User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

"Reflective Coating for Shingles".........

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

JET

Had a story on Channel 9 about a "roofing" company who got paid by one of the local power companies to coat over 600 shingle roofs in a nearby county. Now the homeowners are finding that wasn't such a good idea and are replacing roofs right and left. Needless to say the power company is not their friend now, regardless of this "energy saving" product. Anyway, the investigative reporter snags the company owner (woman) while she's coming onto her porch with groceries in her arms. He starts gettin' on her case and she snaps........says the whole matter has been investigated and that the homeowners are just gettin' ripped off by a bunch of roofers who want to install a new roof. She says SHE is the victim here :ohmy: :ohmy:

So.......I contact the power company in question (three different reps actually) and try to get an inside track on the story. Only one of them actually calls me back, the other two just email me that they're not taking on any independent contractors until at least May. So "Jose" calls me (all their reps have Mesican names) and we get right to it. I ask him if he actually saw the story on TV but he evades the question. I tell him I'd like to help the company out with a solution to their problem because the reporter said some homeowners already hired lawyers :huh: :huh: Y'all know how I feel about the legal trade right now, I'll do anything to screw over a lawyer :) :)

"Jose" is playing his cards close and won't give up anything. Says they only pay the "independent contractor" involved a set square foot price for the improvement, in other words he admits that the power company paid to have these shingles coated which is what I wanted to hear. I tell him I can help them out as we do a lot of work in this part of the state and are well known for our roof systems. He won't budge, tells me I have to wait until May to apply for contractor status. I tell him we're already approved contractors for the largest power company in Florida (Progress Energy) and are on approved lists of other companies also. No way Jose......he won't give it up. So now I'm going over to interview some of the homeowners affected by this little scam. Channel 9 was nice enough to furnish names and locations in their story. I'll keep you posted.........should be interesting.

JET

January 16, 2010 at 9:52 a.m.

Old School

A lot of the fast food restaunts (Mc Donalds and BK) will "remodel" their stores with a new color on the roof. Around here anyway. A bright blue laminated shingle looks wierd! Since they tear them all of every 7-9 years anyway, I guess it doesn't make any difference. Some kind of polymer I suppose. A "miracle" in a can.

January 15, 2010 at 11:55 a.m.

JET

lanny Said: ---What kind of coating is it? I have never heard of coating a shingle roof. It already comes with granulated coating. I cant imagine a coating that wouldnt look like %$#@. Lanny

The video they showed of one roof looked like a Lowe's (silver) coating, it was prolly white when they put it down. Looked like a Lowe's special to me.

JET

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

METALCON - Banner - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad