User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Roofing Contractor Consumer Protection Act

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

natty

For some reason the Texas legislature just can not pass a roofing licensure law- someone tries every legislative session. So this year, they are trying to implement a voluntary registration data base under the authority of the Insurance Commissioner. It looks similar to the BBB. The bill requires all roofing contractors to disclose whether or not they carry insurance in their contracts. The penalty is the equivalent to a traffic ticket. The bill also forbids the infamous "covering deductibles" on insurance claims. That is already illegal under insurance fraud laws. That is a jailable offense- class A misdemeanor. It is already illegal for a roofer to act as an insurance adjuster, so now it is also an offense under this bill. Again, the equivalent of a traffic ticket if you can prove it.

I don't know why, but in some states, a contractor's license is a ticket to make money while in other states like Texas, it is every man for himself. I say for the buyer beware. Insurance is nothing but a racket.

March 15, 2015 at 10:54 a.m.

TomB

I can empathize w/ya.

Colorado passed some dumb-azz legislation a few years ago, similar in respect that it was focused around the re-roofing insurance game. The only impact on us was taking up the entire first page of our residential re-proposal/contract.

I never ran across any other roofing contractor's that implemented the required language, nor did I ever hear any more on the subject at all; No violators, etc.....It was simply added to the heap of existing legislation - "carry-on Garth"....

Licensing would indeed be beneficial to both contractors and consumers IF it could be appropriately developed, implemented and enforced. However, some years ago, I came to the realization that can never happen in this PC, liberal, idiotic society we've managed to create for ourselves.

No sense fretting - just tuck'n roll baby!

March 15, 2015 at 9:34 a.m.

tinner666

License, ins, signage, tc are all required here. For every legal looking company, there are 10-15 unmarked trucks running into the supply houses picking up material for their jobs.

;)

March 15, 2015 at 1:18 a.m.

Chuck2

The legislation is not to help the roofers. It's to help the insurance companies. ;)

March 14, 2015 at 7:45 a.m.

clvr83

Tim: I don't blame you, but then again, we are white males who have a good name for ourselves. Doesn't get any better than that in America right?

What about the guys who are damned good at roofing, but can't sell a roof because of all the illegal & unethical operations.

I'm on the fence about licensing. I have a license but regularly compete against unlicensed white & mexican guys. Or uninsured, or guys who think they can roof. It's the wild west around here, except for one town whose inspector cares(and he married a Mexican!)

Now that we have the licensing, even unchecked, I'd rather keep it. If we didn't have it, I *think* I'd rather NOT have licensing. But then again, I'm at the top looking down(sort of)

Also, I doubt it would do any good in TX except for in metropolitan areas that have the money to enforce it. *traffic ticket* lol

March 13, 2015 at 6:37 p.m.

natty

Here is a link to the act: ftp://ftp.legis.state.tx.us/bills/84R/billtext/html/house_bills/HB01400_HB01499/HB01488I.htm

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Beacon - Banner Ad - This is Roofing School! (RLW)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo