User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Picture of Double Coverage Roofing and a Repair On It.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Lefty1

Most people would say this roof is shot.

I have made a lot of money with a can of roof cement, trowels, and rolls of fabric. You are not alone, if you tell me that roof is shot. I am the only one in my company that would say this roof can be repaired.

I need to put edging on the front and coat it with asphalt coating.

I got more on my glasses then I got on me.LOL They fell out of my pocket.

Fixed 2 porches today. They are on 2 of houses I just bought.

Here is the picture of the final repairs before the coating and a picture of the coated roof.

November 11, 2016 at 2:04 a.m.

Mike H

Lefty,

(Imagine a thumbs-up emoji here)

November 6, 2016 at 4:58 p.m.

natty

Lefty Said: Slumlord, just the opposite, because I make the best use of my money when fixing things on my properties, I provide more for the tenants. My property manager has my houses rented before I have them ready. All my properties are in destress areas.

What more do you provide for the tenants? Cheaper rents? Why are those areas in distress? A question for social science class?

Personally, I don't believe in feudalism. Yet I have done many roofs for landlords. And no matter how noble they start, they all eventually become slumlords and all that matters is their "profits". The tax code is rigged for such capitalists.

I have a client who brags about buying a house then doing just enough work to get a tenant to rent it out. Then he never quite gets around to finishing things that need to be done. Then bitches about the tenant who calls about fixing this or that. Dang- that is the definition of a slumlord.

Gov't steps in and requires minimum standards and all of the landlords bitch again.

Ha. I hate cheap flippers, too.

November 6, 2016 at 1:28 a.m.

Lefty1

Thanks Twill59. It is peaceful doing work like that. The rest of the world is somewhere else.

November 5, 2016 at 4:35 p.m.

Lefty1

Hi Mike H,

Your Dad is correct. I would need a lot of practice to be a good roofer. Toilet paper would be a challenge.

Would not deter any birds. Walked over it today to take the picture.

Here are the last 2 pictures.

November 4, 2016 at 9:56 a.m.

Mike H

I don't wear glasses, 'cept for the occassional menu in poor light. But my phone has looked like those glasses. After the phone went down a drain with no elbow, I started putting a velcro strip on the back side of my phone. Stays in the shirt pocket much better now. Don't think that's a viable solution to the loose glasses problem.

I think this repair will be an effective deterant to roof perching. Sort of like that gummy anti-pigeon stuff.

Dad always said "A good roofer can make it watertight with asphalt coated toilet paper....." I have a box of Charmin coming your way, Lefty.

Slum Lords are all the same, ain't they? LOL

Nice work. Look forward to the finished pics.

November 2, 2016 at 9:16 a.m.

wywoody

egg Said: I hate it when my glasses fall off like that. Happens all too often these days.)

Even though I've had prescription glasses for about a decade, just this year I started wearing them at work. I haven't had them fall into mastic yet. But because they are bifocal I had initially a problem with stepping off the ladder one rung too soon when descending. Oops, the ground isn't as close as it looks.

October 28, 2016 at 2:42 p.m.

egg

I've done repairs like that over the years and sometimes it makes people happy or grateful, but often by the time a membrane starts to split that way, it just continues to split elsewhere during subsequent expansion/contraction cycles. In my experience old BUR roofs reaching the end of life do one of two things, they either chafe and break down between layers, or they split. Chaffing you can kind of work with, but patching splits is usually a very short-term fix. (On the other hand, maybe that cap sheet membrane isn't actually splitting. I hate it when my glasses fall off like that. Happens all too often these days.)

October 26, 2016 at 8:53 a.m.

The SEAN

I really don't, but I wish more roofers would have this same predicament, It reminds me of the union workers that support the union but when they need work done, don't hire union guys. The roofers push replacement or high cost repairs when a much cheaper repair is acceptable to the customer. They need to have this experience and run their company like that. Now that doesn't mean always give the cheapest repair, give the repair that is best for the customer at the time. If you give the customer what they want and need, while explaining to them all the options, prices, life expectancy, etc. you can't go wrong, and you'll get a call from them or someone they know. But then, this also has to do with your business and selling philosophy, to each his own..... At the current time, right now, I take care of about 600 properties, all shapes and sizes, all by myself. I only have to bid the work on one of them, all the others, what I say goes, because I have the customer's best interests in mind. "Best interests" is more than just the most expensive repair to get the job done. It has the customers money situation, future of the property, previous repairs, etc. involved too. sometimes a repair only needs to last 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, until they take the next step, maybe selling the property, maybe total replacement, maybe they can afford a better repair when they get more money.

Now after saying all that, I like the roofers that throws the most expensive repair at the customer, or the one that won't even set the ladder up for at least X amount of $$. Keep it up guys ! I can always take more of your customers.

October 25, 2016 at 8:06 p.m.

tinner666

Nice work. I've done this many times and some people see it as maintenance and have a 5-year schedule in their budget for this.

October 22, 2016 at 3:06 p.m.

Lefty1

seen-it-all Said: Being a rental in a distressed area of town probably means you have tenants that only want a dry place to live and dont care what the roof looks like. What lefty did will survive the future abuse better than a new cap sheet.

The wear on the roof is probably from traffic in and out of the window, chairs out on the roof on a hot summer night, countless dumpings of stale beer, french fries and chicken bones or wash water dumped out the window or maybe a convenient urinal when the bathroom is occupied.

That is hilarious. I have seen that more then once. Also in my younger days have done most of the stuff you listed. LOL

October 22, 2016 at 2:59 p.m.

Lefty1

wywoody Said: I have no problem with the repair as far as effectiveness. But is the view out the window not worth the cost of a cheap cap sheet?

Why was there so much more damage to the area right in front of the window? Was it from being scuffed up because someone loaded something on it? A drip from the upper roof?

First the job is not complete. I did not have edge metal with me. Then it will be coated with asphalt coating. I will post the finished pictures next week after the rain stops.

The damage in the middle at the edge is because they installed the edge metal wrong. They installed it under the membrane instead of on top. Thus the wind uplift and the damage. The area above that in the center is the aluminum roof coating has pealed off.

October 22, 2016 at 11:49 a.m.

seen-it-all

wywoody Said: I have no problem with the repair as far as effectiveness. But is the view out the window not worth the cost of a cheap cap sheet?

Why was there so much more damage to the area right in front of the window? Was it from being scuffed up because someone loaded something on it? A drip from the upper roof?

Being a rental in a distressed area of town probably means you have tenants that only want a dry place to live and don't care what the roof looks like. What lefty did will survive the future abuse better than a new cap sheet.

The wear on the roof is probably from traffic in and out of the window, chairs out on the roof on a hot summer night, countless dumpings of stale beer, french fries and chicken bones or wash water dumped out the window or maybe a convenient urinal when the bathroom is occupied.

Putting myself in lefty's shoes as a landlord, I would loose some sleep if my tenant was abusing a new $2500. porch roof but would give it no thought the way it is until it springs a leak years down the road.

October 22, 2016 at 10:01 a.m.

wywoody

I have no problem with the repair as far as effectiveness. But is the view out the window not worth the cost of a cheap cap sheet?

October 22, 2016 at 9:26 a.m.

Lefty1

natty Said: This is one weird topic.

I dont think you are necessarily a hack for going cheap because a hack just doesnt care. But doing that kind of work is usually what slumlords request. Are you going to start pushing seconds now? They go for less than $10 a bundle. Hire a few day laborers and you can get the work done for next to nothing and pocket plenty of profits.

It is a paradox- there is virtue in conservation and there is virtue in just doing it right as in full potential. Go cheap too often, then everything around you is cheapened.

Coming from you, I take that as a compliment.

I will put on a better roof with day labors. Then most professional roofers.

Slumlord, just the opposite, because I make the best use of my money when fixing things on my properties, I provide more for the tenants. My property manager has my houses rented before I have them ready. All my properties are in destress areas.

October 22, 2016 at 9:18 a.m.

Lefty1

TomB Said: Hey - This is expanding - I like it.

Seems to be a variable perspective on this.....Dont want to speak for others - However, IMO its not about being cheap- Its about providing authentic value.

I reside in a geographic area that is pounded by hail. In among the homes in our neighborhood are 20+ years old roofs that have gone through many hailstorms - Most of which still exhibit the subsequent resultant damages - still performing, while most of the roofs in the areas have been replaced several times over that time period.

Today, more than ever, (especially in this state), residential re-roof, roofers are less & less knowledgeable and more opportunistic than ever. With the advent of satellite measuring services, insurance adjusters who basically perform take-offs, as well as accommodating supplies who perpetuate them by providing dump trailers & other equipment, along with a psuedo-subcontractor labor pool to which comes fully tooled, these charlatans pretty-much simply run their mouths, (sell) - No real business/trade knowledge required. This works with homeowners - Not-so-much with commercial property owners, (theyre a bit more educated - typically).....But I digress.....

I will always recommend what is best for the client - Sometimes its a new roof - Sometimes its a simple repair that will get them another 5-10 yrs out of their roof. Any warm body can recommend a new roof - Of course that should solve their roof problem. However, it takes a true knowledgeable & ethical businessman/craftsman to decipher & offer the most cost-effective/RESPONSIBLE route.

I agree 100%.

When I am doing some of my work. I laugh to myself. One day you are going to be a viral video about the way you are cheating the customer like been has said.

I do not even check any of my roofs after a hail storm. I have never been to a leaking roof from hail damage and I am 61 years old. I tell customers that do not have a mortgage to put the money away an use the money in 20 years when they truly need a new roof. Most people are convinced that their roof is going to leak in the near future.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Johns Manville - TPO- Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar