User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Pay scale for a Production Manager.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Robby the Roofer

In your opinion, what would be an appropriate pay for a "production Manager" ?

Duties Include:

-managing four (4 man crews) and 2 repair techs -material control and accountability (supply manager) -evaluate bids for correctness -scheduling and dispatch of each crew and tech -create and implement safety program/meetings(safety officer) -crew training to include current techniques -working with customers from start to finish of each job -maintaining of all vehicles and trailers -Roof and safety inspections (QC manager) -handle all emergencies customer/crew related

June 17, 2010 at 7:50 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

I agree with "humbled's" assessment of the difficulties a job like this that can take a toll on a person. I know what you are feeling. Trying to maintain 4 or more crews can be daugnting task in addition to all the other task that are added upon you.

When I managed the 7 crews, I found that others would ask me to accomplish task. As an up and coming office worker, I fell into the trap of doing everyone else's work. To boot, I was asked to watch over a commercial job closely (by the salesman)as there was $7,000 in repairs along with the origional contract. I did ALL the leg work and finished with $18,000 worth of repairs and paid in full as well. From there on out, he shifted all the commercial bids to me as well as do roof evaluations and building reports for clients. Didn't get one dime!

I understand now that I was being used, and I did suffer in my position. What I also learned is to be proactive....it reduces the problems that could arise on a daily basis.

June 17, 2010 at 4:34 p.m.

tico

Jed Said: Tico I wasnt taking issue with your statement personally but with the way this thread is going generally and it starts with the very first post. Weve all known super roofers and crews that brag about roofing 15 hrs a day and the fact is there comes a point where that when the hours in the day arent best utilised and/or the workload is too much then it becomes counter productive and dangerous.
I apologize then for taking issue.I apparently read more into it than was necessary. I'm just proud of my accomplishment and the standard that was set by what I applied vs. what others were doing and then the result I got.it was somewhat ego when I did the job.in 3 weeks I did what they'd tried to do in 4 years.and I was successful.that co. in particular was having problems.I've always known how to work and respect help.one day I was the help,then became the boss.it took me only A minute to realize that for me it worked better when I worked with my guys rather than them working "for"me.I was in charge yet never overbearing,yet not flexible to quality. I learned from old rednecks.the type that'd fist fight their brother then go to lunch hand in hand.LOL anyways,again I apologize for my headiness.

June 17, 2010 at 4:11 p.m.

TARBABY

Jed Said: Tico I wasnt taking issue with your statement personally but with the way this thread is going generally and it starts with the very first post. Weve all known super roofers and crews that brag about roofing 15 hrs a day and the fact is there comes a point where that when the hours in the day arent best utilised and/or the workload is too much then it becomes counter productive and dangerous.

counter productive and dangerous is exactly what working like that is, It affected my health, days ran together, dragging ass every day, being miserable, and missing a year out of my sons life(the 1st year i might add) due to being over worked by a company that did not care for me, just what they could get out of me, as long as i handled the work load, no reason to increase over head. Because I was in such a bad place at the time, I took it, I needed the job, but there is no amount of money worth that hell, ever.

It used to disgust me knowing that a salesman made an 800$ commission off a house and the 6 guys who roofed it had to split 600$. It used to disgust me that i could not even get a single day off, yet the fat cat salesmen were taking vacations for 2 weeks and making 250k per year, and I tried my hand at selling, and i guess my morals are to high to keep up with those guys because i sell just fine for myself.

People or crews who brag about working those hours and that brutal of a schedule can have it, I have no interest in working myself into an early grave, because I am doing my family no good at all 6 feet under. I did it for a year and thats it for me, I got back on my feet, and started my home improvement business, and I could not be happier.

June 17, 2010 at 2:31 p.m.

Jed

Tico I was'nt taking issue with your statement personally but with the way this thread is going generally and it starts with the very first post. Wev'e all known super roofers and crews that brag about roofing 15 hrs a day and the fact is there comes a point where that when the hours in the day are'nt best utilised and/or the workload is too much then it becomes counter productive and dangerous.

June 17, 2010 at 1:09 p.m.

tico

Jed Said: I smell some bullshit ........20 hrs a day....25 jobs a week......nobody pulls those kinds of numbers and does the job right, uh-uh no one.
I wasn't building,I went to each job and tried to get their before 10:00am.usually 5,and then of the evening remake them to keep crews somewhat accountable.did other things,small repairs,chased material and helped sles people.of 55 me and one other guy had roofed a few had worked const. and A couple sold foor materials and lumber. storm crews that actually build have as limited accountability as they do memory.I stayed on top of the jobs conscientously and like I would want someone to do if they were watching my baby. and I never said I worked 20 hrs A day,they wanted to add things,that had I attempted to do them would have created that time allotment. that was the severance point. the crews had 7-10 men each and would do just about every roof they were scheduled to do in that day. I had A job,I did the best I could.what I posted originally is what I did 6-7 days a week.up at 5:30,on the first roof by 7:15 7:30 and would finish with about 10-14 hrs. A day. I really don't need to have you believe me.I know what I did,I know I did the best I could.I worked hard and it didn't kill me. I grew up with spud hammer,bull trowel and mop calloused hands.

PS,no one does the job right,sure,yet when you put worthy eyes and ears,attached to a knowledgable brain that speaks the language of the workers and the trade,you can cut down on the mistakes and repairs. I don't know their last names,2 brothers,they were colombian,Freddy and Fernando,F&F roofing.you might just know someone who knows them. if it means that much to you ask them,about the suave loco gringo.they don't need to lie.

June 17, 2010 at 11:54 a.m.

Jed

I smell some bullshit ........20 hrs a day....25 jobs a week......nobody pulls those kinds of numbers and does the job right, uh-uh no one.

June 17, 2010 at 11:34 a.m.

Robby the Roofer

I have managed 7 crews to the tune of about 14-25 jobs per week, the commercial salesman asked me to monitor a commercial job a little closely because there could be up to $7,000 in budget repairs in the job. At first...I thought it a challenge (to do everything)so I rolled with it. In the end, they increased thier budget and we were able to get $18,000 in repairs. From that time on, the salesman had me bid on all the commercial repairs, do roof evaluation reports regularly.

Today, it is only obvious he used me...I found myself shifting most of my QC inspections for the weekend as thier would not be anyone calling me to do something else.

Four crews is a lighter load, but the other duties could get heavy at times.

June 17, 2010 at 10:44 a.m.

tico

I did this for A "national" company. it started out ok.it was simple,the shinglers wanted to do whatever got them off the job ASAP with no accountability.they found it easier to hurry,and take the chance of a leak vs. doing it right the first time. I was offered the position.i took it.you know what the biggest problem was? you had salesman as the police for the crews and the roof they were doing for said salesman.I worked in an office with 55 salespeople.A bunch of men and women drunken junked out overpaid crybabies.they couldn't find their ass on a roof with 2 hands. they for the most part hated the mexicans,and told them so.didn't know sh!t from shingle and they would complain about nothing. so here I go,fighting this demon.and what 2 things were my saving grace?I speak spanish,and learned roofing in miami.from gravel hots as A kid,then as it evolved to what it is today.from soup to nuts. so the first thing I do is I go to each crew,with A bag of dollar biscuits from mc d's.I don't bite my tounge.I tell them what the salesman really are,that theirs nothing to fear (many salesman would use the word immigration as A derogatory comment,and then wonder what the hurry was)I would identify the problems they'd make,with a spade,fork or hammer in my hand,first words,con permiso,which means excuse me.and i'd show them what I preferede and what the co. wanted.yet I never used the term the company.they like so many of us are prideful and independant.they would rather deal with the situation man to man.leave big brother at the office. it took about 3 weeks,the shingle sub did about 5 roofs A day 6-7 days A week.so your talkin 90 more or less jobs. they went from an average of 15-30 problem repairs A week to maybe 4-5.and the simple ones I did myself. I would tell them I did it for them,which I ultimately did. I had guys that respected me.they took direction because it was offered in the manner of A hands on lesson,not delegation,fear or an or else situation. why do I not work for this co.?the owner was a fine man. what happened was the inspection team manager wanted to put on my plate more work than I was able to handle. my job was to inspect installation,property,and some finals on a random basis.I went to 5 jobs A day.ran some materials,helped salesman who couldn't measure,or walk 12's safely with adjusters etc.fielded calls from sales staff and remedied altercations with sales and production crews.calmed down h/o's. they wanted to add that I would inspect every completed job.anchor and harness off on every job. and give it at least A 15 min. inspection,then go in the attic(which was previously the salesmans job)to inspect all flues for attachment.which with drive time,in and of itself would be about an hour. add that 5 hrs. to 5 start inspections,then 5 second inspections,rotating and alternating through the days and crews to see them intermittantly.then a bundle here,some plywood there,and some sticks of metal 2 counties over.then the sales staff and their issues. so whats that worth?they paid the gas,and no truck time or mileage.which they say should be by mileage.I drove at a minimum of 140 to as many as 270 A day,so whats mileage reimbursement?then on A few occasions I did some big repairs,which had I not done them on the salary time,which was not as per the original agreement,it would have cost 2500.00 for one and about 13-1400.00 for the other. they broke me out to about 12-13 an hr by the end of the week and that didn't include the vehicle.which then would have reduced that to about 10-11.00 an hour. who's right?I took the job,at the time the original agreement with LC was fine.his inspection manager just kinda told me I was A loser if I couldn't take the added burden. we only have 24 hrs. a day,given to us by God.and he wanted to hold me to 18 of them tied up 7 days A week.so my life according to mike was only worth 6 hrs A day,and less when he saw fit.he said that sometimes we had to give 20 hrs a day.sad state of affairs. for a good inspector

June 16, 2010 at 10:20 p.m.

jimAKAblue

You two guys are talking about signicantly different job descriptions. Robby indicated that he managed about ten jobs per week. You (Humbled) are talking about 40 to50!

That is an apples to oranges discussion.

June 15, 2010 at 2:35 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

The key is to be proactive in everything you do to reduce the times you have to react to a situation. Reacting is the easiest, you just make a decision when needed then go with it.

June 15, 2010 at 2:06 p.m.

Jed

Robby the Roofer Said: You know jed :( ...the more I read :dry: your responce :) the wider :cheer: my smile got. I am one of the few who actually like roofing and everything about it, the job is not as stressful to me. I did this type of job for about 2 1/2 yrs (except supply manager) and was paid 1400 a week. I thought that the pay was kind of unique in that they were the only company around that paid that amount. When I mention the pay to other owners in interviews...there mouths dropped !

Well that's just great Robby, very happy for you. If you can wear that many hats and still do a decent job then you indeed ARE THE MAN. Fourteen hundred a week does'nt even come close. I'd be looking around five grand a week, net, because so many other positions have been made redundant. Good luck.

June 15, 2010 at 1:10 p.m.

TARBABY

jimAKAblue Said:
Robby the Roofer Said: You know jed :( ...the more I read :dry: your responce :) the wider :cheer: my smile got. I am one of the few who actually like roofing and everything about it, the job is not as stressful to me. I did this type of job for about 2 1/2 yrs (except supply manager) and was paid 1400 a week. I thought that the pay was kind of unique in that they were the only company around that paid that amount. When I mention the pay to other owners in interviews...there mouths dropped !

Its a full time job but it certainly shouldnt be 85 hours unless there was significant drive time between jobs.

Someone needs better systems and should learn to delegate a bit.

Significant drive time between jobs was the least of my worries. I did not create their systems, i was guinea pigged into finding out what worked best, but I had little to no say so in the matter, and delegating is great, when you have someone to delegate to. By the time they hired me some help i was trying to over see 40-50 jobs per week on top of tarping 2 or more houses per day and trouble shooting and repairing leaks. It is more than one man is capable of doing and it ended up burning me out pretty bad. I needed the job because roofing here was slow because of the drought and noone was doing the insurance thing. It got me on my feet and I learned alot about what and what not to do, mostly, what not to do.

June 15, 2010 at 10:35 a.m.

jimAKAblue

It's a full time job but it certainly shouldn't be 85 hours unless there was significant drive time between jobs.

Someone needs better systems and should learn to delegate a bit.

June 15, 2010 at 10:01 a.m.

Robby the Roofer

You know jed :( ...the more I read :dry: your responce :) the wider :cheer: my smile got. I am one of the few who actually like roofing and everything about it, the job is not as stressful to me. I did this type of job for about 2 1/2 yrs (except supply manager) and was paid 1400 a week. I thought that the pay was kind of unique in that they were the only company around that paid that amount. When I mention the pay to other owners in interviews...there mouths dropped !

June 15, 2010 at 8:32 a.m.

TARBABY

Robby the Roofer Said: In your opinion, what would be an appropriate pay for a production Manager ?

Duties Include:

-managing four (4 man crews) and 2 repair techs -material control and accountability (supply manager) -evaluate bids for correctness -scheduling and dispatch of each crew and tech -create and implement safety program/meetings(safety officer) -crew training to include current techniques -working with customers from start to finish of each job -maintaining of all vehicles and trailers -Roof and safety inspections (QC manager) -handle all emergencies customer/crew related

I had this job, plus I did all the emergency tarping, fixed leaks, delivered materials to small projects, delivered materials to projects that ran short on materials, fought with dumpster companies on a daily basis, and still had to do mass amounts of computer work. In short my salary was 1115.00 per week before taxes and I had a gas and vehicle allowance. This lasted about a year. I was averaging in the 85-100 hours per week work week, 7 days per week.

I think I have a feeling as to which company that might be from, or at least another company stealing/sharing/using the same business model.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Johns Manville - Banner Ad - How to Connect with Vocational Schools (RLW)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
USG - Sidebar - Wind
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo