User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Pic of the Day

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

dennis

Hmmm lets see if I can figure this photo posting out.

I think I've got it. :cheer:

December 16, 2009 at 3:55 p.m.

RandyB1986

I would say the flashing is the least of this problem.....and wonder why in the hell they build chimneys in a valley!!

I would tear down the entire chimney, deck it and run a 4" PVC pipe with a boot :)

December 16, 2009 at 2:37 p.m.

copperman

Lanny I agree and would of done the same thing.

December 16, 2009 at 2:37 p.m.

copperman

Lanny I agree and would of done the same thing.

December 15, 2009 at 12:34 a.m.

OLE Willie

Base step flashing wouldn't help, however counter step flashing would make it look right on the sides at the top portion of the chimney. They could have at least put one more step counter flashing piece in union with the ones below and then if they were too lazy to step the whole backside of the chimney at least the big ugly piece would be hidden on the backside of the chimney and not showing from the ground. lol

December 14, 2009 at 6:30 p.m.

Old School

Like Mike said, steps would do no good on the back with a one piece membrane all the way up.

December 14, 2009 at 2:42 p.m.

kage

Yes I do too when i come across them,around here you only see them on 3' and wider...

December 14, 2009 at 12:42 p.m.

OLE Willie

Kage said: Just curious would you have stepped the counter in back as well? YES! I would! That looks like shait! lol If i lived next door I would cringe everytime i went out onto my patio. I wouldn't be able to not look up at the 7 brick jump at the top. :dry:

December 14, 2009 at 9:46 a.m.

Jed

Good catch John, I never even noticed the missing steps. FYI, when a "one piece" is used that way, it is more effective to tighten the angle on the vertical cut. Make it a 45degree instead of a 90. It wont require caulking then.

December 14, 2009 at 8:53 a.m.

Jed

kage Said:
OLE Willie Said: The funny looking part is that on the sides of the chimney the counter step flashing is about 3 bricks high up off the roof until you get to the top piece which is an amazing 10 bricks high. lol They were going up 1 brick with each piece but the last piece goes up 7 bricks. lol

Just curious would you have stepped the counter in back as well?

Good points both. I don't see how else it could be done. The back apron could have been dropped by one course but it would hardly make any difference, it is still long enough for wind driven rain to get through. Hard to say whether that is 90lb or SBS, from the slight crease in the top it could be I+W shield.

December 14, 2009 at 8:11 a.m.

kage

OLE Willie Said: The funny looking part is that on the sides of the chimney the counter step flashing is about 3 bricks high up off the roof until you get to the top piece which is an amazing 10 bricks high. lol They were going up 1 brick with each piece but the last piece goes up 7 bricks. lol

Just curious would you have stepped the counter in back as well?

December 14, 2009 at 7:28 a.m.

Old School

I would bet that is a modified Bitumen instead of 90# Hey, it it doesn't leak, who are we to criticize?

December 14, 2009 at 2:15 a.m.

OLE Willie

The funny looking part is that on the sides of the chimney the counter step flashing is about 3 bricks high up off the roof until you get to the top piece which is an amazing 10 bricks high. lol They were going up 1 brick with each piece but the last piece goes up 7 bricks. lol

December 13, 2009 at 7:18 p.m.

craftesman

if i remember right the code book said 1/4 of the chimney width high.i try to make mine the same pitch as the roof. it looks better i think

December 13, 2009 at 5:03 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

I would have at least installed ridge cap as an extra protectant.

December 13, 2009 at 4:35 p.m.

copperman

Always amazed as to why they make those crickets so big. Just a few inches high would do the same job especially since the chimney is only 24 inches wide.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad