User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Right size crew?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Mike M.

Vaa, We do a lot of between 18 to 34 square tear off and replace, shingle roofs. we are the laborers , carpenters, ROOFERS, and clean-up crew. Half the time jod is two or more layers existing, all the time, at least some sheathing replacement, or all new sheathing. Half our jobs steep , , cut up, etc. Always some porches, or bay windows, or carport, garage, etc. besides the main roof., so seven works good for us, always something for everyone to do. We did a 43 square , two layer tear off the other day, off , dried in , shingled , ridge vent, clean-up and gone, in nine hours., we like to do at least a roof, complete a day, as we always have a full schedule, and like I said , we start early, and if it's going to 92 degrees, with 100% humidity, we normally can be done and gone before the afternoon heat really builds, and I will pay eight hours for anyhing over six hours, so no one loses. By the way , tons of sweat.>>>

August 7, 2009 at 12:02 a.m.

Robby the Roofer

When I was a laborer/dump driver we had a foreman and the #2 man. It really did not matter what roof we did or pitch...we either had it tore off and shingled in one day or tore off one day and shingle the next. for several months we averaged 4 roofs completed a week. How was this done? Great shinglers and a "superman" for a laborer. If the shinglers had to pack trash...I was fired. If the foreman had to fetch one shingle...I was fired. Once the tear off and felt was completed, the shinglers left me to clean up the ground (that was punishment as I did not finish with them). Once the last shingle was installed, the shinglers packed up and went home...and left me to clean up the scrapes (that was punishment as I did not finish with them).

Looking back after all these years, I could not find another crew that could match the production level that we accomplished with only three guys !!!

Oh! In my 6 months working for them, I can only recall 4 times they left me hanging. I burned a lot of sweat, lost a lot of wieght and remember a great experience!>>>

August 6, 2009 at 11:20 p.m.

egg

Not picking a fight or anything, but I don't consider things running efficiently unless everybody does break a sweat. At least that's how I've always viewed it. If we don't break a sweat there's no way for us to stay healthy. No pain/no gain.>>>

August 6, 2009 at 7:34 p.m.

roofrite

I have tried different amount of guys also. I agree seven even guys is about the best number for an average to semi cut up roof. Overall seven guys who get in the groove and become auotmatic at attacking a job can be super efficeint and detailed oriented without breaking a sweat.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Commercial Distribution Specilaists
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad