User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Repairing what competitors fixed!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

OLE Willie

We had already sold and repaired a couple of leaks this week where the customer said they had 3 companys out already but no one had fixed the problem. Again this morning i got a call from a guy who had a familiar sounding name. Upon arriving at his home i immediately remembered having given him an estimate for a total reroof. Well, the roof was new but not done buy our company. He had hired the cheap bid to do the roof only about 6 months ago and could not get them to answer their phone or return any calls. About 20 feet of ridge caps had blown off of one hip in like a 35 mph. wind we had the other night. lol Upon inspection i noticed all the nails on the ridges and the rest of the roof as well had been shot in at an angle with nail guns and embedded into the shingles as well. I gave him one of our refrigerator magnet cards and told him to be sure and keep it handy as this is most likely going to be a recurring event. lol The job is secure! lol

January 2, 2010 at 3:17 p.m.

robert

Go get them glenn!

January 2, 2010 at 12:44 p.m.

Roofsrus1

During the last fifteen years here in Oregon-there were lots of newer housing developments that have been built. Lots of these homes which have been sold at a price that was extravagant but were for all purposes built as cheaply and as quickly as humanly possible by broker general contractors who used the cheapest labor possible. Thus, many of the homes have roofs that leak from day one or will leak within the first three to five years. This niche market is one in which my firm is going to make oodles of money in the next two years. Why do I say two years--it is because we are going to go out quite forcefully and advertise, market our efforts not only to the homeowners but also to those banks who have had to foreclose and take them back. There is quite a bit of work that lending institutions are going to have done before they can sell the homes again. G. Livingston Const. LLC-"Roofs 'R' Us!" Stm. is going to be there to get the work and do it. And we are going to love it in each and every situation be it dealing with the homeowner, real estate broker, or banking/lending institution.

December 27, 2009 at 10:08 p.m.

fayetteroofing

"Upon inspection i noticed all the nails on the ridges and the rest of the roof as well had been shot in at an angle with nail guns and embedded into the shingles as well. "

I don't understand what the roofers did wrong... Would someone provide clarity?

December 18, 2009 at 10:15 a.m.

JET

Old School Said: What a shame. Not done right in the first place and then asking the insurance company to do it right the second time. Why not hold the feet of the Jacks to the fire and run them out of business! Oh, I get it, they are not in business to start with.

That's what we all pay premiums for. A wind storm (and possible roof damage that results from it) is a definite reason to have the insurance company take a look. JMO........

JET

December 18, 2009 at 7:02 a.m.

Old School

What a shame. Not done right in the first place and then asking the insurance company to do it right the second time. Why not hold the feet of the "Jacks" to the fire and run them out of business! Oh, I get it, they are not "in" business to start with.

December 14, 2009 at 10:12 a.m.

JET

Old School Said: Guaranteed work for the future.

I dunno, could be just the opposite depending on what is finally spent to "really" fix this customer's roof (which we all know should be totally re-done the right way). I think I would have gotten him on his roof and showed him all the problems. In lieu of that I would take good photos and send them to him. Think I would also advise him to contact his homeowner's insurance and get an adjuster out. Depending on the weather that happened they might spring for a re-roof.

JET

December 13, 2009 at 3:48 p.m.

Old School

They will stick together and slide in bunches!

December 12, 2009 at 10:43 p.m.

OLE Willie

Well, he said he wished he had hired us becuase we are the local company nearest to his home and that we were very professional about every aspect BUT the temptation of the cheap price was too much for him. He said it has been a lesson learned. I didn't really like the scenario but hey i made a few hundered bucks off it. Why not. Someone was going to get the repair. Who knows how many more times shingles will blow off and we will get paid again. Eventually i expect nail heads that are in sideways to come through the shingles and cause small leaks also. Even though i didnt like it, I just sucked it up and told him i have had my share of bad hires over the years as well and i understand. Mike, I dont think these type homeowners are dumb. They are "ignorant" for sure however, when it comes to hiring for service. They make the grave error of assuming everyone and everything is the same. Probably becuase they dont know how to tell the difference in addition to the lower price temptation. Sad thing is we roofed BOTH of his neighbors houses to the left of his property just before he requested a quote for his own roof. :blink:

December 12, 2009 at 5:04 p.m.

Old School

Guaranteed work for the future.

December 12, 2009 at 1:51 p.m.

robert

I thinks it takes balls the size of coconuts to call someone to fix the work of the jacklegg they went with after getting bids from you.

December 12, 2009 at 9:48 a.m.

Old School

We still use staple guns, and that is one of the biggest reasons. You see tons of that all over. Most people are making so little shingling that they don't take the time to do it right. They speed across the shingle with the gun and shoot it whereever it happens to land, and at whatever angle. sheesh!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WSRCA - Banner - Western Roofing Expo 2024
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad