 p.m.

Alba

I haven't really quite understood the way they think.Sometimes they look for excuses to honor the claim sometimes they look for excuses to deny it.I've seen 100 some roofs replaced for hail damage in the last 6 months and have yet to run across one with a textbook example of hail damage.The majority of them have spots with missing granules .the rest of the roofs the damages they had were in the imagination of the adjusters.

December 30, 2009 at 12:01 p.m.

JET

gonzo877 Said: I say good for you! You did nothing wrong. If he is paying then why not let a reputable roofer get the work rather than a smuck.

Agree.........

JET

December 30, 2009 at 10:56 a.m.

gonzo877

I say good for you! You did nothing wrong. If he is paying then why not let a reputable roofer get the work rather than a smuck.

December 30, 2009 at 10:48 a.m.

Terry D

Maybe, along with the hail damage that the adjuster diagnosed, he also thought that it might not be possible to match the color of the existing shingle so he just went for the whole roof. Around here we have helped customers argue with their insurance co for replacement, especially if the color match is going to be way off and the roof has a good life left.

I could not consider this stealing because the adjuster came to this conclusion on his own. If Willie had done some fast talking to change his mind, it would be another story. Maybe because it was Christmas, this guy was full of good will or tequila or something else.

At any rate, the customer is getting a new roof, several people will have money in their pocket because they have a job and the adjuster feels good for making someone happy.

December 30, 2009 at 8:48 a.m.

CIAK

I agree with Ole School lighten up . We know you and love ya . Comon man . Now lets talk Depending on the Insurance carrier the requirements are different for the adjusters . Some company's want a complete drawing of the roof with areas damaged others don't . I can't say for sure he may have been fun'n with ya. There are other issues that might happen here . There are matching issues color fade etc. If you said oh yeah to the adjuster you might have given a signal that perhaps you were hungry . " i dunno " I'm not yanking your chain here . Just trying to figure out what was going on . Was there a hail storm blow through ??? Was he a insurance adjuster on day rate or an independent working for a service ? Was his work load heavy and many claims on his schedule ?? These are all question that you should have asked . The next time ask these type of questions . You may be surprised at the answers . Asking the right question , opens and creates good answers .

December 30, 2009 at 7:28 a.m.

Old School

Easy big fella! Just teasing. You know you have to have a thicker skin on this forum than most. That is because we all love ya!

December 30, 2009 at 1:05 a.m.

OLE Willie

Now i realize why there are not many topics posted on here anymore. Everyone got tired of being Ripped!! lol I share an experience that happened today and now my chain is yanked, I'm buying a new BMW and stealing. lol I don't have the job yet. May never get it. I referred the carpenter work to a good carpenter i know. Their representative said the roof had hail damage and he was paying for a new one. Im not a hail expert so i don't know hail damage unless its obvious. He came up with the hail damage of his own accord and i didn't argue the point. Should i have tried to talk him out of paying for this nice young couple a new roof after a tree ravaged their home on christmas eve, falling on the roof of their young daughters bedroom and knocking their power out until the day after Christmas? W.T.F. ?????

December 29, 2009 at 9:06 p.m.

Terry

Hummmmm, I'm not so sure I agree with this, remember what goes around comes around. Isn't that a form of stealing? B)

December 29, 2009 at 8:22 p.m.

Old School

Ole Willie can make the payment on his BMW this month!

December 29, 2009 at 7:59 p.m.

robert

You realize it also has to do with the policy the insured has a lot to do with it,he may have just been yanking your chain and the policy calls for replacement.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tremco - Baner Ad - Safety First: Tremco
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar