English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Poly as underlayment.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

rerod

I figured that might get your attention, but click the safety back on because I'm talking about temporary underlayment.. 

I need to see through this temporary underlayment to measure from the existing sheathing seams to locate and install new framing for 24" overhangs etc..  Once the new framing is installed over the poly, the underlayment will be removed and new sheathing and roofing installed over the framing.

Or does anyone have a better solution?  How would you secure the poly for a month in a windy location?  The disadvantage I see is how slippery poly could become if wet on 3:12, but did find something called Dura Skrim 10mil string reinforced clear UV stabilized plastic sheeting that's strong and textured with the strings..

Thanks

July 12, 2024 at 5:47 a.m.

rerod

Thanks.  Im using a bill board tarp or two because I can mark all the trusses.. 

Will have to use a SA anyway.  But before I can start I need to repair a load bearing wall..

July 11, 2024 at 2:30 a.m.

spritneybrown33

To use Dura Skrim 10mil string reinforced clear UV stabilized plastic sheeting as temporary underlayment, secure it with roofing nails or staples and weigh it down with sandbags in windy conditions. Its clear nature allows you to see through to the existing sheathing seams for precise measurement and new framing installation. Ensure safety by using non-slip shoes and possibly safety harnesses due to its potential slipperiness when wet. 

May 24, 2024 at 6:12 p.m.

rerod

Ive figured out a way of marking each truss to locate them after covered with underlayment.

What type of underlayment would be best for a couple of months of windy exposure since Im working alone?  I also want to be able to patch the underlayment with roofing cement so figured 30 lb felt.  Heard good things about Deck Armor and like the lines, which is also permeable but wasnt sure if roofing cement is compatable.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tremco - Baner Ad - Safety First: Tremco
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey