User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

SA pricing

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

wywoody

I have done probably about 15 SA roofs. But all of those have been small ancillary roofs done along with doing a tile roof. The average size of these roofs might be 1 and a half squares. Because of that, the price I have gotten for them is more than $1000 per square. But I have to bid one tomorrow that's about 6 squares and will likely have a competing bidder. Any estimates of what a competitive price for a three layer SA system is?

March 29, 2010 at 8:36 a.m.

wywoody

CT has a plant here and reps, it's just that I don't buy enough of their product to ever be contacted by their reps. Next time you see one, tell them some crazy guy out West thinks they need to offer a version of their SA cap sheet with selvage on both edges. About a third of the jobs I have done had spots where that would have been helpful.

March 27, 2010 at 9:50 a.m.

wywoody

Thanks TRG. What's a Certnteed rep look like? That's a rare creature in my orbit.

March 24, 2010 at 8:04 p.m.

egg

I just revisited the current specs on these residential SA systems. GAF (who bought out ELK) only condones them down to 1/2 in twelve. Nobody is stocking their FR stuff. I'm switching to the Mulehide system and have to add a G2 base under it all. We don't have a choice about the Class A like you do in Portland. Is a flaming shrimp kabob one that just can't conceal it's identity no matter what?

March 23, 2010 at 9:56 a.m.

wywoody

I'm going with Flintastic, but it'll be different. I noticed online that they give a longer warranty with plybase (it's different than nail base) instead of midply. After a lengthy discussion with the counter help, (I don't know why don't I assume they're as ignorant about SA as they are tile), I decided to stick with midply only to find that they no longer stock it.

I've been trying to figure out how densdeck would be of any value with a barbeque fire. The only scenario I could come up with, involves a passing crow and a flaming shrimp kabob.

March 22, 2010 at 10:54 p.m.

egg

Good for you. I just bid one ten minutes ago that size with 26 ft. gutter for $2470. This is a gc I need to help get rolling on something. Which system are you using, Flintlastic?

March 22, 2010 at 7:01 p.m.

wywoody

It turns out it was only 360 square feet. I'm doing it for within spitting distance of $4k.

March 22, 2010 at 5:19 p.m.

tinner666

I was per square too. Small is more per sq. Complications, details, etc. can increase it substantially.

March 22, 2010 at 11:11 a.m.

egg

Just to clean this up a little, I have to mention fire ratings because here we are not allowed to install anything less than a class A system in the county and generally no less than a class B in even the most lenient municipalities. These systems vary a little, but in general I have discovered that you are kind of boxed in by their specs (which you can get from any of the manuf.) in that you need 1/4 slope to comply with their drainage requirements, and you're only Class A to 1/2 in twelve. Between that and 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 (depending on the manuf) you need 1/4 inch densdeck under it. This assumes the FR cap sheet. Beyond that point (because at 2/12 you can stretch it to comp) you're in a real no-man's land. Just thought I'd mention that in case it applies in your locations. Don't want some barbeque fire leading indirectly to your nest egg.

March 22, 2010 at 9:14 a.m.

wywoody

Thanks EGG. I figured that on your price, I didn't think you were an $83.33 per square guy. B) As I mentioned, most that I've done were small but there has been a big variety of tie-in details that I've dealt with and never had any problems. It's open areas that I haven't dealt with, or priced.

I know what you mean on the mid-ply. I'll have some base or cap left over every job, but never any mid-ply. you can always spot spots that you think another layer of it couldn't hurt.

March 22, 2010 at 12:24 a.m.

egg

I guess my contribution to the discussion was unclear. I would be in at that number per square, not as a total price. fwiw. I make some assumptions though. Great pains taken with each layer, with fastening, with priming (we prime the fastener caps too) the edge details, the rolling and the layout, the laps, the extra granules, the AMBIENT temp and material management during the process, keeping grit and dirt off immaculate receiving surfaces. They take time; there is no labor savings whatsoever. I treat every layer as finish work, inspired of course by seeing the finished work of MikeNZ. I've done quite a few of them now, the largest was 40 sq. with parapets all around. So far I have had no problems, but on numerous occasions we had to shut down for lack of heat. Even though it has been, yes, said, that you can put a torch to them, or hot air, I want them compatible with the sky and no damage done to either side. They are clean. They can take foot traffic. I usually do a double mid-ply with a base and cap and no stacked laps. My advice is to take a loss on the first one if you're worried about the long-term consequences of being high on it. Offer it as a special deal or something. Get your own sense of what a larger one takes before you center on a price. You can't lose much on a six square patio cover. imo.

March 21, 2010 at 7:42 p.m.

tinner666

Yes, $600-$1,500. 'depending'.

March 21, 2010 at 7:10 p.m.

wywoody

That gives me a bit of comparison background. This is in a development of zero lot-line homes that all have tile roofs and flat roofs over their patios. The tile was done poorly and I do repairs for about half of the owners just by word-of-mouth. I wouldn't want the word-of-mouth to be that I was way expensive and have everyone start getting bids for their tile work.

March 21, 2010 at 11:54 a.m.

egg

500/

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Johns Manville - Banner Ad - How to Connect with Vocational Schools (RLW)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad