User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

polyurethane foam

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

kevbarfie@aol.com

I have a roof that resembles the surface of the moon.Can you coat this?Is there a membrane application that i can offer a warranty?can you smooth the surface first..there is alot of blistering and bubbling

December 19, 2009 at 9:41 a.m.

Jed

You say:- "Is there a membrane application that i can offer a warranty?" Are you a roofing contractor or a customer?

If you are a contractor then you should refer it to a firm that is familiar with SPF because being unfamiliar with it you will be wasting your time and the clients money. A SPF roof that has not suffered too much UV degredation can be repaired. Blisters can be removed, scarfed new foam applied if necessary pressure washed and re-coated. The fact that your roof "resembles the surface of the moon" does'nt mean it's shot, it likely means the applicator/s applied it when there was too much moisture present (rain/dewpoint).

Yes it is possible to "fix" the roof, it's also entirely probable that it isn't. Key to your question is What is a cost effective solution. Where are you located? How old is the roof? How big is it? Have any of the blisters broken open? Pics would help.

December 18, 2009 at 9:19 p.m.

Mike H

Do you see yellow foam, or is the current coating intact?

December 18, 2009 at 6:17 p.m.

Old School

Kev, if it is all bubbled and blistered, coating is going to be a waste of money. If it is not adhered to the original surface, wht makes you think it will stay adhered once you put a coating over it? As far as going over it with a one ply and smoothing it out, good luck. you will find that in places it will be loose and come right off, but in others it will take a ton of time and effort to break it free. I have never been sucessful in "Leveling" off a sprayed urethane roof.

It might be easier to strip off the roof including the original roof beneath to see what the deck looks like and to get a clean surface. That is what the "big contractors" would do. good luck!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS Roof Hub - Banner Ad - Spring 2024
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad