User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Pros and Cons of running my own gutter......

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RandyB1986

I am thinking about buying a 6" seamless gutter machine. I have about 4-5 roof and gutter jobs coming up and I usually sub gutters. Been thinking it may be a good time to buy a machine and let it pay for itself. Any of you ever ventured into hanging your own gutters? How did it work for you? Has the gutter work outgrown the roofing work?

I think I could get more gutter jobs then roofing jobs.......seems like every jack legg can lay a shingle, but not all of them own a gutter machine.

What say ye old timers?

Thanks!

April 8, 2010 at 8:15 p.m.

The FNRUFR

We have our own 5/6" gutters are part of our roof systems but like other residential trades and services some guys just give it away.

April 8, 2010 at 7:16 a.m.

robert

I bought a 6 in knudsen at auction 8 years ago paid 2500 for a new machine,we use it when we sell gutters with a roof.So it has been good to have around,it always gives you an edge and gutters are not hard to install.

April 7, 2010 at 10:08 p.m.

kage

I've been thinkin on gettin one,3 out of 4 jobs H/O is askin if i do gutters,gutter guys around here dont do the chop and drop,(i think there greedy :)So i'm lookin and checkin rite now,I think when i buy it will be a new one not used,..see how it goes,i use to hang them yrs ago,like ridin a bike.. ;)

April 7, 2010 at 9:46 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

"Guppy" is right, you will need an enclosed box truck (preferably). If your going to stock any coils, probably stock gloss white and musket brown (popular colors) and order other colors as needed (provided you give lead time until the next job). I would also consider hiring and experience gutter man, if your not sure of your own qualifications. Gutters are a two man job, you can shag one of your labors and send him with your gutter guy to keep him working. His main job will be cutting and installing downspouts anyways and assist with gutters.

And I don't see a problem with using 6" gutters on residential, A lot of customers complain they can't clean the 5 inchers any how.

Just some thoughts!

April 7, 2010 at 8:41 p.m.

guppy

You should really have a dedicated vehicle to keep the machine in, you do not want to be piling shingles on top of it. you need to factor the cost of a van or at least an enclosed trailer. also have to carry a large inventory of gutter coils, accessory's, in different colours. unless you are doing a lot of jobs, and running and maintaining the machine yourself, I would stick with the chop and drop service.

April 7, 2010 at 8:03 p.m.

Old School

Have you ever used a "chop and drop" service? None of the hassles as far as keeping the machine working and they just cut them to length on the jobsite for you.

I am starting that in Kalamazoo, with a half round machine, but I know that some of the companies do that with the K style gutter. The only thing is that I am not going to install, so I won't be completing with anyone else.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MRCA - Banner - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising