User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Shingle prices

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Mike M.

I haven't noticed many postings on the cost of shingles, and the way the manufacturers all keep raising the prices, almost quarterly, and a lot since 2007. Increase has been near 90% and up, it's getting really hard to compete, when you add all the other overhead, and your not always bidding against Mr. upright roofing. First they said it was cost of oil. Now it is supposed to be because of asphalt costs, has anyone heard of any reduction in prices coming up, or at least stabilizing.>>>

August 12, 2009 at 6:50 p.m.

Mike M.

Twill59 Making a living, the only way we stay out of the red, is speed, but around here, if you bid where it should be , you lose th work, up against a lot of under the table crews, no comp, no real payroll, etc. We cannot match their prices, so we still come in a bit higher, and count on our reputation to make up for the difference, but, cannot bid to keep matching the price hikes, as I said a lot of others can cover this extra cost , since they are not paying, comp, unemployment, actual legit payroll. That's the problem, and there isn't much you can do but eat the price hikes on materials, or get out.>>>

August 11, 2009 at 3:16 p.m.

Mike M.

I just heard at lumber yard today that shingles are going up again, first week of September another 4% to 6%. These guys need a wake up on this, they are all in on this it seems to me, like last years gas prices. I mean, the economy is in the pits, everything is down, including every elevator I try to get going "up", the Mississippi river, it'a goin dry, the stock markets down , and your gonna get mugged if you go downtown. I cannot get these additional costs off potential customers, I either eat it, or I'll be laying off. I would like to know the "whole" truth behind all these price hikes. I just don't know how much longer I can tread water, especially with all these sharks in here with me.>>>

August 9, 2009 at 11:10 p.m.

kage

For Pabco 30yr were at $60/sq.up here in BC>>>

August 9, 2009 at 12:39 a.m.

OLE Willie

Gaf and Tamko were up around 80 per sq. for the longest time until Home Depot put Gaf on 25% off for about 2 months. Everyone started buying from Home Depot so the others dropped prices down to around 70. But only when they were forced to do it to compete.>>>

August 7, 2009 at 5:52 a.m.

soldierboy

:blink: :silly: Prices here in Northern Ohio are about $72-83.00 for CertainTeed Laminates. ABC sells IKO for $67.00 and Modern Builders are letting Atlas go for $66.50. I won't use anything cept GAF/ELK or CertainTeed on our roofs. I let the hacks use the stuff that hasn't stood the test of time. Recession brought in the lower priced shingles, Hacks started only using them. Beat us up on price everytime, but I still win enough jobs as people still want quality over price everyday of the week. Sure does make it tougher to sell though.

Nails and Underlayment has gone down a couple bucks though. Nails where at $45.00 for 1 1/4 coils, now there at $22.00 again.

>>>

August 6, 2009 at 6:11 p.m.

Old School

Hey, is that like "joe" the plumber?

Just wait till all of this money we have spent catches up with the market. Prices will triple and then triple again. I don't have a crystal ball, but I have seen what has happened in other countries every time they inflate the curency by printing money. It has just started too. Change we wanted, and change we are getting. What a ride it is going to be! good luck all.>>>

August 6, 2009 at 4:05 p.m.

Mr.JoeRoofer

Underlayment pricing is coming down as well as nails and accessory prices .... Shingles (30 yr lams) are holding at $78 to $80 square - 'cept ABC Supply where they are selling 30 yr. IKO under $70 square .....>>>

August 6, 2009 at 3:17 p.m.

roofmanfrank

The story we are getting in Michigan is that the stimulus package cut loose a bunch of money for road projects that were on hold. The asphalt supply was already short because we are getting better at refining oil and there is less by product (asphalt) We have just recieved letters from our suppliers in the last 2 wks warning us of another 5% to 8% increase for september. Hold on to your hats boys, this isn't gonna get better for awhile.....>>>

August 6, 2009 at 6:21 a.m.

Jed

Not sure there will ever be a reduction, but our supplier here in LA has not passed on a price increase to us so far this year. We are currently at $78.50 sq for GAF 30yr archs.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS - L&L contest
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better