User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

pics from a job we have going

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

WildBill

here are some pics from a job we have going...thought you might like to see them.

curb

typical valley

after setting a new A/C unit in place, we find that it doesn't fit, but I think we can make it work with some framming changes, but we have to wait on the engineering.

March 30, 2010 at 6:59 a.m.

robert

In my area two libarys were roofed like this about 4 years ago with standing seam,they screwed the valleys and it looked horrible to me.Saturday they were tearing off the roof on one by my house,they were on z channel no dead valley though.They were screwing OSB back on a structure that the z is on 4 foot centers and installing durations.Yesterday on of the sobs was tearing the shingle felt and decking back off the front of the building,i suspect the parish engineer found something he didnt like.I was surprised to see them putting decking and shingles on a building that was built and designed for a metal roof.I reline builtin gutters on metal buildings all the time done with that same spec as that valley,i make good money off that spec as it dont last and steel will rot out where its in constant moisture as the bottom of that valley would be.

March 29, 2010 at 10:10 p.m.

WildBill

The valley plate is fixed at the eave and expands toward the ridge as do all the panels. This is a much stronger and weathertight installation method than cleated eaves and cleated valleys where the panels are fixed at the ridge. I've done lots of metal roofs both ways, and I prefer the panel fixed at the eaves.

March 29, 2010 at 9:34 p.m.

Alba

Triangle fasteners has come up with a new screw design called VRT(vibration resistence technology).

March 24, 2010 at 7:27 p.m.

copperman

That valley just don't look right to me. What happens when expansion starts doing it's work? Screws in the bottom of the valleys???? Not on my watch.

March 24, 2010 at 4:33 p.m.

tinner666

Never used that detail. The preferred detail is a locking strip attached to the valley metal, the panels are then hooked on it. No exposed screws anywhere, and no exposed sealant.

March 24, 2010 at 4:03 p.m.

copperman

What is this guy doing? Looks like he killing someone with a screw gun :unsure:

March 24, 2010 at 3:07 p.m.

WildBill

Hey Mike, no offence taken....This is exactly the same as a Steelox system. I think Steelox was an approved equal on this job but they are not a big player in this state. From what I have heard Steelox was the first manuf to use the basic details and many other manuf copied their lead. Many of the datails have been improved on over the years.

This roof is by Architectural Integrated Metals (AIM)

wywoody, There is 2" wide x 3/16" thick run of tape mastic between the panel and the valley flashing. As you can see the screws are centered in the tape mastic, 1" off the edge of the panel. The valley has an 18 ga back-up plate that the screws are screwed into so they are not going to back out.

I would think the kynar 500 paint would be the first part to fail...It has a 35 year warranty, and I would think that's about it's limit.

The jobs we did 19 years ago are still going strong with no leaks or problems. The washers, which are epdm are not exposed to sunlight and the butyl mastic is not exposed to sunlight either should last a long long time...I've seen tape mastic in panel seams 30 years old that looked brand new.

The screw heads are made of zinc aluminum "Zac" brand that does not rust.

Vaa, This is what's called a retro-fit system. We frame a sloped roof system over the existing flat roof. The big selling point of these roofs is that they are getting rid of their leaking flat roofs and replacing them with something that looks good and is a good roof. Most of the owners I deal with are fed up with leaking flat roofs.

Jed, I see that you are in Baton Rouge...The closest roof I have to you a scool in Mise MS, and another one in Laurel MS but I know there are many many roofs like this in your area. Check out some of the schools or armories in your area. You can find them and have a look.

March 24, 2010 at 8:30 a.m.

Jed

There is something ingrained in my sub-concience that would not allow me to put fasteners in a valley. It'd be like trying to run my fingers through a table saw.

March 24, 2010 at 8:14 a.m.

wywoody

What sealant do you use? Are you concerned that if the fasteners in the valley at the bottom of the panels ever allow water in, it will be sealed in?

March 24, 2010 at 7:58 a.m.

Mike H

Wildbill,

No offense meant with my prior comments. I was referring to thru fastened systems in general.

And.... with a closer look at the pictures, it reminds me of the Steelox systems we were licensed for years ago. Let it go, as metal in general just wasn't our main gig anyway. Steelox details were very good and sound like what you described.

What system is this?

March 24, 2010 at 6:47 a.m.

WildBill

Most of the problems with screws comming loose are because:

The guy that installed it stripped it out.

There is not a back-up plate of 16 or 18 ga. steel.

It is installed where there is too much stress on it.

Don't get me wrong, I like smacna details and we installed lots of roofs like that, but there are better metal roof details for certain applications.

March 23, 2010 at 6:38 p.m.

WildBill

Vaa, These standing seam details are from the metal building industry, and they don't leak, and they have been around for quite a while.. I've been installing roofs like this since 91.

The roof panels can be totally flooded and not leak. The entire system (curbs, gutters, all flashings)has a manufacturer's 20 year no dollar limit weather tightness warranty.

One advantage over smaca details is that they can be installed on slopes down to 1/4 to 12. Another advantage is they can withstand water under pressure. Water doesn't always run downhill.

The gutter systems do not have to have expansion joints. It has a clip that allows it to move.

The only exposed screws are at the perimeters and curbs. It is a standing seam panel, with concealed clips. There is a mastic installed in the seam and then the seam is machine seamed 360 degrees, like a double lock. In the pictures, the panel has not been seamed yet.

you can see some of our roofs at our website www.johnskirksey.com

This roof cost the owner about $15/ sf with out the mechanical and elect work and I have about a 20% profit in it. I think I won the bid against 5 other contractors that were bidding on exactly the same thing.

March 23, 2010 at 2:57 p.m.

Mike H

Vaa,

Welcome the US "keep it cheap" way of doing things. Thru-fastened metal roof systems are pretty common over here, and you're right, in time, it will leak, and that time will most likely be a lot sooner than a concealed clip system. Blame it on the guy that sold it or designed it, or the customer that said "Keep it cheap".

March 23, 2010 at 11:41 a.m.

WildBill

Thanks Steve...I'm glad it works now

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/wildbill100/IMG_0346.jpg[/IMG]

This is the start of the job, where we tore off the existing modified roof and installed a temp epdm roof. [IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/wildbill100/IMG_4034.jpg[/IMG]

March 22, 2010 at 10:59 p.m.

egg

How did you see them?

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS - L&L contest
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
USG - Sidebar - Fire
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest