English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Shingle prices going down? Cheaper metal shingles coming? Solar panels mandated on every roof??

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

clvr83

What the heck did I miss in March. I don't know if this site is credible, but it sure got my blood pumpin this morning.

http://www.roofcalc.org/roofing-news-updates-04-01-2015/

May 11, 2015 at 8:20 p.m.

Old School

Here is the link I was talking about Listen to it and see what you think.

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

May 11, 2015 at 8:20 p.m.

Old School

It is from 11 days ago. April 30, 2015

May 11, 2015 at 6:36 p.m.

wywoody

The solar shingles that interlock with tile make sense for my house because I have tile and it's no longer in production and I could use the displaced tile for spares.

What doesn't make sense is CertainTeed requiring you go through a supplier counter monkey who then asks a CT salesman, both who know nothing about or even the existence of the product and have to wait for a reply to even know how much it costs, if it can use an off-the-shelf invertor, if having only 6 squares of southern exposure is enough to make a difference......I'm learning you have to be patient to be part of the future.

May 11, 2015 at 1:16 p.m.

TomB

The analogy of the old satellite antenna vs todays' has the ringing of a good sales tool & I hope will come to fruition.

However - I'm right there w/bdub when it comes to the reality of it all.

I can build a single-family home - even multi-family communities, in rural settings, that would be completely self-sufficient/off the grid, relatively easy and cost-effective. However, that just won't work for the masses.

Everybody's jumped on the Solar band-wagon.

May 11, 2015 at 10:59 a.m.

bdub

I deal with solar a lot down here on the islands. Our whole country is run off diesel generators. My electric bill at home is anywhere from 1k to 2k per month. Power goes down a lot and when their generator goes out and my cummins kicks on ive got a feeling im actually saving money.

Even still, we cannot get the ROI (return on investment) for solar, wind or tidal to come close to making sense. The problem still comes down to storage. The batteries are the biggest expense and the lifespan of these batteries is still the deal killer same with electric cars.

Now when it comes to private islands off the grid, many people rely on solar and even wind. But these systems are far more expensive than generators. The only reason for doing it is self sufficiency NOT savings. Ive spent a lot of time with the engineers on these projects and im certain. This is every day knowledge here. Just like we all know asphalt shingles are a 10yr roof here, plywood is not suitable for roof deck, composites are the biggest waste of money, stainless stains LESS, galvanized rusts within a week, aluminum corrodes in a few yrs, galvalume is an oxymoron, etc. These are not conspiracy theories, it is every day common knowledge here.

Solar has been around for decades and wind has been around for centuries. Theres a reason why the world runs off fossil fuels and its the same reason roofers sell asphalt shingles, plastic and galvalume. Bizness gents.

All that said though, other island nations like bermuda for instance have found a way to make solar work. Remember storage is the problem. Existing power infrastructure is the perfect solution! Put solar panels on everything, run them IN to the main power grid through the day. Power company buy the power from the residents then at night they sell the residents power back. This system has been proven to work but does take government involvement because it requires participation from all to function. This model is still being studied.

I cannot comment on asphalt shingles because i havent even seen them in years. Last i heard, usa was calling all asphalt lifetime or some nonsense! I thought asphalt shingles were already the cheapest roof money can buy. (By cheap im only referring to point of sale cost and quality) We all watched as the price of asphalt shingles rose as the quality sunk yet the lifespan claims went through the roof! Perhaps now the price is going down, the quality will go back up?

Regarding "metal" do we need cheaper "metal"?! Really?! Yall did see what they said right? Thinner stock? Really? Man, down here i dont even mess with aluminum cause it dont last. Ive been asked by close clients if i would and i said i could give them a 20yr warranty at best with .040 double locked with stainless clips and fasteners. I dont even use 16oz copper anymore, too thin.

Yes i care what happens in the usa even though i try my best to plug my ears and sing loud. Unfortunately my country follows right behind america. Americas cheap crap is washing up on our shores. Grace done reach along with cedar breather, plywood, composites and people are even starting to foam down tiles!!!

The movie Idiocracy was off by at least 400yrs!!!! Yes OS i relapsed!

May 11, 2015 at 10:19 a.m.

bdub

I deal with solar a lot down here on the islands. Our whole country is run off diesel generators. My electric bill at home is anywhere from 1k to 2k per month. Power goes down a lot and when their generator goes out and my cummins kicks on ive got a feelEven still, we cannot get the ROI (return on investment) to come close to making sense. The problem still comes down to storage. The batteries are the biggest expense and the lifespan of these batteries is still the deal killer same with electric cars.

Now when it comes to private islands off the grid, many people rely on solar and even wind. But these systems are far more expensive than generators. The only reason for doing it is self sufficiency NOT savings. Ive spent a lot of time with the engineers on these projects and im certain. This is every day knowledge here. Just like we all know asphalt shingles are a 10yr roof here, plywood is not suitable for roof deck, composites are the biggest waste of money, galvanized rusts within a week, aluminum corrodes in a few yrs, etc. These are not conspiracy theories, it is every day common knowledge here.

Solar has been around for decades and wind has been around for centuries. Theres a reason why the world runs off fossil fuels and its the same reason roofers sell asphalt shingles, plastic and galvalume. Bizness gents.

May 10, 2015 at 9:51 p.m.

clvr83

That Tesla wall mount battery sounds pretty freakin cool. I think we will all be intermingling with solar stuff before too long. I think Vickie is dead on with her statement comparing original solar installations to those huge satellites everybody had in their back yard in the 80's.

Part of the reason I really got motivated to start installing metal a few years ago was because I believe solar will be part of our future. Now, I'm even more convinced.

We just installed our first Metro Cottage roof OS. Pretty nifty. I like it except I don't know it's limitations yet. Such as I don't know how to do a short row. I don't like that you can't split a shingle in half and install it if your course is going to end w/ a small cut. We are doing a Metro Shake in a couple of weeks and I'm bidding a super nice house for Metro shake soon too. I think I will really like that panel.

May 10, 2015 at 8:18 p.m.

Old School

They just completed a HUGE solar plant in California I believe and the Tesla company is putting a plant in Michigan to do something with a "minivan" solar vehicle. Tesla also just introduced a "solar wall panel" that is supposed to act like a battery to balance out the supply and demand. Tax credits will also go a long way to make it viable, so it may be a lot closer than you think. There are literally acres of sloped roofs that could use the solar panels. Interesting.

May 10, 2015 at 7:55 p.m.

TomB

Those things have been around for at least a decade or so, that I'm aware of, just as most all the solar - Not sure there's been any earth-shattering technology developments - I know there's been some w/batteries. IMHO, it's simply gooberment/tax dollars been thrown at it recently, which will cycle-back around when the political landscape changes.....

May 10, 2015 at 7:35 p.m.

clvr83

OS: I agree. I talk with a solar installer quite a bit, but he has to travel to get steady work. I keep thinking that my market and his are going to intermingle, but not yet.

IL threw a bunch of grants towards solar installs last year and I wrote a blog about it. I got a decent amount of hits, but not a single inquiry.

May 10, 2015 at 10:27 a.m.

Old School

Actually I believe that those solar tiles could really be the wave of the future and a BIG part of our work in the years to come. Millions of acres of them on roofs means a lot of work for someone who gets in on the ground floor. We would also be working with them to put our knowledge to work and make it easier. My opinion anyway.

May 3, 2015 at 8:35 p.m.

clvr83

I hate being fooled. A joke is one thing, but this was too far!

ahhh

May 3, 2015 at 7:51 p.m.

clvr83

TomB: :laugh: :laugh:

woody: Let us know how they work if you get them.

May 3, 2015 at 7:32 p.m.

wywoody

I've thought about putting these on my South-facing roof. My suppliers act annoyed that I even want to know how much they cost.

http://www.certainteed.com/products/roofing/solar/342837

But I'm worried my schedule this year is getting so tight, I might not have time to install them before current incentives expire. But it sounds like if I wait, Obama will have new incentives plus buy me my invertor. I'm gonna have all the free power I'll need to sit around heating my nachos topped with free government cheese. The future looks bright.

May 3, 2015 at 6:08 p.m.

TomB

& a happy 4-1 to you too!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Johns Manville - Banner Ad - How to Connect with Vocational Schools (RLW)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad