User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Picture of Double Coverage Roofing and a Repair On It.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Lefty1

Old School Said: Lefty, you have to admit that you were really polishing a turd with that one though. I guess my question is, Was it leaking before you did the repair? If it was, them you really didnt do yourself any favors, as it will have to be redone quite soon. The water has /had already gotten into the substrate. If not, then what you did makes some sense. You could have done the same thing with a tarp too, and that would have been faster and even cheaper. It is kind of like adding air to a tire with a small leak that is getting worse. At some time, you have to decide to either fix it or it will fail and cause a lot of potential damage.

Since you were the customer on this one, you made that call. I would not do that for a regular customer. It would not make sense to me. JMHO

It was leaking. in several spots. When I am done with the repair, putting on edge metal correctly and an asphalt coating that roof will not need attention for 5 years. A blue roof will need replacement in the spring.

It is not anything like adding air to a leaking tire. I fixed it.

I can qarranty in 5 years I will make any necessary repairs and it will last another 5 years. This is not a band-aid repair that I hope the check clears before it rains. LOL

October 22, 2016 at 8:59 a.m.

Lefty1

twill59 Said: Seriously, tho Lefty, while I dont dis agree with, I do believe what you have said is consumer driven more so than contractor driven. We just get into the habit of providing typical solutions to what we think are typical requests

Exactly, I agree with you.

October 22, 2016 at 8:56 a.m.

Lefty1

seen-it-all Said: Theres not many products that you can make 1000% on like the price of roof cement and coating. As an owner of rentals, did you charge a high price to write off rental income or a low price to not show company profit or was it pro bono?

Seen-it-all, It is my favorite roofing product. It has the highest profit margin and like Tomb says we also create the greatest value for the customer.

On my properties is pro bono. It does not matter to me where I make the money. Now that you brought up the question, I need to ask my accountant how I should do that.

I always get better questions to ask when I come here.

October 22, 2016 at 8:53 a.m.

Old School

Lefty, you have to admit that you were really "polishing a turd" with that one though. I guess my question is, Was it leaking before you did the repair? If it was, them you really didn't do yourself any favors, as it will have to be redone quite soon. The water has /had already gotten into the substrate. If not, then what you did makes some sense. You could have done the same thing with a tarp too, and that would have been faster and even cheaper. It is kind of like adding air to a tire with a small leak that is getting worse. At some time, you have to decide to either fix it or it will fail and cause a lot of potential damage.

Since you were the "customer" on this one, you made that call. I would not do that for a regular customer. It would not make sense to me. JMHO

October 22, 2016 at 8:05 a.m.

TomB

Hey - This is expanding - I like it.

Seems to be a variable perspective on this.....Don't want to speak for others - However, IMO it's not about being "cheap"- It's about providing authentic "value".

I reside in a geographic area that is pounded by hail. In among the homes in our neighborhood are 20+ years old roofs that have gone through many hailstorms - Most of which still exhibit the subsequent resultant "damages" - still performing, while most of the roofs in the areas have been replaced several times over that time period.

Today, more than ever, (especially in this state), residential re-roof, "roofers" are less & less knowledgeable and more opportunistic than ever. With the advent of satellite measuring services, insurance adjusters who basically perform take-offs, as well as accommodating supplies who perpetuate them by providing dump trailers & other equipment, along with a "psuedo-subcontractor" labor pool to which comes fully tooled, these charlatans pretty-much simply run their mouths, ("sell") - No real business/trade knowledge required. This works with homeowners - Not-so-much with commercial property owners, (they're a bit more educated - typically).....But I digress.....

I will always recommend what is best for the client - Sometimes it's a new roof - Sometimes it's a simple repair that will get them another 5-10 yrs out of their roof. Any warm body can recommend a new roof - Of course that should "solve" their roof problem. However, it takes a true knowledgeable & ethical businessman/craftsman to decipher & offer the most cost-effective/RESPONSIBLE route.

October 22, 2016 at 1:45 a.m.

natty

This is one weird topic.

I don't think you are necessarily a hack for going cheap because a hack just doesn't care. But doing that kind of work is usually what slumlords request. Are you going to start pushing seconds now? They go for less than $10 a bundle. Hire a few day laborers and you can get the work done for next to nothing and pocket plenty of profits.

It is a paradox- there is virtue in conservation and there is virtue in just doing it right as in full potential. Go cheap too often, then everything around you is cheapened.

October 21, 2016 at 9:17 p.m.

seen-it-all

There's not many products that you can make 1000% on like the price of roof cement and coating. As an owner of rentals, did you charge a high price to write off rental income or a low price to not show company profit or was it pro bono?

October 21, 2016 at 2:25 p.m.

Lefty1

TomB Said: Good for you Lefty! Very few these days possess such character. After-all, isnt that what its supposed to be all about? A contractors role that is - Providing the client the most value for their $?

Tom, Yes, I do believe that is our role.

I believe that we as contractors use the sales pitch "that is the best value for the customer". Yet is it not really the easiest for us to just put on a new roof.

I have told customers with the money you have, this is what i can do. People may tell you that I do not know what I am doing and I am a hack. I will give you a leak free roof with the money you have.

October 21, 2016 at 8:05 a.m.

TomB

Good for you Lefty! Very few these days possess such character. After-all, isn't that what it's supposed to be all about? A contractors' role that is - Providing the client the most value for their $?

October 20, 2016 at 10:24 p.m.

Lefty1

twill59 Said: Cheapskate

:laugh:

That is one way to look at it.LOL

I see it as a green roof. Nothing goes to the landfill. Uses a fraction of the materials a new roof would use. Half a bucket of roof cement, 1/4 roll of fabric, 1 1/2 pieces of edge metal, and 2 gallons of roof coating. Conserving our natural resources.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Johns Manville - TPO- Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices