User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Quandary

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

egg

So long as I keep it simple, it is neither above nor beneath my dignity to ask myself why I would choose one place over all possible other places in the world to travel to. I've been around a little bit. I've been in the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel tower, the Grand Canyon, Knots Berry Farm, Disneyland, the Cumberland Gap, Gettysburg, the Space Needle, Yosemite, the top of Mt. Shasta and Whitney. I've been to Nepal and trekked to Everest base camp, swapped gifts with Sherpas, had my car rocked by angry striking rickshaw drivers in Dacca. Walked in the wagon ruts in the prairie of Wyoming, retraced the battle of the Little Bighorn. Gone down the Colorado in a raft. Lots of places. Just a drop in the bucket really, though, like one hundredth of one per cent of what I would like to see, what I truly hunger to see. Victoria Falls, for instance. The pyramids. The remote places in the British Isles. But if I were to choose one single place above all the others and that place were Everest base camp, I would like to think that before I went to the trouble of going there, even before I went to the trouble of singling it out as a place to dream of going, I would realize that you don't climb to base camp. You walk there. Is dreaming about a place merely turning it into an abstraction like the Emerald City of Oz or is it the first step in taking you out of a small world into a bigger one and turning fantasy into reality?>>>

May 28, 2009 at 3:25 p.m.

pgriz

When you plan things, you can get lost in more interesting places than if you didn't. Besides, I get distracted easily and find myself in any number of rabbitholes and alleys. ;)>>>

May 27, 2009 at 6:13 p.m.

hatrick

I haven't been anywhere compared to most of you, but I never have planned where I am going or why or what I'll do when I get there. I like settling in in an ordinary setting rather than the tourist traps.I want to feel what it's like to live somewhere. Get a true taste for an area. My wife is exactly the opposite. She wants everyday planned out within a few hours. An entire Itinerary. I just want to wake and see what I feel like doing. I've read every Stienbeke writing. Even the notes from the war and the writings he did for a newspaper. It's to bad he can't write anymore. But eventually I won't either.>>>

May 22, 2009 at 10:51 p.m.

egg

That's a good plan o' atack. That ere wind always picks up eventually and a quandry ain't no match fer a good sail and a bucket o' jack. Never will be neither.>>>

May 21, 2009 at 10:48 a.m.

Jack-Legge

Ole jack had a quandarary er two in his life ther , he has. it hurt me head so much that we gave up on'em, n aint touched em since ther , we aint.>>>

May 15, 2009 at 7:30 a.m.

wywoody

My first flight was at about age 10. Portland to Medford, a distance of about 300 miles, it had three stops on the way. Things were different then.>>>

May 13, 2009 at 1:45 a.m.

egg

Wish I could take away that loss for you. It comes too soon and we're never ready. My wife and I celebrated 37 years together recently. We both know one of us will have to face that eventually. We both know it is going to hurt beyond hurt. We are doing what you recommend to the best of our abilities. If it doesn't soften the blow, at least it will help now.>>>

May 12, 2009 at 10:25 a.m.

elcid

Just returned from visiting daughter and grandchildren in L.A. Revisited LaJolla, Torrey Pines,Coronado,Santa Barbara, and Hearst Castle, that I enjoyed so much w/ my late wife. Unfortunately, nothing remains the same particularly an original infatuation of faraway places. Cherish and forever capture the moments, that you may share your lifetime journeys w/ a loved one.>>>

May 12, 2009 at 2:03 a.m.

egg

PC, my travels don't amount to much really. I'm often a bit jumpy when traveling and it takes a bit of doing to settle into it when I do travel so that I can actually take it in. The faster you travel, the less bonding with a place there is. I like to see the sights, but I'm not much of a sightseer if you know what I mean. In a place like New York or Paris or Kathmandu, there is so much big stuff to see you can go that sightseeing route and it's ok but striking a balance between skimming and getting stuck is always a challenge.

Miscreant, I read that book in 1965 and probably didn't laugh as heartily until I ran into Gary Larsen and Calvin and Hobbes, but I had forgotten all about that deeper side of Steinbeck. I never quite got over The Pearl which I read a year later, so I passed on Cannery Row. A lot of people in the longhair world viewed him as a lightweight when compared to, say, Hemmingway (lol) and I have a sneaking hunch that at 18 I allowed myself to be unduly influenced by some peer pressure (though not always) At least I now know he's waiting there for me to return to.

I agree with Sid, too, but like him I suspect, despite the inherent sadness that goes along with that notion, there is no accompanying morbidity. It just is, and it tends to keep us from wandering around in random aimless circles. There is a time value on options and warrants to purchase stock and life is a warrant. You can't glue it upside down inside a drawer and expect it to draw interest for two hundred years until you redeem it and become rich.>>>

May 11, 2009 at 2:26 p.m.

Jed

Iv'e never read Jenkins but do enjoy Bill Bryson's work, whom I suspect is not dis-similar.>>>

May 11, 2009 at 2:17 p.m.

CIAK

Read quotes from Hafiz of. Awesome>>>

May 11, 2009 at 10:32 a.m.

elcid

I am truly impressed w/ the philosophical contributions described above. College professors could not have articulated any better, and I am proud to be in such company. To summarize the above, I believe the following captures the theme - "Life is a journey and death a destination".>>>

May 11, 2009 at 7:57 a.m.

Mike H

If you're a Traveller Without a Plan, and have never read Peter Jenkin's "Walk Across America" and "The Walk West", I cannot encourage them strongly enough.

You cerebral's never take long to climb over my head, but when I head somewhere, it's never with a plan. Once I get there, I want to do everything. I admit to often loosing much of the wonder contained in the journey out of anxiety for the destination. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed these books so thoroughly. The destination was to soak his toes in the Pacific, but it was just a closing sip of champaign to finish of a truly savory meal.>>>

May 10, 2009 at 6:36 p.m.

pgriz

Each voyage is travelled three times. The first, when you prepare and read and learn about the place you mean to go. The second, by doing it. The third, by remembering it, discovering new perspectives and vistas that were unknown on the first, and barely registered on the second.

But if we are fortunate to see the world anew, without habit or preconceptions, then a trip to the grocery store is as full of wonder as to a ancient palace hidden in the jungle. That is what travel to a different place does to us - very thing is new, everything is a feast for the senses. And we see with wonder, because we are not filtering out the usual, the common, the routine. Familiarity breeds blindness, if not contempt. So the first step of the journey, is to put aside what we think we know, and see with the eyes of a newly-born babe, perceptions unencumbered by experience or expectation. Then every voyage we make will be one of discovery and wonder, and a delight to the senses and to the mind.>>>

May 10, 2009 at 6:23 p.m.

CIAK

egg I read your topic as more of a thought and desire and even possibly projection . I have thought that if desire is suppressed it would as in Steinbeck to suppress it. As Steinbeck I don't believe we can conclude that suppressed desire is no longer a desire. Is a subconscious mind directing the universe to it's desire.>>>

May 10, 2009 at 3:00 p.m.

Miscreant

Thanks EGG. This thread reminded me of a favorite piece of writing that you probably all have read before, but it seemed good enough to read again:

"When I was very young and the urge to be someplace else was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. Four hoarse blasts of a ship's whistle still raise the hair on my neck and set my feet to tapping. The sound of a jet, an engine warming up, even the clopping of shod hooves on pavement brings on the ancient shudder, the dry mouth and vacant eye, the hot palms and the churn of stomach high up under the rib cage. In other words, I don't improve; in further words, once a bum always a bum. I fear the disease is incurable. I set this matter down not to instruct other but to inform myself.

When the virus of restlessness begins to take possesion of a wayward man, and the road away from Here seems broad and straight and sweet, the victim must first find in himself a good and sufficient reason for going. This to the practical bum is not difficult. He has a built-in garden of reasons to choose from. Next he must plan his trip in time and space, choose a direction and a destination. And last he must implement the journey. How to go, what to take, how long to stay. This part of the process is invariable and immortal. I set it down only so that newcomers to bumdom, like teen-agers in new-hatched sin, will not think they invented it.

Once a journey is designed, equipped, and put in process, a new factor enters and takes over. A trip, a safari, an exploration, is an entity, different from all other journeys. It has personality, temperament, individuality, uniqueness. A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. Tour masters, schedules, reservations, brass-bound and inevitable, dash themselves to wreckage on the personality of the trip. Only when this is recognized can the blown-in-the-glass bum relax and go along with it. Only then do the frustrations fall away. In this a journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it. I feel better now, having said this, although only those who have experienced it will understand it."

- John Steinbeck, Page 1, Travels with Charley In Search of America

.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WSCRA - Banner - RCS Ticket Giveaway
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
USG - Sidebar - Wind