User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Ripped off on my commissions!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

IBROOFING

There seems to be so many scamming roofing companies out there that recruit you and rip you off over and over again! How do you get paid and not have to file liens on your customers property and get these carnival act gypsy roofing companies to pay up..Seems to be a real problem everywhere!! I thought I was a sales pro and lost thousands of dollars, Anyone??

October 23, 2009 at 1:48 p.m.

Mr Shingle

Tico

Sorry you worked for a big company and things didn’t work out for you, but that’s one company. It sounds like your bitter at roof salesmen too.

Salesmen are as important, than any other part of the trade. With out them you have no need for the labor part of the trade. A salesman is only a salesman not the tradesman installing the roof. You wouldn’t expect the car salesman that you bought your car from to do the oil change would you. No, that’s why the dealer has a service department.

Proper Roofing Company’s have departments and separate personal if needed depending on the volume they do. Administration Sales Production Service

With out all of them being knowledgeable in the trades they are performing, they will fail.

October 23, 2009 at 11:52 a.m.

tico

no it's not A rant.I just tried to work for A big co.they couldn't find their ass with 2 hands but stayed in business. thats not A roofer. lousy people doing A big diservice to every one.

October 23, 2009 at 11:48 a.m.

tico

A roofer is what we identify as the gentleman that has come up roofing.knows his trade and how to conduct good business. take care of the vendors. don't put A schlep in front of your customers that has to call the office to ask A question. has A worthy and competent crew,with A foreman that can answer any question and then if at all possible A floating superintendant that checks on jobs. they loved us guys that performed. so much they fired others that corked off.they'll send A good layer or paper man or mop guy home before they let them cause dissention.quality and cohesivness get the job done.they are who I respect. like the old S.Fla co.s and now you got these big money schills that rape the trade and the offspring is the new fangled salesman and sub that play and lay for pay. roofing is roofing.not selling roofs and hiring A sub.everyone being responsible for their 1099.so they just rake profit and have little to no connection or committment to 50,000 homeowners in A year.the homeowner gets A warranty from the manufacturer and then the "roofer"(fake)has no responsibility.

hire one of the cats here to do A roof.then call them 5 years later and tell them they did your roof.that you've got A leak and see if they don't come and look at it. then tell you that you don't have a warranty but since they built it they will work it out for you. again I offer my head.thats the faith I have in my brother roofer.most of them just want to work and be happy. and happy starts with the customer.

October 23, 2009 at 11:22 a.m.

Mr Shingle

Tico

So I can understand you post what is a real roofer and his company, or was your post just a rant?

October 23, 2009 at 11:12 a.m.

tico

the problem is the industry.for A true to die kick 90 roofer them co.s are A joke. they've ripped the soul out of it being A tradesmans profession. frickin salesman that don't know squat about roofing,that goes to the GM and says something related to the roof work and he tells you to call the SUB.GMAFB. it sucks they suck and thats just it in A nutshell. there's no such thing as A national roofing co.it's A storm chaser that employs car and shoe salesman.they hire subs and roll up when the next big one breaks.they screw the salesman,the ins.co.s the homeowner and the sub. I'll sit in any one of their offices for A week and find A slew of problems that a real roofer and his co. will not commit.cause to me when they are doing it they commit crimes.and I'll cut my head off and hand it to you before my body hits the ground. thats how sure I am.

October 23, 2009 at 11:09 a.m.

Mr Shingle

If you are not paid simply file suit in small claims in the jurisdiction that the work was performed. If the company has closed the office that you where hired at. Simply get the registered agent from the state and serve the company at that address. You would want to serve the registered agent in any scenario. That’s why all 50 states require one to be listed with the state.

Now if your referring to a scenario that you went to work for a company that was not properly licensed or registered with the state. I would first look at myself and ask what was I thinking. Than I would go to the supplier that loaded my jobs and find out where the bills where being mailed to “most likely the home office” check with that state as to who is the registered agent and have them served there.

Special note: If the company didn’t register as a corporation/llc or a foreign corporation/llc in the state they where working in you can list the owner/owners and wife in the law suit. That’s always good dinner conversation explaining to your wife why she was sued.

To answer the question no matter if they have left the state or stayed in the state the outcome would be the same.

October 23, 2009 at 9:27 a.m.

Mr Shingle

There is no doubt a lot of scamming roofing companies in the storming industry, but there are a lot of reputable companies too. The problem is not the industry as a whole but the new start up company’s that most likely don’t have the capital to operate in a high volume storm. Service writers are responsible for part of the problem for buying into there claims of unlimited leads, higher pay, and less work.

First off I would be very careful and do your homework before you file a lien on a property. The states that we work in have no protection for the service writer. This could very well lead to you having a slander of title law suit brought against you.

My advise would have a work for hire contract with the company that you work for. Make sure the contract clearly lines out how, and how much you should be paid on each job. List of job duties and responsibility’s to be performed by the service writer. If your prospective company does not have a work for hire contract, they are not a contractor.

Second: Keep you own records of each job. Contract price, job start date, job collection date, commission paid date. This can be easily compiled in an excel work sheet.

If you have a work for hire contract and the company you work for breaches the terms of your contract. Simply sue them in small claims for a small filing fee. If your records are detailed in manner and you have completed the duty’s outlined in your contract you will prevail. B)

October 21, 2009 at 7:08 p.m.

Old School

If it sounds too good to be true...It probably is!

October 21, 2009 at 6:53 p.m.

OLE Willie

Sorry to hear of your fate. But if your gonna work for storm chasers who come and go in the blink of an eye at the end, then you have to know and understand , in the beginning, that the scenario you describe has a high likelyhood of occuring when they are ready to leave. They also leave all the homeowners without a warranty which leads to out of pocket money for them to hire a "real" roofing company to fix these fly by nights work after they are long gone to the next hail storm. To sum it up, my advice for you is settle down in or near a fairly decent sized town somewhere and find a good local company to work for. You probably wont be able to get as much money per sale, but then again whatever amount is agreed to , contrary to the storm chaser odds, there is a high likelyhood that you will get paid every dime!

October 21, 2009 at 4:24 p.m.

tico

work for A roofing company.not A roofing conglomerate that sells jobs and then subs work. you should try looking for the true local company.apparently you've jumped on with A company that chases storms.says they are national/local yet when the bigger better rolls out they roll up. hustling the GM to the storm,swearing they are local and they are there to help the homeowner. they are there to help themselves to the homeowners money and their ins. co.s money.and along the way if they can suck yours out of you they will.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CC-Season5-UnlockingEfficiency-July11-Banner-Watch
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo