Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
Mule-Hide - Sidebar Ad - Warranty Portal
VaproShield - Sidebar - SlopeShield - Aug
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Regardless, .....LOL

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Ed The Roofer

Due to an astute members attention to grammar, what are the words that irk you when you see them in type?

I allow nearly all of them to skate by unnoticed, due to quick typing, or would that be keying, oh, heck, it could even be a text from a Black-Berry now-a-days, but once in a while, the lack of any consistency of the proper usage of the English Language does get noted.

So, what are the most commonly misspelled or misused words you see on a regular basis and do they bother you?

Do you think that internet spelling and grammar says anything about the person behind the keyboard?

This most definitely is NOT any type of critique at any members verbal usage and skills, but just an afterthought due to a comment made in another thread topic.

Ed>>>

April 17, 2009 at 4:36 p.m.

Peter1

Aww come on Jed You know what I mean ;)

There are times when a tad of implied profanity can save typing a whole A4 page trying to explain your position on a certain topic, hence Avoid not a Total Ban :woohoo:

>>>

April 16, 2009 at 8:29 p.m.

Dr.ROOF

Great topic! LOL Most of the time I just consider that people are in a bit of a hurry to get their thoughts out. Exact grammatical composition is not really required as long as the direct meaning is not lost.

However, when people take a condescending attitude and talk down to you, the least they can do is be grammatically correct. Case in point. For a few years, I have listened a certain member take "umbridge" with this or "umbridge" with that. I never bothered to call him on it, because I rather enjoyed him trying to show us all how intelligent he is. Now that a topic has been created for this exact purpose, it is a perfect time to point out that the word is UMBRAGE. I doubt he will read this as he is likely too busy googling his own name. Since I didn't mention his name this post won't show up in his search.

B)>>>

April 16, 2009 at 8:26 p.m.

Mike H

It does rub me a we bit when I make me a halfhearted effort to write some sort of Irish jig on the "Welcome..." post to me long lost friend, and he don't even go so far as to call me a total flop. LOL>>>

April 16, 2009 at 7:17 p.m.

Peter1

Hi,

Yep what the Kiwi said LOL

Dang Americans going all fancy, who is the genius who decided to change the S to Z ? (Authorized, Citisen etc) :)

The dumb Hick ROFLMAO what a great start Mike would get in any discussion on running a roofing business if he could get his opposition to think that's what he is :)

egg nailing shingles on crooked LOL

My first disagreement on the RCS was with twill over my spelling :) I thought I would be banned over the way I replied to him.

I think if people try to complete their sentences, avoid profanity and explain what they said to people who ask for clarification they are OK in my book.

>>>

April 16, 2009 at 1:54 p.m.

Mike H

Never have taken the time to learn the proper spelling for whorederve.>>>

April 16, 2009 at 1:51 p.m.

Mike H

There're ???? Now that's one I don't ever remember seeing.

Being a conversational environment, I don't tend to get too worried about use of words like "to-too" or there-their-they're. I have been amazed at my own use of the various forms of there, as if they are completely interchangeable. I type fairly fast, and in this environment, tend to type just like I am thinking/talking..................... ie: almost always droppin' the "g" on stuff, etc.

No biggie. But now that I know I gotsta iffin egg's gonna take me serious Im gonna make furshur that I use there everywhere their appropriate, for fear they're gonna be ignored. ;)>>>

April 15, 2009 at 12:37 p.m.

Mike H

I really hate's it when some oxford genious tries to make me feel stupid justs becuz he thinks its, or is it it's, his duty.

Nah, I was trying to make something good in reply, but its a waste of everyones time. LOL at myself.

That was pretty good Mis'.>>>

April 15, 2009 at 9:26 a.m.

Miscreant

Some smarty pants over at Oggsferd put this together:

`It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's, not its, if you mean it is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's. It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.'' -- Oxford University Press, Edpress News

. >>>

April 15, 2009 at 9:24 a.m.

Miscreant

I doubly don't like irregardless because it's usually used in a condescending tone as if it was the contraction of "irrelevant" and "regardless". It is somewhat offset by the joy I get from seeing stupid people being condescending.

I'm noticing many cliches getting butchered. One that comes to mind is, "You have anotherthing coming", when it should be think. If someone said this to me in person, I would say, "What thing is that?"

In the end, I think it's important to separate the message from the way it's presented. That applies to both poorly said and well stated ones. Some of the most eloquent statements I've read or heard distilled down to, "We're gonna screw u good and hard."

.>>>

April 15, 2009 at 12:18 a.m.

Ed The Roofer

Same goes for me regarding an OP.

If they are not prepared to ask a question in a well formatted manner to get their point across, how much will any advice actually do them?

Lots of DIY posts that are so short and meaningless, that they may have been better off saving their finger tips from typing in the question. Then, after 10 posters respond, they still have not gotten back to resolve the unknowns.

Such as:

Whats the best material for my roof?

Or

I just had a new roof put on and I can't find where it is leaking from.

DUH!!!

Some people deserve what they get, or reap what they sow.

Ed>>>

April 15, 2009 at 12:10 a.m.

egg

Even though I've watched upstand creep into my vocabulary, I still haven't fallen off the turn-up wagon. I think anymore around here it's just obscured as merely one aspect or component of what goes by the term 'base flashing.' Oh, boy... now I'm going to get twitchy if I give that too much thought. I vastly prefer 'upstand' to where my mind was getting suctioned off to.

Back to the subject at hand, I read pretty much everything with interest, but if the poster doesn't care enough to clean up the post, make sure all the words are actually there and everything sitting up straight, how seriously can I take it? I mean, if it's slapdash and careless, what likelihood is there that is has any real value? If someone tries to sell me a Rolls Royce that's all dinged up and covered with duct tape and patches of body primer, I might think it is actually a great car underneath it all, but it's not going to make me pump my fist in the air.>>>

April 14, 2009 at 11:59 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

Mike H Said: Its funny how habit and dialect are so hard to overcome. If only I could speak like I can write, I might even fool the people that know me.

That is so true.

Even when I am half asleep, I can type pretty decent content, but get me talking when I am exhausted and I sound like a punch drunk fighter.

Ed>>>

April 14, 2009 at 11:35 p.m.

Mike H

It's funny how habit and dialect are so hard to overcome. If only I could speak like I can write, I might even fool the people that know me.>>>

April 14, 2009 at 11:03 p.m.

egg

Yeah, but for a first-rate stand-up guy with a ton of knowledge and a kind of unerring and sophisticated sense of what's up (except for some of your voting practices) I'm calling you out on your hick-ness. You are but you aint. I got my briar patch too. No big deal. If you want to just look like some dumb hick you better stop writing so well as soon as possible.>>>

April 14, 2009 at 10:56 p.m.

Mike H

Tanking is the word that really chaps my arse. LOL

Honestly, aside from then and than, not much.

I laugh at my own typing skills more than anything. I frequently leave off the "R" when typing "YOUR", and since I never proof anything before hitting "save", I just look like some dumb hick.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

IB Roof - Banner - RLW Watch - Myths Vs. Reality
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Leap - Sidebar - Truck Wrap - Aug
USG - Sidebar - Wind