User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

"roofers" are really starting to frustrate me.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

TARBABY

2 guys hired this week and 2 guys fired. With the economy so bad and unemployment so high, why am I having such a hard time finding good quality installers. Every time I hire a new roofer, he ends up being lazy, late, or way under skilled for what his application said. I get calls every day from sub crews wanting to go to work but I am trying my best to keep it as employees. I use one sub crew for 2-3 shingle jobs per week but my metal, bur, torch down, and renovation and repair jobs I prefer my in house guys to do and which makes up the bulk of my business.

Is everyone a subber now? or have all the craftsmen retired or died?

August 5, 2010 at 8:42 a.m.

TARBABY

already let 2 go this week, letting 2 more go tomorrow. sigh.

August 5, 2010 at 12:48 a.m.

Robby the Roofer

I worked for 9 roofing companies in my 15 years...most of them small. Problem that I had was starting out as a laborer for co. "A", I had to stay one until I moved to a new company. Company "B" let me shingle a bit after my labor duties were finished, and to be a full time shingler, I had to move on again. Co. "C" hired me as a full time shingler, I had to move on to be a foreman. Co. "D" hired me as a foreman for thier large firm, got stuck with all the left overs (everyday was a different tear off/shingle crew). Got exhausted of that and moved on to bigger and better things looking for advancment.

Last three years spent as a Quality Control Manager/Safety Officer/Supply Manager.

Point is....The good guys walk away if you don't train and advanced them quickly, but there are only a few of us in the haystack to work with...so the pickings are hard to find anyways.

August 4, 2010 at 7:45 p.m.

Mike M.

Hire young go getters just out of high schoool or military with wife or fiancee, and a kid on the way, teach them your way, then they only know one way, the right way, plus they will work, especially if you continue to give incentatives. I learned the hard way , do not hire the guy who comes to you saying he has worked for twelve roofing companies, that statement alone should be enough to tell you, No Way Jose'

August 3, 2010 at 9:06 p.m.

Verified

I fired the crew leader and replaced with one of the other guys I hired and things are going great now. No issues what so ever. So I will keep em ;) :cheer:

August 1, 2010 at 8:08 p.m.

Verified

I feel your pain. I just hired one who seemed like he was gonna be a good one (resume was great)..least the first 2 days. then screw up after screw up. I hired a whole crew to put around this guy to handle all specialty work so that my shingle crew could just do shingles. This guy flakes out now Im stuck with the guys who are left. I think one will make a good foreman and we will see over the next couple days. I went against what was working and hired "employees" instead of free lance subs. My subs work for several diff roofers if I cant keep em busy which releaves all pressure of having a job 6 days a week for them. They are the best.. they have their own insurance, never any leaks and never any issues...they are 6 guys plus crew leader and have new dump and trucks. They just did 155 sq off and on in just over 3 days there pay was $8,100. My other crew has stressed me out over the same time frame. they are doing metal R panels R&R on Texas DOT building...Job isnt bad (except for some miss cuts and started one side just a little out of level so lost a couple more panels due to screw holes) but they are arguing and showing up late and leaving early. 48 sq. should take 4 days tops...been 3 days already and they have it about 1/2 done or just less. Labor is $4,200 on that one. 4 guys so should be in good shape but I hate the stress. Hoping it goes better this week.

July 26, 2010 at 12:11 p.m.

jimAKAblue

"it never occured to me until I read it but now I see that it applies directly to my lead foreman"

I had that same epiphany when I read the book. I struggled for years to understand the workers that I hired and trained. I always strove to teach them everything and I thought I could make everyone as motivated as myself. I learned from the book that I was actually driving many of my good mechanics AWAY!

July 26, 2010 at 11:15 a.m.

Jed

jimAKAblue Said:
lanny Said: ---I have always said that when you get a good roofer he eventaully leaves to start his own company. Lanny

I would recommend the book First, Break all the Rules. This book will teach the techniques to hold onto your qualified workforce.

There always will be good mechanics that will come up through the ranks that dont want to start their own business. Its important to know and understand who they are. Then, its important to offer them a fulfilling work experience if you want them to stay.

You might be surprised at what is most important in their lives. Your first guess will probably be money.

That's key right there and it never occured to me until I read it but now I see that it applies directly to my lead foreman as he is laid back to the point of simply letting "the firm" shoulder the everyday hassles of running a business.

July 26, 2010 at 8:56 a.m.

jimAKAblue

lanny Said: ---I have always said that when you get a good roofer he eventaully leaves to start his own company. Lanny

I would recommend the book First, Break all the Rules. This book will teach the techniques to hold onto your qualified workforce.

There always will be good mechanics that will come up through the ranks that don't want to start their own business. It's important to know and understand who they are. Then, it's important to offer them a fulfilling work experience if you want them to stay.

You might be surprised at what is most important in their lives. Your first guess will probably be money.

July 24, 2010 at 7:35 a.m.

ottawa_roofer

LMAO, Hey Humble. we share the same frustration.

July 24, 2010 at 7:24 a.m.

ottawa_roofer

@ this time of year, if you find an unemployed roofer who applies to work for you. Be aware, if he's good, why isn't he working. Just a thought. :dry:

July 24, 2010 at 6:30 a.m.

tico

theirs A statistic as to the authenticity of the documentaqtion for "others". it survives the E-verify program in it's ability to be detected. got to a roof.in A coppish looking car and tell them in spanish that in A hour"Migra'" or immigtation will be coming with "system nueva para autentication' de documento'". when you do though make sure you bring guys to finish the job.

July 24, 2010 at 12:50 a.m.

Robby the Roofer

In our area, I have seen a lot of owners...over the last 5 years....will hire 4 man crews on the spot rather than individuals. Of course they are documented hispanic roofers. Try hiring 4 different american roofers and put them together on one roof...and hope the homeowner doesn't call complaining that the roofers are arguing all day. Been there and seen it!

July 22, 2010 at 6:55 p.m.

TARBABY

Robby the Roofer Said: In my neck of the woods...The good roofers are kept while the others are let go. Meaning ...there are a lot less good roofers in the business compared to the many average joes that are running out there trying to find a job.

And it is said that it is the employers market...RIGHT!!!

Thats just the thing Robby, in my neck of the woods, its ALL sub work, I can think of 3 companies that use employees and 2 of them are 2 of the best reputable companies around. The stormers are eating up the bulk of the work which is hurting alot of people, and they all use bottom feeder subs. Its turning the repair market into a gold mine but its a crying shame all at the same time.

July 22, 2010 at 6:38 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

In my neck of the woods...The good roofers are kept while the others are let go. Meaning ...there are a lot less good roofers in the business compared to the many average joes that are running out there trying to find a job.

And it is said that it is the employers market...RIGHT!!!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tremco - Baner Ad - Safety First: Tremco
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Maven Group SIdebar Ad