User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Sellng Metal Roofing

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

vickie

So as many of you know I am in California where metal roofing (not granulated shingle types) is rare. But I really want a metal roof because I love the look. I have a few more questions:

Do metal roofing installers only sell metal roofing (like in California) or do you sell both?

Why you sell metal over shingles?

I am only going for looks but what else should I be considering?

What are the selling points?

Thanks!

January 17, 2020 at 5:15 a.m.

victoriamorgon08

Metal roofing has a long history and a great future as a roofing option on residential and commercial buildings. Metal roofs are durable, long-lasting and require little to no maintenance. But it is very important to weigh the pros and cons of metal against other common roof materials, such as asphalt, wood, rubber, and tile. Another key benefit of metal roofing is that they positively impact building performance by providing longevity, durability, and sustainability. A coat of EPDM Liquid Rubber will further enhance the metal roof's aesthetic and performance characteristics.

December 12, 2016 at 7:52 p.m.

Fummins

Hard to beat standing seam, aesthically pleasing and functional. Especially in fire country. Its getting harder and harder for folks here (Northern California)to get fire insurance. I believe some Insurers offer a premium discount if I remember right. Damn pricey too...

December 7, 2016 at 9:11 p.m.

Old School

We do standing seam and also the Metro Stone Coated Steel roofs. The stone coated look nice and they will hold up. As Lindsey and Mike say, they are light and will withstand earth quakes and high winds when applied correctly. They do require special tools to install as far as the cutting and bending go, and as in all other hard roofing products, the attention to details is the most important "Detail" We do some shingles and some EPDM roofing too, so any good mechanic can do the work. good luck with that one.

December 7, 2016 at 7:13 p.m.

TomB

I concur with both Vaa & wywoody......all good points

December 7, 2016 at 12:00 p.m.

wywoody

Metal roofing on residential roofs tends to be either a love/hate thing. If you plan on staying in your home go for it, if you plan on reselling soon, I'd reconsider it.

December 7, 2016 at 6:03 a.m.

Lindsey Hill1

Metal roofs provide the following lasting benefits:

Proven performance expectation of 50+ years Beautiful styles to match any home or neighborhood Interlocking panels for maximum wind resistance Fire resistance Energy efficiency by keeping homes cooler Low weight to help preserve structural integrity and life

December 6, 2016 at 6:51 p.m.

TomB

You're most-likely referring to "standing Seam" which utilizes concealed fasteners or possibly "Pro-Panel" (more of a corrugated/exposed fastener type).

We do all types of metal roofing - Not a big fan of the stone-coated types that simulate tile of asphalt shingles - Would just rather use the real thing.

Only "selling-over" aspect might be if in a very heavy snow area - The Pro-Panel is relatively inexpensive as compared to the standing seam.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WTI - Banner Ad - Apprentice Podcast 2024
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar