User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Roof jack silicone failure

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

rerod

Hello.

I have a standing seam roof with kynar coating and the the roof jacks were installed and sealed with silicone caulk. One of them was leaking I have a temporary piece of duct tape sealing it up at the moment. Iv read silicone works well, but after it fails, needs to be completely removed because silicone will not stick to itself.

After I remove the silicone completely, what brand and type of caulk should I replace it with specifically? I want the best I can get my hands on, but I also don't want it to have the same "wont stick to itself" and difficult removal properties of silicone. I apologize for my "whats the best caulk question" But even though the roof is life long, caulk isn't.

Thanks!

December 4, 2016 at 3:13 p.m.

wywoody

I like Geocel and Chemlink products. I never use Vulkem because it comes in a cardboard tube, not good for the wet country unless you use the whole tube every use.

November 30, 2016 at 3:14 a.m.

Chuck2

I've been using Geocel 2300 tripolymer construction sealant for many years now with no issues except it sticks to everything including my clothing, hair, skin, truck, etc... :)

November 28, 2016 at 12:03 a.m.

Alba

NP1 used to be the contractors favorite around here but has fallen out of favor for quite a while.ABC in my area quit carrying it. Duralink and titebond perform much better. they stick even to wet surfaces while NP1 doesn't.

November 27, 2016 at 7:09 p.m.

Mike H

NP1 and Vulkem are both good urethane sealants.

But, do yourself a favor, and get a butyl sealant or tape, fold the top of the boot down, install the butyl, turn the boot back up into the butyl, and install a stainless steel clamp band to create a compression seal. Then top it off with whatever color sealant you like to cover the butyl and band..... but then again, most rubber pipe jacks are so ugly it won't matter.

Whatever you put on the top can rot away and it won't leak. The butyl is the sealant.

November 27, 2016 at 7:11 a.m.

rerod

Thanks guys.

So something like NP1 or vulkem would be a good choice?

November 20, 2016 at 1:42 p.m.

egg

He's talking about plumbing "jacks" here, not roof brackets, John. jfwiw

November 20, 2016 at 12:48 p.m.

Old School

Roof jacks on a standing seam roof??? What the hell were they thinking? You attach to the standing seams with clamps, you don't poke holes into it. That is like asking how many babies is it "normal" to drop on the floor of the nursery. OMG

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

APOC - Banner - 3x Points - June
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices