User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Rates ??????

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Martin

Can somebody tell me, how much is the hourly rate in Main for roofing ? More then 20 years roofing experiance

March 28, 2010 at 4:30 p.m.

kage

:unsure: ookkayyyy

March 28, 2010 at 11:34 a.m.

tico

kage Said: So tico your saying a shingler is not a roofer?...but a flat guy is?? LOL,ive done both and all i can say is shingling is alot harder then flat...what is it with flat guys and there high horses?..LOL
it isn't about hard. misconstrude the jist if you must. what the temper of what the thread is about is qualifications and abilities. shingling is shingling.very limited in what it entails. I worked for onea them storm chasin co.s.and their shingle crews barely toted the note as shinglers. like when I did carpentry.I had trimmed,sided,framed and the homes were stick built,you knew how to cut and install any type of trim.crown chair,stairs and so on. I move back to FL.and go to A job,the contractor tells me he's got carpenters and I don't need to bring my helper.we,I get to the job and start to just measure the trim,set up the bench and tell the "carpenter" to grab the chop box,he looks at me funny,I say,ok radial mitre,still the look,so I get it.then I tell him to get the coping saw,the stare.where then pray tell is the line? it wasn't A put down.as A roofer that does flat and shingle and fires up the kettle, and then you run an add for A roofer,will you put an unseasoned person on the kettle,or doing A foremans take off? i've seen to many shinglers that'll tell you where to shove your commercial job.kinda funny,my idea of the distinction of A shingler vs. A roofer was from A friend in Shallotte NC.Farron Black, Blacks roofing,he said it and it was then it hit,"I'm A shingler,not A roofer. it was ingrained in me way back,A roofer knows the trade.not A specific aspect. shame on me for listening and learning A trade.shingling just did't seem like A trade.theirs not much that is/was hard about it.when your schooled on residential pea gravel tear offs,and tile tear off,or the 30,000 sq ft. commercial that you gotta tote and barrow for miles. I never worked as hard on A shingle roof as I did any other. it's times like this when I'm happy as A prest in boys town when folks complan about the help hey get.

March 28, 2010 at 10:23 a.m.

kage

So tico your saying a shingler is not a roofer?...but a flat guy is?? LOL,i've done both and all i can say is shingling is alot harder then flat...what is it with flat guys and there high horses?..LOL

March 28, 2010 at 8:47 a.m.

tico

laborer pay is higher scale than A roofer?

March 28, 2010 at 8:27 a.m.

TomB

Maine Dept. of labor....Roofer....$ 17.11; Laborer....$ 17.46

March 25, 2010 at 4:17 p.m.

tico

2ndgen

you stated what my paralell was/is.yes,I've felted 12" laps on batten for shakes.I'm from S.Fl.look around west palm beach where there's complete communities that are slpit shakes and perfects/selects.I've set monier,spanish s,barrel and flat tile.to battens,nailed on.mudded tile, and not foamed.yet,again as you've stated transition is the key. having the experience in S.fl,were I A young buck we could work side by side and not miss A beat. my point is,and you made it.A roofer is transitional.they,res,alot of shinglers don't have what we have.thats experience and the ability to adapt. as for slate.no exp.doin it,yet,were you to give me A 15 min. run down,"heres what you do to cut,here's how we measure,lap,overlap,we walk on it like A flat tile,or whichever way. when you tell someone thats done 4-5 different tiles or shake don't you think you'll get positive results seeins as they've got tools in their repitoire of qualifications? way to many tmes I hear folks say roofer and I wonder what they'd do if the kettle tender dropped dead and they had to run the keg.I haven't run A kettle in YEARS,yet I'm gonna check my lines,check my burners,I'm gonna set my area up,have an axe station,and I know already to hide the axe when I'm not usin it.an axe an A bad temper,i've also seen them results.

March 25, 2010 at 1:34 p.m.

2ndgen

Slaters in NY "start" at $50./hour.

:)

March 25, 2010 at 1:31 p.m.

2ndgen

Speaking as someone who's been "raised" in the trade, I have to disagree. A real Roofer isn't one that knows every single system.

A REAL Roofer is a Roofer that you can put on any system and he'll be doing mechanical work by the end of the day.

One has to take regions in consideration thinking about what makes a real Roofer.

Arizona is mostly tile work and flat work. I wouldn't deny them being Roofers because they don't know how to do slate work.

Tico, are you a good slater? How are you shake skills?

It's all relative. It's now what you know alone, but "how" you work.

I've been able to work across the country on several systems. What makes me a "real" Roofer is that I can adapt to any system. I have over a quarter of a century of experience and have been going up on roofs since I was 5 years old.

There are Roofers out there who may have far more experience on different types of systems and who've only been 10 years in the trade.

However, I've worked with guys who've worked on more systems than me and have earned their ire by my being able to do what they do by the end of the day (what took them years to master). And, in a lot of cases, I've done it better.

A "real" Roofer will get tossed up on a roof and knock it out. Period. Even if he's never seen that system in his life. I got tossed up on a roof laying down 20' rolls of Carlisle. My first time. There were (2) 3 year apprentices there who've been working on that system from day one.

Within an hour, those two 3 year veterans of this system were my "helpers". The Journeyman on the job left me alone and told those two to do whatever I told them. At first, they were pissed, but by the end of the day, we produced so much, we got off early and got the full day's pay.

Again, it's all relative.

I began working with 16oz claw hammers, a roofing knife and a cloth apron. Today, I rock & roll with guns, a $300. custom leather tool belt and the best tools money can buy. But I am the same kid that my old man took up that just turned 14 a couple of months before and who worked every single day (Sunday-Saturday) every summer throughout High School and every day off during the school year.

By 19 years old, I had my own company. By 22, I had 2 full time crews going out daily (all being twice my age).

A "real" Roofer is the sum of his craftsmanship. I could've been a Carpenter or a Plumber or a Lawyer and I would've been good. It's not a man's skill that makes him "real" at anything, but his work ethic and his character.

My 2 pennies.

March 24, 2010 at 12:06 p.m.

tico

the best roofers are the ones that grew up in the trade.they can listen,or read whats goin on andrelate a solution. the thing thats become prevalent is that shinglers call themselves roofers.and they're not they shingle,and go home.never kicked 90, ran A kettle,slung A mop, spudded up A repair,let alone find it,never re-set eqpt.,cut in skuppers or drains on 20,000 sq.foot swimming pools, and shame on those that call them roofers. Lanny,if I'm right this is the guy thats premiere old country cut an raised on slate,tile and copper. he's asked before for help locating or partnering with someone.his talent would be better suited to A more northern environment.whee his craftmanship could be used. and good on your son.thats how I was raised.I knew alot more than most by 14 from roofing S. Dade county.flat commercial,tile and pea gravel residential.I grew up in the transition to shingle.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices